The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 AM

Default Washburn Rover - Hand luggage?

Hi,

I've been doing a bit of research on travel guitars and I've read a few good things about the Washburn Rover...

I do quite a bit of air travel for business and I thought this could be the perfect way to while away a few dull hours in hotels etc

...but I have a question... Does anyone know if airlines accept it as hand luggage??

Also any other thoughts/experience of yours with this little guitar would be appreciated!

Thanks

1981 Di Giorgio Nr. 28 (Classical)
1995 Crafter EB-40E (Acoustic Bass)
2010 Fender CD140SCE (Dreadnought)
2010 Tanglewood TW145/12-SC (12-string)
2010 Washburn Rover RO10 (Travel)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Yep

As long as it fits in the over head its considered hand luggage, mine has travelled to Vegas, LA and a few other places like Texas and so forth, I find it great for keeping the fingers up and never letting the callouses get to soft unless I am looking to reduce their size, not the greatest sounding maybe but the most consistant in sound and its not noisy for the neighbours, hotels boat cruises and such.Ship
Old 04-23-2010, 08:12 AM

I bought my Rover for the same purpose, although I haven't actually travelled with it yet. But It's so compact, I couldn't imagine airlines refuse to let you carry it to the cabin. People bring larger guitars inside the cabin all the time, e.g. CA Cargo, Little Martin, Baby Taylor, sometimes even OM-size guitars.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 AM

it's sized to fit into a overhead bin.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 AM

I have taken my Martin LX on planes many times. Has gone in overhead luggage everytime. I like it quite a lot better than the Rover for sound and playing. The backpack gigbag comfortable and convenient too.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 PM

I tried the RO20 (nylon string) at a local shop yesterday and I was pleasantly suprised, but they didn't have a steel string in stock so I couldn't compare... I was also impressed at how small the case is... it should definitely be OK on a plane.

In the meantime I bought a little Mahalo Uke for my daughter (2) so I'm having fun "teaching" her a few chords on that!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 AM

i have one but have never travelled with it. i never figured out a satisfactory way to hold it, even with a strap (which is not my preference). i should add the case is quite nice.

i will further add that i put some nashville tuned strings on it and play some vihuela (e.g. gaspar sanz) tunes on it. sounds very cool, but still hard to hold.

i also found the intonation a little off, but perhaps it's the strings (although it seemed off with regular light strings as well.) it is well made. i alway laugh, in a good way, about the solid wood top, because it's surface area is pretty small.

Last edited by mc1; 04-25-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:47 AM

I travel frequently with a Rover. I did a set-up on it, so it plays as good as my Taylor, and it is not too loud, so I have never had anyone complain from the next room! The case is fantastic and easily fits in the overhead bin. I use a strap while sitting and rest the lower bout in my lap. It is a little awkward at first, but I adjusted very quickly to holding it in that position. The sound is not bad for what it is...more uke than guitar tone because of the small top and body. However, that works well for me because I did not want something that would disturb other hotel guests. The build quality is actually very good for a cheap instrument. Mine has no gaps or misaligned parts, the satin finish cleans very easily, and it stays in tune coast to coast. I've had this little gem for three years and have had absolutely no issues with it.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
I travel frequently with a Rover. I did a set-up on it, so it plays as good as my Taylor, and it is not too loud, so I have never had anyone complain from the next room! The case is fantastic and easily fits in the overhead bin. I use a strap while sitting and rest the lower bout in my lap. It is a little awkward at first, but I adjusted very quickly to holding it in that position. The sound is not bad for what it is...more uke than guitar tone because of the small top and body. However, that works well for me because I did not want something that would disturb other hotel guests. The build quality is actually very good for a cheap instrument. Mine has no gaps or misaligned parts, the satin finish cleans very easily, and it stays in tune coast to coast. I've had this little gem for three years and have had absolutely no issues with it.
I'm thinking of buying one but haven't been able to actually play one. How's the set up from the factory? Does it have or need an adjustable neck? I see them online everywhere from ebay to amazon to musician's friend, etc but think I'd do better to see if my local shop can order one...he carries other Washburns, and I like to support him anyway and then have the ability to get it set up if needed.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the comments and advice about the "Rover" ...I found a steel string in a local shop at the weekend and tried it out, and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised! ...problem was that the shop was selling it for about twice the price I've seen it on the internet for (even considering delivery!) ...so yesterday I ordered online, and look forward to getting it next week!!

...I'll post a "review" when I have my hands on it...

Thanks again

Old 05-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Default it arrived!

So I finally have my hands on the Rover!

First impressions are positive... I just need to play it a bit now

Old 05-27-2010, 11:57 AM

"Fits in the overhead" is not the rule. Most airlines use 45 linear inches--adding all three dimensions. Many have a box that it has to fit in that is 22x14x9", so anythng longer than 22" isn't accepted. Frequently these rules are not enforced. Sometimes they are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion