The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Hello

Hi there,

Just thought I'd say hello and comment on the great resource and comminity that is this forum.

I stumbled here by chance really... My beloved Takamine finally closed her eyes 2 weekends ago due to my wife and her friend falling on it during a party...ahemm, she recalls nothing..

So, anyhoo, I started looking into a replacement and its led me on a wonderful journey of discovery into the higher end world of accoustic guitars...and I'm loving it.

After much browsing and researching I have set my heart on a Taylor and nothng else, my heart tells me so, and its is my heart that I listen to.

So this is my mission to find a guitar that will stay with me for life... I have already decided that being as this is one of the things that will stay with me forever, I can pretty much go for any of the Taylor range that I desire..within reason...or more bluntly, within my wifes reason.

My initial impressions thus far, is that I love the sexyness of the 612ce in Black, it oozes class and its uniqueness appeals to me.. but then the 914ce caught my eye... and WOW.. its stunning, those abalone touches....must stop drooling.. I feel that I will end with one of these in my life!

If you all could be so kind, there are a few questions that I would like to ask that I need a little more clarity on..

1. Buying new or second hand? .. is the allure of cheap prices on Ebay etc worth it? Is it that important to play it and hold it first?...is it worth risking importing from the states?.. I live in Oxford UK.

2. How long for you guys did it take for you to find "The one"? And what was the best method for finder her?

3. Is each guitar unique? will one 914 be the same as another?

I'm going to as local Taylor dealor tomorrow to try our a few models, one might just hit me between the eyes.. I'll let you know..

Sorry for the questions!

Heres a bit of background, I have been playing and singing for the last ten years I feel that I can play a bit...untill I see the likes Tommy Emmanuel etc to bring me back down to earth..., I love to play blues, rhythm, and lead mixed into one.. but I also want to go down the fingerpicking route too..

Am I allowed to give my myspace here?

Anyway, thank you for your time.

I look forward to being an active part of this great forum

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Matt: Sorry about your Tak. I've had several that I really liked so I can understand your angst. I'll tackle question #3. Taylors are known for being pretty consistent in terms of their set-up and the tone of any given model; but that's not to say that all will either sound, play, or feel the same. There's no substitute for trying out a guitar before purchasing, but I believe you'll find some great deals among used instruments right now should you decide to purchase long-distance. Good luck in your search.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetie View Post
1. Buying new or second hand? .. is the allure of cheap prices on Ebay etc worth it? Is it that important to play it and hold it first?...is it worth risking importing from the states?.. I live in Oxford UK.
The choice of buying a virgin guitar or a used one is a personal one. Certainly buying a used one enables one to buy a better guitar while remaining within one's budget and minimizes the depreciation loss if one were ever to sell or trade up. To me, it is important to play the guitar before I buy it. Nevertheless, I once bought a limited edition guitar from a woman who had unsuccessfully tried to sell it on eBay and was was pleasantly surprised to find that its tone turned out to be on par with the best in my stable. Buying a guitar without playing it is a gamble that some times pays off. To me the risk of buying a guitar on the internet or ordering one is not so much one of being swindled but, rather, that the tone might be substandard.

Quote:
2. How long for you guys did it take for you to find "The one"? And what was the best method for finder her?
It took me about a year of occasional, passive searching as I already had more than one. If I had no guitar and was actively seeking one, I'm confident I could find a good one with in a matter of days or weeks.

Quote:
3. Is each guitar unique? will one 914 be the same as another?
While Taylor's have a deserved reputation for consistency (which makes buying one on the internet less of a gamble), there is some variation and occasionally one comes across an exceptional one.

Quote:
Sorry for the questions!
You have nothing for which to apologize.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks very much for your swift replies,

Your advice will hold me in good stead!

I guess it gives me a little more confidence about buying online.. I had my eye on a stunning 612ce that just finished in auction.. there is stunning wood on the back and sides, can anyone tell me what it is please?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330313071478

It seems a steal for that price.. when for new it would cost nearly three times that! So, I suppose I have to make a balanced decision on whether buying new is actually worth the extra cost!?..

I'm sure after playing some Taylors tomorrow I will know what series and size works best for me and then use that info to take to my next desicion process.

I will let you know how it goes..

Matt
Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Cocobologist

Taylor 600 series have Big Leaf Maple for the back and sides, and Sitka Spruce for the top. Neck is Maple, Fretboard and headstock veneer is Ebony.

Have fun shopping tomorrow. I think the search is as much fun as bringing the new guitar home!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
...I had my eye on a stunning 612ce that just finished in auction.. there is stunning wood on the back and sides, can anyone tell me what it is please? ...
As Gutch pointed out, the back and sides are big leaf maple (Acer macrophyllum) from western North America. Maple has different figuring patterns such as fiddle-back and the less common quilted. The guitar for which you provided a link appears to have a bit of a quilted pattern.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Just about recovered from the weekend and Im feeling confident that I can string a few words together.

I managed to get the the local Taylor dealor on Saturday and played some Taylors for the first time... and to be honest, I was not blown away with what they had to offer! I was disapointed that they only had 1 - 4 series.. I played a 314ce and a 414ce..

I think I would have felt more love for the guitars if the action and set up to what would have been more to my taste. Im not one for strumming endless chords and prefer to use my fingers...Yep, the sound was great when a chord was played but it didnt grab me by the balls and scream "buy me *****"...

They phoned the other stores to see if they could get a 612ce or a 9 series guitar there for me to play, but they only had a blue 612 that would take weeks to get there...not the best.

The sales guy was pretty cool and offered some good info, he was a huge taylor fan and was informative.. he had just come back from a London store and played them all and he said that if he had a choice he would have the 8 series over the 9....food for thought, seeing as I think I got my heart on a 9 series, for me, I got to fancy the guitar also, I want to look at it and go phwoorrr, If you know what I mean.

He also handed me a Martin to play, he said it was the closest to the top end taylors... and what a world of difference it was, very sweet sound... he had also set up the action on it, much better for me..low and fast!.. I cant remember what model it was though.. Im just glad I played it because it gave me confidence on the difference of quality and price from the lower series Taylors that I played.

I think I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to buy new, so I have been scouring the used guitars out there, and there are some great deals to be had. My heart fluttered when I saw this one on ebay.. #170310698152
I would be grateful to know your thoughts on it please?

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by Whitetie; 03-16-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
After much browsing and researching I have set my heart on a Taylor and nothng else, my heart tells me so, and its is my heart that I listen to.
You seem to be right on track and starting to play a bunch of guitars, that is exactly what I suggest. Do not follow your heart, follow your ears

As for question about whether one 9 series sounds like the next, the answer is NO. I've played many 9 series, most were pretty awesome, but some were seemingly duds, or at least didn't move me. Same thing with teh 8 series and I presume all series. Taylor is very consistent but nonetheless, all guitars have the potential to sound different from the next.

In my quest so far (and this is different from what some others on here have found), I haven't found a 914ce that I liked better than the 814ce I have. Maybe it's just cause I own the 814ce, but I try to be scientific in my listening. Or maybe i just haven't found the 914ce that really really moves me.

Experiment with all the different woods and body sizes and try and play them a few times, separated by some days/weeks. OFten you play a guitar and are immediately in love. a week later it's not the same. Or a week later you find something that moves you more Dont focus on price or just the upper line, focus on sound and feel. Soon enougn you'll hit the jackpot for what works for you.

Cheers
Joe Pass Emperor II
Peavey Classic 50 Amp
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Another warm AGF welcome, Whietie!

I have a 2000 914c, that is essentially the same guitar. I love it! It handles my attempts at fingerstyle nicely, yet doesn't balk when I want to strum. I don't hit it hard, just rhythmically, and it sounds fine to me. It's probably not the best for heavy strummers.

It's a beautiful instrument. I think it's the epitome of Taylor's classic elegance, without being too gawdy. I noticed that the seller said that it will appreciate because it's a discontinued model. That's not entirely true. Taylor still makes a 914, just a bit different. It may appreciate, but personally I wouldn't count on it. But then I buy guitars to play, not as investments.

Since one of our forum rules is no guitar price discussion, I can't comment on the asking price of that one. All I can really tell you is that I like mine, and have since it was new.

Don't feel bad, though, if you discover in your search that what you prefer is some other guitar. I got my 914 after starting out looking for a Martin HD-28. Two very different guitars, I know, but the Taylor suited me better. Still would like to have that HD, though!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your search.

cotten
Old 03-16-2009, 05:02 PM

I would try out a 714ce as well. They're cheaper than both and to me, the tone is much sweeter. Though i do love the 814ce as well.
2001 Fender 50th Anniversary Precision Bass

(Past guitars)
200? Tacoma ER28c
2009 Taylor 714ce Spring Limited
Taylor 714ce-L1
R. Taylor Walnut/Sitka
Goodall RCJ
Taylor GS Macassar/Adirondack
Taylor 414ce-LTD
Taylor Custom GS Grafted Walnut/Sitka
Taylor 414-E-LTD
Taylor 410ce
Taylor 214
Tacoma DR55/DR28/ER28C
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 PM

I've played probably about ten 914ce's, and all but 1 or 2 of them were pretty darn nice. I second what someone else said - look for a 714ce.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 PM

Default Wow.

612? 914?? The only difference is the sound you hear unplugged, IMO. Taylor, like others have stated, makes consistent guitars...no matter if it's their high end or not. No need to "rush" out and buy the first Taylor you see (new or used)...take your time, and let your ears decide.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-31-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi Guys,

Thought I would keep you up to date on the search..

I'm going to check out a Taylor Cocobolo GS Fall Limited on Friday, she is bloody lovely.. its one that is in here in the classifieds.

My heart skips a little beat when I think she could be mine for ever and ever!

I would really appreciate your tips or advice on what I should look out for when I go to check it out.

Thanking you in advance

Matt
Old 04-04-2009, 02:12 AM

Hi Guys,

Just thought I should inform you that my quest is now over!

I am now the proud drooling owner of a Taylor Cocobolo Fall Ltd.

Wow, what a guitar! I'm in love.. I now understand what people are on about when they say a guitar is "piano" like.

Will post photos soon!

Matt
Old 04-04-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
He also handed me a Martin to play, he said it was the closest to the top end taylors... and what a world of difference it was, very sweet sound...
Just when I was going to say it sounds like you really prefer the Martin tone, you go and buy Kabeer's Cocobolo Fall Limited which I was sceptical that he would ever manage to sell! Congratulations on your purchase and congratulations to Kabeer too...

Richard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion