The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewoood View Post
Gonna preface by saying that my 2012 D-18 is an incredible sounding
instrument that makes me smile every time I play it.
But, I'm wondering if it actually may be too loud and direct for the purpose of non -amplified singer song writer style of playing.
I think maybe, possibly, perhaps I can empathize with what you're saying.

I have almost the same guitar (D-18V Adi), and it's not that you can't play it more softly, but it sounds best (to me) when it's played in a more robust manner. It wants to be played loud.

But if this is, at the core, an attempt at a rationale for shopping for a Gibson, more power to you.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAEL MYERS View Post
I agree, but sometimes you need a table saw and not a chainsaw.
Well......there is course, that
Old 05-27-2013, 04:09 PM

Wink Outta gas

One thing about GAS, in the late 80s when I was a struggling young family man I wanted a chorus pedal in the worse way. Just couldn't afford it. Flash forward to now, and who wants one of them things any more? Not me anyway. Sometimes you 'gotta dance with them that's brought ya'. Or buy the Gibson if it makes you happy...
Bought new in 1978
2010 Breedlove Passport "A" tuned
Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I would not take my GS Mini to a bluegrass jam just to better my ability with the mini when I know I can take my BR140A and fit right in.
There is tangible, identifiable and pragmatic reason (and or reason's) why, and obviously so, one would be silly to expect any of the "mini" guitars to flourish in a circle that assumably contains a mandolin and a banjo. I gotta REALLY, REALLY stretch to fit that into a reasonable scenario and comparison to the OP's situation. If the OP had said "I've been attending a Bluegrass circle with my Mini-Taylor (or whatever mini is currently hot) and I just can't seem to hear my solo's, would a Martin Ditson be better in that environment?" The obvious answer would be. If one needs that identifiable and pragmatic volume, one would have to go out and seek it and a Distson would certainly be a viable candidate. But honestly and obviously that's fairly removed form the OP's concern.

Quote:
If I want something that fits my needs I buy accordingly.
Yes.. And there-in lies the sum and total of my original point. A great musician makes adjustments that (at some point and hopefully) become symbiotic to the artist intent. Just buying and buying and buying is, in the end, the absolute antistasis of creativity. If the OP wanted to, there is zero doubt in my mind that the "offending D-18" could be tamed, perhaps through hard work, and become a powerful tool in his/her arsenal. In music (and for me) hard work trumps "buying something" every-time and there are no exceptions.

Quote:
why not just buy what he needs
Mostly (and for me) because "buying" does not equate to an artistic endeavor.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
A carpenter that's awful with his mitre saw doesn't get better if he runs out to Home Depot and buys a new mitre saw. He (or she) has gotta' invest some time into the craft.
Hmmm, maybe not altogether the most appropriate analogy ...

If the carpenter is "awful" with his miter saw, then the probability is that he is using an appallingly cheap Chinese machine which he got from Harbor Freight during a discount sale.

If the same carpenter were to use a Festool Kapex KS-120 Sliding Compound Miter Saw, (which I have had the pleasure of using, but cannot afford to buy) it would be almost impossible for him (or her) to be "awful" with his/her miter saw.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
Sing louder, play softer.

Keith
That gets my vote. A good loud guitar is like a car with a big lump- you can drive it really fast, but you can also cruise. With a car it is about your foot technique -with a guitar its about you picking technique.

You got a Ferrari ? Go shopping in it!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
There is tangible, identifiable and pragmatic reason (and or reason's) why, and obviously so, one would be silly to expect any of the "mini" guitars to flourish in a circle that assumably contains a mandolin and a banjo. I gotta REALLY, REALLY stretch to fit that into a reasonable scenario and comparison to the OP's situation. If the OP had said "I've been attending a Bluegrass circle with my Mini-Taylor (or whatever mini is currently hot) and I just can't seem to hear my solo's, would a Martin Ditson be better in that environment?" The obvious answer would be. If one needs that identifiable and pragmatic volume, one would have to go out and seek it and a Distson would certainly be a viable candidate. But honestly and obviously that's fairly removed form the OP's concern.

Yes.. And there-in lies the sum and total of my original point. A great musician makes adjustments that (at some point and hopefully) become symbiotic to the artist intent. Just buying and buying and buying is, in the end, the absolute antistasis of creativity. If the OP wanted to, there is zero doubt in my mind that the "offending D-18" could be tamed, perhaps through hard work, and become a powerful tool in his/her arsenal. In music (and for me) hard work trumps "buying something" every-time and there are no exceptions.

Mostly (and for me) because "buying" does not equate to an artistic endeavor.
Perhaps, perhaps not. As for what is right for YOU, only you can say. Whatever your "artistic" desires require, go for it.

The OP is obviously interested in a Gibson. I see no reason to not get one if he wants it. The D18 is a great guitar and I would be very happy for my purposes. I love my D28 and my BR140A is very close to a D18. But, its his decision as to what fits his needs. My GS Mini analogy is perfectly appropriate. Could I use my GS Mini for bluegrass? Sure I could! But, I would have to work to make it happen. Could James Taylor get by with an Epiphone? Sure he could. So, why doesn't he? Could it be that he chooses a guitar that better suites his needs? I don't totally buy the notion that "a great artist" adjusts his or her style to fit their instrument.

Todd
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM
billybillly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I think maybe, possibly, perhaps I can empathize with what you're saying.

I have almost the same guitar (D-18V Adi), and it's not that you can't play it more softly, but it sounds best (to me) when it's played in a more robust manner. It wants to be played loud.
I agree, well stated.

There are too many pontificators here who place technique above soul.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
But, I'm wondering if it actually may be too loud and direct for the purpose of non -amplified singer song writer style of playing.
Guitarlight kind of touched on it earlier, but I'm wondering if it's really the tone and not the volume of the guitar. I'd actually go the exact opposite route that Guitarlight mentioned, which shows how subjective all of this can be.

I had this same guitar - a 2012 D-18 - and I'm a singer-songwriter type. Great guitar and I have a voice with plenty of volume, but my voice didn't mesh with the heavy midrange of the D-18. I felt like I always had to sing over it.

I ended up trading it for an HD-28 which, of course, is rosewood. The midrange had the "scoop" that many are familiar with and it created a nice pocket for my voice. Singing took significantly less effort, important considering that "singing louder" is pretty much never the proper course if you want to avoid hurting yourself.

If your OM-21 isn't enough, I'd check out some big rosewood guitars, Gibson Slope Ds and otherwise, and see if their sound fits you better regardless of volume.

Adam
Old 05-28-2013, 03:27 PM

I would definitely recommend keeping the 18 as others have mentioned because they are quite capable in general. I try not to subscribe to buying a whole new guitar in order to deal with a problem that is completely solvable with some practice. If you are gigging, simply micing your voice through the pa would do the trick in the meantime, but your right hand technique sounds like it could use some refining to get the tone and volume you want. 18's are phenomenal and can be quite loud, but it is certainly within the realm of control.

I would personally love to have that volume sitting there in reserve for the rhythm parts or instrumental sections where you can really let her fly, but I would practice to reign it in during singing sections. Based on the year of your guitar, I would say give it time and get to know the Martin and acclimate your playing style to it. Don't expect any guitar to acclimate to you!! Invest in learning it inside and out, and you won't regret having that monster for break sections and lead lines!!!

Then down the road get a Gibson AJ as well...
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wondering if a Gibson slope would better suit my application.Or.......should I just tone down my right hand attack ????
Or ..... is this just some self serving scheme in my own mind to justify getting relief from Chronic Gibson Slope Gas pains ?
This is why I have an 18-style 14-fret dread (bluegrass, rock, strumming, leads) and a Gibson slope (writing, singing, rock, strumming). Both of 'em will do either but both of 'em have their wheelhouse.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
1. Ease-up on your attack
2. Keep the D18
3. Get a Gibson slope
You will then be set for life. Guitar-wise, you won't get much better than this combo, no matter how much money you spend.
AMEN brother!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Custom light or extra light strings ought to tame the guitar.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kabong View Post
You might consider using more of the dynamic range that's available in your D-18. Also, I've come to enjoy some singer songwriters that approach the guitar as sort of a duet partner, using it's dynamic range to match and/or provide counter-point where that's useful. You don't have to use all of that horsepower all of the time, nor do you have to present a full wall of rhythm guitar sound against which you probably won't be able to compete.
Well said Scott! My thoughts exactly...

To the OP, palm muting can be a very useful technique, which I do a lot with a flat pick. I think a good D-18 is a great guitar to sing with. But it may take some time to learn to control this great guitar.

- Glenn
Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmeister View Post
Custom light or extra light strings ought to tame the guitar.
They'll neuter it - not the same.

+5 for learning to better control your pick.

A guitar with a wide dynamic range is a joy.

George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion