The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 09:26 AM

Default I wonder about the future of this project.

Gruhn's hasn't shown any Versitars for sale in several weeks.

I'm disappointed in how many folks here have ridiculed these instruments. Guitarists need more choices, not fewer. No, it's not a reiteration of classic guitar shapes, but who really needs that? Yes, the logo on the headstock is silly, but that's been GG's logo since the beginning. Why does that matter?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Tacoma JM9 jumbo
-Tacoma JK50C jumbo
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 04-29-2024 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Gruhn's hasn't show any Versitars for sale in several weeks.

I'm disappointed in how many folks here have ridiculed these instruments. Guitarists need more choices, not fewer. No, it's not a reiteration of classic guitar shapes, but who really needs that? Yes, the logo on the headstock is silly, but that's been GG's logo since the beginning. Why does that matter?
I noticed they haven't had any in awhile. I wondered if it was just the cycle and there will be a big batch again soon, or I wondered if they were potentially re-tooling (metaphorically, but possibly literally) as the first batch had some less than stellar finished products. Maybe they got some needed feedback and are trying better to address the issues.

Not everything is everyone's cup of tea. A lot of people don't like IRIS' headstock logo either, but they've grown massively since their inception because quality wins out. They now offer a logo with just the icon to appease the whiners, but they are ultimately successful at this point by making a really great guitar that people like. Gruhn could do the same, but having had the first IRIS and I think the first Versitar (other than celebs) I will say the Gruhn's have much further to come on the quality front.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I noticed they haven't had any in awhile. .....
Yours was supposed to be delivered in October last year. I haven't seen a NGD, review or photos posted. How was your delivery and subsequent 7 months of ownership?
Old 05-12-2024, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
Yours was supposed to be delivered in October last year. I haven't seen a NGD, review or photos posted. How was your delivery and subsequent 7 months of ownership?
Yea, what's up?

I'm still curious about these and plan a trip to Nashville eventually this year.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-12-2024, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
I think somewhere in this thread I mentioned it arrived, didn’t I? I may have deleted that initial review and post while trying to let Gruhns make it right after sending me a really disappointing guitar. I was trying not to bash them and to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Long story short, it was sent back immediately, they fumbled a bunch throughout the process, then thereafter and that benefit of the doubt went away quickly. i wasn’t sure I could trust they’d make it right and just got my refund and moved on.

I hope they get it right and maybe they have. They got it all wrong with me and I’m disappointed cuz I had really high hopes.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:18 AM

Something that was hard to understand for me is how these guitars were presented to the public. Rather than doing a quality recording, they seem to have used phone recordings of the demos of hotshot players. I'm sure they sound much better in real life than these (cheap) demos showcase? Cool enough guitars, but hard to understand since Gruhn is such a major player.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:05 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

They sound like a resonator to me. *shrug*

I don't find them appealing at all.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Smile Dang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I think somewhere in this thread I mentioned it arrived, didn’t I? I may have deleted that initial review and post while trying to let Gruhns make it right after sending me a really disappointing guitar. I was trying not to bash them and to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Long story short, it was sent back immediately, they fumbled a bunch throughout the process, then thereafter and that benefit of the doubt went away quickly. i wasn’t sure I could trust they’d make it right and just got my refund and moved on.

I hope they get it right and maybe they have. They got it all wrong with me and I’m disappointed cuz I had really high hopes.
Dang! Sigh….

We often hope for the magic axe that costs less and sounds MORE. Rare event.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-12-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Gruhn's hasn't shown any Versitars for sale in several weeks.

Assuming part of this refers to my comments… what can I say? I just didn’t like the logo, Birdbrain shrug::

Aethetics matter to me! And that logo doesn’t turn my crank. As a Tacomaphile I obviously don’t mind the shape. And I hope still hope Gruhn succeeds!

Personally, I don’t see a lot of ridicule in this thread. Just a lot of curiosity, some excitement, some healthy skepticism.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Dang! Sigh….

We often hope for the magic axe that costs less and sounds MORE. Rare event.

Paul
I usually just hope for one that’s been built with some basic quality control….that wasn’t the case at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion