The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-28-2024, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Yes, I had the tests before surgery. I am told that nerves repair themselves, but very slowly.

There are lots of thoughts on how fast they grow. A rough idea is 2-3 cm per month. They will go slower if there is any scar tissue and if the scar tissue is bad enough, or the nerve is fully cut, it may not grow back. Age and other co-morbidities (like diabetes) will also negatively affect growth.

Additionally, if the axon is damaged enough at the wrist, growth comes from the cell body, not the site of damage. The cell lives in or near your spinal cord, depending on what it does, so it needs to grow all the way back down your arm.

So maintain hope and patience. Best of luck!
Old 05-05-2024, 07:17 AM

Looks like surgery may be the next step for me, since bracing, meds & therapy haven't brought lasting relief.

But before I go the surgery route, I thought I would give acupuncture a try. Next week I will see a doctor who successfully treated some stubborn knee pains I had with acupuncture many years ago.

I asked if she thought acupuncture might help against CTS, and she said 'It's impossible to say.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic