The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Default Setting up a guitar for 1/2 step down.

Hello, was curious if there are any specific things that need to be addressed to have a guitar setup for 1/2 step down.

I just had a nut cut to match my saddle and I find that the high e is slipping off the fret a bit where it doesn't fret right.

Anything else to watch for?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:31 PM

You should not have ANY problems going down 1/2 step. If you do a slight "tweak" of the neck relief should solve it.

I have never experienced problems with 1/2 step on any guitar I have owned.

You might need to have that nut checked. Where on the neck does it slip off the neck?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Default Hey

It doesn't slip off per say but it is close to the edge of the neck so when fretted it has a tendency of bending a bit toward the more rounded side of the frett...

Basically the cut of the nut is wrong...but to be honest when I was at GC today I looked at a handful of Taylor's and the nuts where crazy...they were all different, some close to the edge on the high and low e others pushed in..
Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor614ce View Post
It doesn't slip off per say but it is close to the edge of the neck so when fretted it has a tendency of bending a bit toward the more rounded side of the frett...

Basically the cut of the nut is wrong...but to be honest when I was at GC today I looked at a handful of Taylor's and the nuts where crazy...they were all different, some close to the edge on the high and low e others pushed in..
My first suspicion would be technique. Are you inadvertently pulling the string off the neck. If you are you would probable notice the note going sharp. If it is not technique I would suspect a wrongly cut nut.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor614ce View Post

My first suspicion would be technique. Are you inadvertently pulling the string off the neck? If so you would most likely note the note going sharp.

Otherwise I would suspect a poorly cut nut.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 PM

I keep most of my guitars tuned down a semitone (except for the ones in alternate tunings) as I find singing a bit easier. I have not made any adjustments. The only issue I have is needing to pay attention to technique, especially with my 12-strings that I have strung with extra light gauge strings (8-45) as it's easy to pull the thinnest strings sharp ... and the strings are quite a bit looser than even 6-string lights (let alone mediums).
Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddiesorg View Post
I keep most of my guitars tuned down a semitone (except for the ones in alternate tunings) as I find singing a bit easier. I have not made any adjustments. The only issue I have is needing to pay attention to technique, especially with my 12-strings that I have strung with extra light gauge strings (8-45) as it's easy to pull the thinnest strings sharp ... and the strings are quite a bit looser than even 6-string lights (let alone mediums).
This is so easy to do................Watch your technique and if that doesn't cure the problem then I bet something is wrong with the communication between your nut and your saddle.

Keep me informed. Either way it is NOT a hard problem to solve.

Godd luck...........
Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 AM

Russ, I don't have a problem ... I just said I have to pay more attention to technique on some guitars, especially my lightly strung 12-strings. I have an 0.008 tuned to D# and a 0.012 tuned to A# which are very easy to pull sharp ... also need to adjust right-hand technique to keep the pair of strings under control. If I've been playing the 12-strings regularly, I don't have to adjust ... but if I've been mostly playing medium gauge 6-strings, it sometimes takes a few minutes to get in sync with the guitar.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 AM

Id probably just leave set-up stuff alone ( give it a few months before you have any tweaking done ) if your pulling your string out of its slot it was probably cut wrong in the first place- i wouldnt change your playing style ( thats you and how you play which is fine ) Id probably find a competent tech or luthier and have a new nut cut. I tune mine down almost a whole step and capo ( shortens my scale ) i did tweak my guitar but i gave it a bit to settle first !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion