The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Smile Makes sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I think it is coming, just not here yet. There are so many used guitars still at rediculous prices (I can buy new for cheaper). The same listings for months. Nobody's buying, of course, because why buy used when you can buy new for about the same price?

Here's what I think:

1. Manufacturers placed large orders on guitars for pandemic market.
2. Pandemic ends, large amounts of guitars are still flowing in.
3. Manufacturers turns off that guitar pipeline; takes time to shut.
4. In the mean time, lots of guitars still flows in that needs to be sold.
5. This mean heavily discounted new guitars.
6. Used guitars are not price compeitive with new.
7. Next year, new guitar pipeline closed and inventory normalize.
8. Next year, new guitar prices will be not so much discounted.
9. Next year, there'll be this year's used guitars (not sold because tii expensive relative to new guitars) + next year's used guitars.
10. Next year, too many used guitars, so the used prices will be discounted.

So, this is the year to buy cheap new guitars and sell used guitars.
Next year is the year to buy cheap used guitars.
Well put Jack. But I don’t want any cheap guitars. I have expensive ones already…. Hahaha

If you don’t plan to play it, don’t go there

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-27-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
.If you don’t plan to play it, don’t go there...
Best advice of the day.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Reverb's asking prices are a poor gauge of what gear is selling for. But Reverb also shows the range of selling prices for lots of items, and that's a pretty good gauge.
I fully agree with you. Sellers look too often at ASKING or LIST prices and NOT the prices they actually sold for.

Many sellers are trying to take advantage of the tremendous inflationary prices on NEW guitars to think they can get what they originally paid, or even more.

Others think a $200 discount off of a new $2799 MSRP Martin is a good deal on the used market, mistakenly.

Many Private sellers do not understand that there is more risk to buying from someone you do not know, perhaps across the country, than buying from an established dealer who offers a return policy, inspection period, takes credit cards, trades, etc.

It does not matter what the asking price is if it never sells. The market is the SOLD price. Denial is still at play, from what I can see, looking daily across many platforms where guitars are not moving. The most price-egregious sellers are the ones often including in their ads, "NO LOW BALLERS!".

I have had great success selling guitars privately, but I do it locally and I price my guitars correctly and I take good care of them.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker1 View Post
There is a video on YouTube called Used Guitar Apocalypse . A shop called Gary’s Guitars is explaining that used guitars are not bringing much. Amplifiers , everyone is going to smaller and smaller amplifiers . He talks about don’t believe the advertised prices on Reverb or ebay. He says they aren’t selling . He is avoiding consignments unless he can make money. He said the market is flooded with used equipment . He also says people don’t have CASH anymore and this hurts the used market the social media like Craiglist , Facebook or the individual seller
The Guitar Apocalypse video came up in my YouTube feed, and I didn't click on it for a while. Initially I was frustrated with the algorithm - get this click-bait out of here. Then after seeing this thread, I gave the video a chance. It turns out that Mark at Gary's Guitars is a cool dude, and knowledgeable. I have been going through the videos on the channel, and there is good content there.

Regarding the apocalypse, I have found that the big name stuff sells (e.g. Gibson, Fender), particularly vintage items. Though the asking price still needs to be competitive. Lesser known stuff is harder to move. I was selling a stage piano last year, the lowest price on Reverb, and I got some interest, but not much. I didn't want to ship it, so I was looking for a local sale. After a while with no bites, I took it in to my local Guitar Center to see what they would offer. I took their offer. Yeah, it wasn't as much as I would have made in a private sale, but that was a tough item to sell (logistically), so having a cash offer and not dealing with buyers made it worth it.

Yes, small amplifiers are more popular than ever. I went down that road of buying Champs, Princetons, Deluxes, etc., and I learned that they are not for me. My sweet spot for amplifiers is 30 watts and up. I like having a clean, snappy base tone, with lots of authority. My main amps are vintage Vibrolux Reverbs at 35 watts and a Carr Impala at 44 watts. I had a Super Reverb and Twin Reverb at one point, and I sold them both due to the weight. But I want them back! I'm glad that the larger amps are less popular.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion