The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 10:46 AM

Default 12 String Guitar Advice

Hi Folks,

I need a little shopping help. I've been slowly regaining hand control and can play 12 string again. I cannot play my Guild F-512 anymore. Sadly, I sold it. I am playing a used Taylor 254ce. The Taylor plays easily and has been a good companion instrument. However, now that I am feeling a little more bullish on my recovery, I would like to invest in the right sized and right playing solid wood 12 string again.

I am looking for something no larger than a dreadnought (a maximum of 16" lower bout), easy playing, great sounding, and for a price less than $3,000. Bargains are welcome.

My internet search and in-hand testing suggest the Martin HD12-28 is a good solution. But, it's a little expensive. And, it sounds like a D-28 with more strings. I was hoping for something a little different. I did try and find a used D12-35, in good condition, but they are pretty rare now. I am open to other brands. A Larrivee L-09-12? Something imported that sounds great and is less expensive?

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-18-2024 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:00 AM

My last 12 string before my hands would no longer allow me to play a 12 string was a Yamaha LL-16-12.
It had a Solid Rosewood back and sounded wonderful.

The new Eastman 12 strings is worth looking at.
Larrivee would also be a good choice.

The newer Guild 12 string guitars are made with a single truss rod, which allows them to finally make a thinner and much easier to play neck.
If you go used with a Guild, be sure that you know if it has a single or double truss rod. That will make a Huge difference in how it feels and plays.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:02 AM

Dave,

Though I've never played one, people on the Let's Talk Guild forum rave about the imported Guild D1212 as very easy to play. Others really like the all-mahogany sound. If I were going to add another to my stable of 3, I'd probably try one of these. Also, very inexpensive.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:10 AM

I have an Eastman and am very, very happy with it. The mode I have is no longer sold new. But seems the overall dimensions are the same or very similar to the AC330. Would recommend checking Eastman out in your quest for a new 12-string.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-18-2024, 11:11 AM

Thanks, in addition to the ones I mentioned, I will be looking at:

Yamaha LL-16-12. I had one years ago and actually loved it. This was a good reminder that "upgrading" isn't always. Low price too. Relatively easy neck.

Also on my list...
Guid 1212
Eastman E1D-12
Furch D-CR 12

The used Martin HD12-28 available locally is max discounted $150 (~5%) from a new one. Hardly worth loss of warranty to me. Especially on a 12er.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Hi Folks,

I need a little shopping help. I've been slowly regaining hand control and can play 12 string again. I cannot play my Guild F-512 anymore. Sadly, I sold it. I am playing a used Taylor 254ce. The Taylor plays easily and has been a good companion instrument. However, now that I am feeling a little more bullish on my recovery, I would like to invest in the right sized and right playing solid wood 12 string again.

I am looking for something no larger than a dreadnought (16" lower bout), easy playing, great sounding, and for a price less than $3,000. Bargains are welcome.

My internet search and in-hand testing suggest the Martin HD12-28 is a good solution. But, it's a little expensive. And, it sounds like a D-28 with more strings. I was hoping for something a little different. I did try and find a used D12-35, in good condition, but they are pretty rare now. I am open to other brands. A Larrivee L-09-12? Something imported that sounds great and is less expensive?
Hi, dreads are not 16" but 15 &5/8" whih sounds minimal but des make a difference for many.

If you could handle a D12-35, might I suggest that you also seek out D12-20. Not do pretty but the same geometry and with "hog" back and sides.
as with all used 12 strings and 3spe4cially Martins make sure that it has either had a neck resent or can boast a good action (usu. higher than a 6 string but who wants to play up high on a 12 ?
Old 04-18-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaveez View Post
I have an Eastman and am very, very happy with it. The mode I have is no longer sold new. But seems the overall dimensions are the same or very similar to the AC330. Would recommend checking Eastman out in your quest for a new 12-string.
The Eastman AC330 is a jumbo, so bigger than OP wants, but they do have a 1D-12 dread (seems OP found that one).
Old 04-18-2024, 11:33 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I really enjoy my vintage Yairi DY76, but it has laminate back & sides, so I don't think that it qualifies
Old 04-18-2024, 12:41 PM

12 String Guitar Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Hi Folks,

I am looking for something no larger than a dreadnought (a maximum of 16" lower bout), easy playing, great sounding, and for a price less than $3,000. Bargains are welcome.

martingitdave,

Not going to specifically answer your question, but call your attention to another alternative which I think you should check out.

An all-solid-wood spruce over rosewood Guild R-1512 17" wide Jumbo. If it feels too big for you then ignore this, but do try one out. Cost is about 1K without a pickup. A little bit more for installed electronics. Well-made in China and comes with a premium well padded gig bag. Huge bang for the buck.

Here's the thing. If you play seated a lot, the waist will allow the guitar to sit very low on whichever leg you prefer to rest it. This allows an easy access to all frets and strings. The lower bout is 17", but if you subtract about 2" for the effect of the waist on one side, you are playing with the same fretboard access as a less than 15" wide lower bout guitar.

I enjoy playing Jumboes for their balanced sound, but they are easy for me to play too. In addition, I tune my 12 string guitars down a semi-tone to 'D#', which lessens the tension a bit for my old hands while actually improving the sound.

For comparison purposes, I am 5'8+" tall and shrinking, mostly because I'm in my mid-seventies, and have been playing 12 strings and Jumboes for about 60 years. About average proportioned build with one exception which is slightly wider shoulders about (size 43) and chest, and all my off the rack shirts are too long for my average arm and hand size or too constricting if I go a size lower.

But I have been playing large Jumbo guitars for years without any shoulder issues, so I would check one of these Guilds out. Just for try-on size, the guitar is built the same as the other 17" wide lower bout Guilds, including an F-2512 which has a laminated arch-back for half the price.

They are easier to play than Dreadnoughts, especially seated. And sound much better.

And that Grand Auditorium Taylor 254 you have has about a 16" wide lower bout and is shaped similarly to a Jumbo but in a smaller size. It may have laminated back and sides too. Most (but not all) Taylor 2xy series have laminated B&S and are made in Mexico. If you are playing seated, you may be already reaping the benefit of a narrower waist.

I fingerpick all my guitars using my nails as picks.

Be well, play well, good luck, and good hunting,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-18-2024 at 12:56 PM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 04-18-2024, 12:44 PM

why can you no longer play the Guild you sold?

Taylors are probably the easiest 12 strings on the hands that I've come across

My Guild 2512 is a monstrous 12 string, with a neck to match.

Maybe think about upping the Taylor game and go to a 500 series or something?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 04-18-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:47 PM

What is the "different" 12 string sound you are hoping for?

That could help us offer some more on target suggestions.

Offhand, I would suggest the Larrivee L-09 12, as you were thinking, or a Yamaha LL-16 12 string.

Another cool one if you can fine one...kinda rare...would be a Gibson Songwriter 12 string.

Also...how about used, a Guild JF-30 12 string from either the Westerly or Corona, or Tacoma factories, which is a small jumbo body 12 string with the same great Guild 12 string sound...or...if you can find one at your price point...possibly with some searching...a vintage Guild F-312 12 string from the late 60's/early/mid 70's...or even a vintage Guild F-212 12 string from those same years as the F-312.

One more dark horse, but a GREAT 12 string would be a vintage...early to mid 70's era Takamine F-400S 12 string. Solid top, laminated rosewood back and sides...BUT...I have owned 3 of those and they were all fantastic 12 strings that easily held their own in tone and playability with any other 12 string I have owned except for the Guild F-512 I now own. The Takamine F-400S is a truly fine and very well made guitar, and I would not shy away from at least looking at one, if I were you.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 04-18-2024, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I would recommend you also consider Breedlove Concerto 12 strings.

https://breedlovemusic.com/instrumen...lity/string-12
Old 04-18-2024, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I’ve got a Larrivee L-03 12 string that is really nice. Around 1200 used.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:46 PM

Default Yamaha FG-820

Do yourself a huge favor. Find a Yamaha FG820. It sounds fantastic and, after a set up, easy to play. Cheap, too. Under $400.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I have owned some very nice 12 strings and honestly, I think my Guild D1212 will hang with any of them. It's a mahogany 12 string dread and sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion