The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 11:40 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Default Guitar shows? And maybe thinning the herd a bit

There is a local guitar show this Sunday with a lot of buy/sell/trade potential... people and vendors. I'm thinking about taking 2 of my vintage Yairis that don't get much playing time and seeing if anyone is interested in them. I think it would be interesting to see what kind of response I get from a random group of musicians and vendors...

Worse case, I don't make a deal. It kind of sounds like fun, though. Any of you been to something like this? A guitar show where vendors come in along with lots of local folks to just shop & swap guitars and related equipment? Did you enjoy it?
Old 05-14-2024, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

I really enjoy guitar shows. Sometimes pricing can be on the borderline of insane, but not always, and you can find plenty of people willing to trade. Some of the best deals are found with non vendor people walking around.

I haven’t been to a show in a couple of years. That was the Amigo show in Nashville. Lots of collectors with super high end vintage stuff. It felt like they were there more to show their stuff to everyone and to socialize, but again, there were some deals here and there.

The best deals I’ve ever found at shows were in used accessories.

It’s worth a try. Someone will be interested in those Yairis. You never know what you may come across. You will have a good time, either way.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:34 PM

I love guitar shows and try to attend all the ones in my area. It’s always a good time to walk around with a beer and look at cool guitars. I bought a BBTaylor and flipped it at one of my local shows. I just put a sign on the case and carried it around till someone stopped me. Only took about 45 mins and I was rid of the guitar and a few bucks richer!
Old 05-14-2024, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

The last time I went to a guitar show here we ran into Billy Gibbons at a dealer that had a couple of Jimmy Wallace flame top Les Pauls and an original tape Echoplex unit that they were playing through. I went with a buddy who was a dealer. He traded a bunch, but not much cash changed hands that I remember.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-14-2024, 05:48 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I think you guys have convinced me I should go. I don't think that it's going to be a 'big' show. I'm expecting a much more low-key affair than something you'd see in a bigger music hub... but I think it will be something cool to check out. Maybe I'll unload a couple of guitars... I rarely do that!

I'll grab some photos if it looks interesting and report back... thanks for the replies!
Old 05-14-2024, 10:03 PM

I forgot to mention that I think it’s important to support your local guitar show. If people stop going, the shows end.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:56 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

So, circling back around on this... the guitar show was today and I went early. Turns out, the guy that organized it is a guy I knew 30 years ago. It was fun to chat with him.

There were only 8 or 10 vendors buying and selling... some interesting guitars were there, as were some interesting people! I did not make a deal, but I did enjoy the event.

They also did a take-off on Antiques Roadshow, where they had a video production area setup and they would appraise instruments for people. They are calling it 'Every guitar has a story' and they hope to find some distribution opportunities... or even just a YouTube channel. If they can generate enough interest, they plan to take it 'on the road' and do the same thing at other guitar shows around the country. Might be pretty cool... I'm excited to see what they come up with after the edits and post-production work is done.

I saw some cool guitars. Some of the most interesting were from the Steve Scorfina collection. Steve was an original member of REO Speedwagon, and is a real chill dude. He can play, man. He can play. He also loves guitars and collects them from around the country as part of his antiquing business. Funny how life goes sometimes...

Anyway, the goal is for this event to grow each year. I guess we'll see next year!
Old 05-19-2024, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a good time. I need to go to the next show in Dallas, but its a year from now.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-20-2024, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Sounds like a good time. I need to go to the next show in Dallas, but its a year from now.
Check out the Amigo Show (Guitarlington) in October. One of the best shows in the world.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Check out the Amigo Show (Guitarlington) in October. One of the best shows in the world.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I forgot about it. That is a 3 hour drive for me, so an easy drive up and back. I plan on going.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-20-2024, 07:06 AM

We used to have an annual show here. I bought and sold a few items there and got some parts. But it wasn't a place to get good deals. The vendors told me that most people were just spectators wanting to see old and high end stuff, and few buyers.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:24 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
We used to have an annual show here. I bought and sold a few items there and got some parts. But it wasn't a place to get good deals. The vendors told me that most people were just spectators wanting to see old and high end stuff, and few buyers.
Yeah, I think the dealers are more looking to add inventory at bargain prices than sell their inventory... or do some favorable trading where they come out ahead. There were a lot of people who brought in guitars for appraisal, theoretically hoping for a buyer. If I were a dealer, I'd bring a wad of cash and expect to leave with more guitars than I came with...
Old 05-20-2024, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

From talking to the Fullers guys here about shows, it seems that most of the deals are done before the doors even open up. The dealers are trading amongst themselves.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-21-2024, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

So tell us about your Yairis.

Whatcha got?
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 05-21-2024, 11:25 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
So tell us about your Yairis.

Whatcha got?
I have 4 total:
'94 WY1, cedar top w/EIR back & sides
'85 DY51, cedar top w/figured mahogany back & sides
'76 DY57, spruce top w/mahogany back & sides
'74 DY76 (12 string), spruce top w/EIR back & sides
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WY1.jpg (39.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DY51.jpg (51.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DY57.jpg (41.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DY76.jpg (51.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by TheGITM; 05-21-2024 at 11:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion