The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-18-2024, 10:05 PM

Default Best Yamaha (or other?) for DAW (Logic X) recording in $500-800 range

Hi all. I'm looking to replace my first acoustic guitar (an Ovation I bought decades ago). As much as I'd like to someday be great at playing live, I mostly want to record (and a mixture of strumming and lead). I'm still building up my setup, but my goal would be to record into Apple Logic, perhaps plugged into an interface, perhaps microphoned, or probably a combination. So, in zeroing in on an acoustic, that's what I'm thinking about mostly.

I could be persuaded toward something else, but I'm seriously interested in something Yamaha, especially a FSX830 or AC1M in about the $500 range or a FS-Transacoustic at about the $700 range. As these models imply, I'm thinking I'd prefer a concert size to a dreadnought. I realize some people think AC3M are far better than the AC1M although I'd like to avoid spending that much. FWIW, I live in MN with super cold and dry winters, so while I'll look for some means to humidify, a guitar that's a bit more forgiving of imperfect humidification would be a plus. (I realize some say that concern is a downside for all solid wood construction like the AC3M but others say a laminated side/back guitar with solid top needs it just as much.)

I tried playing both the AC1M and FS-TA at Guitar Center. The FS-TA had no battery so I didn't get to try the effects, but for some reason it felt better. I think it may have just been set-up better though. The AC1M in the store had the action quite high and the intonation seemed off. I would suppose it wasn't something a truss rod adjustment couldn't fix, but even so, I'm not eager to buy a guitar that haven't heard sound good and playable. But maybe an AC1M (not necessarily that one) is still the better way to go for my needs.

Anyway, I'd love to here any general thoughts about these Yamaha possibilities and what else I should consider besides Yamaha. (I have a Yamaha TRBX605 bass I love.) Also, I'm wondering:

1. For recording into a computer DAW via an interface, do the Transacoustic effects matter? I can imagine for live performance they'd be great but presumably one could add such effects (chorus and reverb) within a DAW if one wanted them. Also, how good does the TA sound plugged in? I hear people talk about the awesome TA effects but not really so much if the pickup system for the lower end TA guitars is any good.

2. Is the SRT2 of the AC3M better than the standard SRT of the AC1M in a way that would necessarily matter for recording?

3. With any of these Yamahas, can I get a good sound from it plugged in, or should I just assume that I'd want to mostly or entirely go for the mic anyway?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

1. There's no such thing as a best Yamaha or any other kind of guitar for a daw. Just buy a guitar that inspires you to play.
2. Tracking effects is usually a bad idea because you can't make adjustments later. It's generally preferable to add the effects in post-production.
3. Pickups usually don't produce great guitar tracks. It's almost always preferable to record to your daw with microphones.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-19-2024, 07:49 AM

you'll want the 3 series yam's if you can stretch. The atmosfeel srt's are one of the best for recording. The transacoustics.... are for shutting down those Martins in the park.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 04-19-2024, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

The Atmosfeel system looks like a good stage option but it's still inferior by a good stretch to using microphones for a couple of reason...

Most importantly, it doesn't set itself apart from every other pickup that I'd never use for recording. The piezo quacks like every other piezo and the internal mic brings nothing special at all to the table. It's very meh.

Next, it's almost always preferable to record guitar in stereo. The Atmosfeel is going to leave you with a mono track. That's fine for the stage, but in the studio you want to have stereo options. The extra money you'd spend to have a pickup on board would be better spent put toward a couple of microphones.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 04-19-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:05 AM

people on agf assume that recording of guitar is done as the sole end result. Sure...if you're recording acoustic guitar....alone by itself...use every tool to bring out the elusive nature of acoustic guitar. But...if you're recording acoustic guitar as accompanying a vocal song with other elements....sorry...those beautiful stereo mic'd tracks don't retain their power the moment a human voice enters the picture.

As well...there's alot to be said for being able to record guitar when the grandkids are present in an untreated bedroom. Add some Re-Guitar and it sounds ok.

So there's lots of pickups to accomplish recording. And plenty of other tools...preamps, pedals etc. And mics...well...there's another large blackhole. But as for pickups....the prevalent winner here is the lr baggs anthem. I'd go with a yam with the atmosfeel myself. Check out Aaron's channel. He covers most of these pickups sooner rather than later.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 04-19-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
people on agf assume that recording of guitar is done as the sole end result.
So when someone is asking advice about recording guitar, we should assume they don't want to record guitar very well. Got it.

Quote:
...if you're recording acoustic guitar as accompanying a vocal song with other elements....sorry...those beautiful stereo mic'd tracks don't retain their power the moment a human voice enters the picture.
That's just nonsense. Of course the vocal is the focal point of any song but if you think people are ignoring the instrumentation, you're doing a disservice to every air guitar player on the planet.

Quote:
But as for pickups....the prevalent winner here is the lr baggs anthem.
One of my guitars has the Anthem in it. It's not a good choice for recording. Your standards for what sounds good on a recording are much too low.

YouTube
Old 04-19-2024, 10:15 AM

If you can find an ART equipped model, that would be ideal. The FGX730SCA (GC used has one) is one such model. These use a transducer pickup. The A/C 3 models have the SRT preamp. The first gen was better than the current models. Atmosfeel in the FG/S X 3/5 have those. While I like the Atmosfeel better than SRT, the short scale may be a factor to consider.

The preamps in the A series 3/5 IS WAY better than the FGX800/A/C1 models. SRT has mic modeling. The AC3M is a stellar instrument for recording and/or live playing plugged in.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Direct recording doesn't really cut it in my opinion.

The best direct recording sound I have heard is the Cordoba Stage (nylon), which I just bought too, but for tunes I want to share I have stayed with regular unplugged acoustics and two mics.

If you don't have a good room to record in, have little ones running around the house, etc. direct recording is the way to go though.

Here's a demo from YouTube of the Cordoba Stage.

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 04-19-2024, 12:29 PM

At my work (public high school) we teachers have a 30 minute period we get to share our talents with students. One marking period I had a session on recording. I showed the difference between pre and post.

I'm no pro, but I record and know my way around live sound very well. I don't know many DAWs, but...

Anyway, for my skill set I've found that the better sound you get in pre- the less time you need to spend in post-

I try to dial in what I want, record it live, and on the back end, the only thing I really need to do is a little normalizing bring the levels up for rendering the mp3 I'm trying to get.

Sorry for my elementary level response to this.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
So when someone is asking advice about recording guitar, we should assume they don't want to record guitar very well. Got it.

That's just nonsense. Of course the vocal is the focal point of any song but if you think people are ignoring the instrumentation, you're doing a disservice to every air guitar player on the planet.

One of my guitars has the Anthem in it. It's not a good choice for recording. Your standards for what sounds good on a recording are much too low.
Dang Jim. You went a little hard in the paint didn't you?

Billy
Old 04-19-2024, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Dang Jim. You went a little hard in the paint didn't you?

Billy
There's history and it's exasperating.

YouTube
Old 04-19-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
There's history and it's exasperating.
there's no history. that's your imagination. perhaps you've been in that isolation booth one too many hours.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 04-19-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:

wonder how much attention the sun records gave elvis's guitar? As for the Anthem, I just go by what I read. You're not a majority yet.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 04-19-2024, 02:51 PM

Imma back Jim on this. You want good acoustic tone, get a nice sounding guitar and use mics. If it's solo guitar, or just guitar & a vocal, recording the guitar in stereo is a good way to go. If you plan to add other instruments, mono guitar works fine and may even be preferrable. I don't know what "majority" is being referred to, but every musician and engineer I've ever met who wanted a good acoustic guitar recording would recommend using a microphone.

There are reasons to record an acoustic guitar with its pickup--maybe you want something quick and aren't as concerned about the tone, maybe you're recording late at night and don't want to disturb anyone--but having a good acoustic sound isn't one of them.

OP seemed interested in effects as well. The built-in effects in any electronics also won't be nearly as good as what you can add in post in your DAW.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Applause Guitar is the Answer!

Hey,

I think you need a used, vintage Applause Guitar played into (name the cheapest DAW you can find - perhaps the Magix ACID studio 11?) is the answer for the quality & price you are seeking.

Or try a megaphone. Or even two cereal cannisters & a cheap string & a melamine uke. To treat your recording space, just use the mattress you sleep on in the park. The possibilities are endless.

alohachris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
apple logic, daw, recording, transacoustic, yamaha