The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 AM

Default How Does Taylor Pick "Authorized Service"?

After a friend called Taylor Customer Service yesterday to find the local Authorized Service, he called me in shock. Taylor CS recommended a local (so called) Luthier to service his Taylor. The problem is this guy has a terrible reputation among musicians in this area. This is the same guy that Fender told me to go to for warranty work on my Gretsch 6120 Nashville. The Bigsby was set off center and need to be moved to correct the side string pull. The guy they sent me to wanted to take the spring out of the spring cup on the Bigsby and run a screw through it into the top of the guitar. That's right, a "Floating" Bigsby. I took my Gretsch and ran away as fast as I could. I called Fender Customer Service/Tech back and told him what this guy wanted to do and he went nuts. I ended up taking the Gretsch to a Luthier I use all the time and he moved the Bigsby over to center (about a fat 1/16") and the problem was solved. After this incident, I talked to fellow musicians and found out many more horror stories about this guy.

My friend asked Taylor if they had any complaints on the guy and was told he didn't have access to that info. Makes me wonder how they choose "Authorized Service Centers"
Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

I am not able to answer your question but will add that many of my local GCs have authorized Taylor luthiers who are not listed on Taylor's web site. When I called Taylor and asked, I specifically had to ask about GC luthiers then was told my local stores have authorized techs. The info wasn't readily available until I asked.

There is a luthier school in NJ. The school is an authorized repair center, and apparently the workers get farmed out to the local GCs under the name of the school. I don't know why they just don't list the GCs as authorized repair centers though. If this happens here, it might happen elsewhere...
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I have a local luthier at sam ash who is very good and has a great reputation. The problem is that unless you specifically ask him to do the work, his apprentice (punk kid) will most likely screw up everything you asked, and scratch your guitar. I wanted to go off on this kid last time I was there. He was cocky and arrogant and a dick bc he didnt do what I wanted. I guess the moral is a good luthier is like a good mechanic, hard to come by. If you find one make sure to tip him and make friends
Old 08-04-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
I have a local luthier at sam ash who is very good and has a great reputation. The problem is that unless you specifically ask him to do the work, his apprentice (punk kid) will most likely screw up everything you asked, and scratch your guitar. I wanted to go off on this kid last time I was there. He was cocky and arrogant and a dick bc he didnt do what I wanted. I guess the moral is a good luthier is like a good mechanic, hard to come by. If you find one make sure to tip him and make friends
I agree, if you find a good Luthier, make sure you treat him/her right. In the case of my Gretsch, it was warranty work and my luthier wasn't an authorized Fender/Gretsch Service. This was his decision. Apparently Fender had stiffed him years ago on a warranty repair and he dropped them. From now on I'll use Rob for all my work regardless if I have to pay for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion