The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I got tired of the effects, distortion, noise, drums, drummers and clutter.

Pure acoustic music is much more enjoyable for me.
From my own similar experiences, I would add:
Drunks, other people's cigarettes, egos, yokos, etc., etc.

Several years ago (when 60 was still looming ahead of me), I wrestled stubbornly with denial as progressive hearing loss and tinnitus started kicking in - viciously. I was unable to imagine not being the eye of the storm (lead guitarist) in a loud bar band. Four decades deep in bands at the time, I had convinced myself that quitting hard rock electric guitar would leave an empty smoking hole in the center of my life. But as it turns out, I don't miss any of those things that Murphy and I listed above.

Fast-forward ten years and everything has worked out nicely. I still play rock, blues and ballads. But I do it on acoustic guitars with an agreeable duo partner who shares a similar taste in music. The search for this specific unicorn was an arduous journey in itself, but worth it. We get to peg the adrenaline meter at 4-5 open mics a month with our latest covers - three at a time.

I still have my electric guitars, bass, pedals, tube amps, PA, etc., but they languish in a closet downstairs. Haven't even thought about them in over a year. Can't begin to imagine how I might get back into that scene again - even if I wanted to.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-25-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:09 PM

Nope,

been at it since age 11, I'm 67

I never get bored with any of it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-24-2024, 12:15 PM

I'm 78, played in rock-blues bands since the mid '60's, my last band broke up about 10 years ago. I still love my electrics, and pull them out and play them once in a while. However 90% of the time I'm strumming on my Martin OMC, learning new stuff, and just enjoying the simplicity of an acoustic. I'm now thinking of getting a nylon string to expand more into the bossa nova thing.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Quinn= View Post
. . . They are different animals . . . .
That's what Garcia thought. Two totally different instruments to be approached, played, appreciated, and understood differently. A folk guitar's fun starts down near the nut, an electric's is up the neck.

For my money, they're both a hoot. My favorite is whichever I'm playing at the time.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:38 PM

I sold my only electric guitar in late 1972 and in early 1973, I bought a new Martin D-35. At the time, the D-35 was my only guitar. In early 1977 I auditioned for a gigging band. I used a borrowed Telecaster, passed the audition and bought my own Telecaster. I've not been without an electric guitar since although, from 2001 to 2002, I didn't own an acoustic guitar. Now I have plenty of both.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 04-24-2024, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
But we are all reading it now.

Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
This thread you revived is over 8 years old and the person to whom you responded hasn't posted anywhere in this forum since 2016 so it's unlikely they're ever going to read your response.

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
For a while I was calling attention to threads that were being resurrected from the past, but quickly realized that it's really not important. Whether or not a thread is 'old' doesn't seem to matter. People contribute anyway and it can restart discussions on a topic, so I guess it's all good

"Zombie thread" or not, it's a relevant topic worthy of discussion. Especially for newer AGF members who weren't around the last time it flourished and then atrophied for whatever reason(s).

Perhaps some contributors here were still 100% electric last time it was active and have since gone acoustic? I, for one, am interested in how/why others here have made the transition, having done so myself.

Of additional interest (to me anyway) might be how former electric guitarists like to set up their acoustics (gauge/height, etc.) as opposed to players who've been acoustic from the beginning. All of my acoustics are set up to feel and handle a lot more like the Strats and LPs I "grew up" playing in bands.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-25-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:15 PM

The key fact that seems to be missing from so many comments on this kind of thread is, What Kind of Music are you playing?
When you get right down to it, a guitar is a tool, and they evolved into different types because of what worked for their application. Seems like the most common reason for giving up electric is, not playing gigs with a rock band.
I'm just as curious about the people who quit bluegrass because they're bored, and pickup an archtop and try jazz.
D'Angelico EXL-1 Excel
John Kinnard Frank Hill archtop
Fender Jazzmaster
Austin Tele
Old 04-24-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
That's what Garcia thought. Two totally different instruments to be approached, played, appreciated, and understood differently. A folk guitar's fun starts down near the nut, an electric's is up the neck.
Exactly right, IMO.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:42 AM

I'm mostly an electric player but started gigging as an acoustic player. It's added a whole new dimension to performing. Its all on me to play, sing, keep a beat, etc. I experimented with a looper pedal as well. And maybe a D-18ish acoustic is in my future...

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 04-25-2024, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

A friend of mine up the street got an electric guitar for Christmas when we were 10 years old, so we decided to start a band. He had a guitar so I needed a bass. Got a Peavey Patriot a little while later and stuck with it for a while, until one day I was visiting with a cousin who had a Harmony acoustic in the corner of his bedroom. I started messing around with it and really enjoyed it, so he sold it to me for all the money I had…$10. I took it home, and never picked up the bass again. I decided to switch over to electric and picked up a used Gibson SG and a cheap amp. I grew bored with electric pretty quickly and had pretty much stopped playing altogether when one day, for whatever reason, I picked up that Harmony and started plucking around on it again. That’s when I decided to sell the SG, the amp, and the Harmony to get a better acoustic.

I’ve played a lot of electric over the years since, and I do love electric, but acoustic will always be my main thing. No doubt about that.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I haven't even given given up electric guitar for Lent.

I don't see this as a binary choice.

I learned early on to play electric guitar by myself along with the music inside my head. I'm sure it sounds daft to my wife. I do more electric guitar sessions than acoustic or Spanish sessions. My latest expensive purchase was a Marshall amp. My latest cheap purchase was a replacement volume knob for my Gretsch lap steel.

I love both instruments. I'm grateful to be able to play both. I've even written an article about this subject. Maybe I'll trot it out one day, soon.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

This morning I’m responding to very old threads that seem to have been revived. Going back to when I started playing more than 45 years ago, I’ve always loved acoustic and electric guitars. My first time through (late 70s through late 80s) I played with other people a lot, and I spent overwhelmingly more time playing electric than acoustic. Barely played for 30 years (basically not at all, but I’d pick up a guitar every now and then to remind myself that playing without callouses really hurts and I’d gotten pretty bad). Got back into it seven plus years ago and since then I play on my own and play way more acoustic than electric. But, when I was much more of an electric player I’d still love to spend an evening just playing acoustic from time to time. And now, as much more of an acoustic player, I love to record songs and add the occasional electric lead part or maybe a funky second rhythm part. I’ve always had at least one of each and probably will for as long as I can physically play.

-Ray
Old 04-25-2024, 11:35 AM

If I could only pick one it would be acoustic, but I don't foresee myself not having both. I get a lot of enjoyment from electric as well as acoustic and there things you can do with one that the other can't do.

I don't buy the whole electric has to be an ensemble thing. I get way too much enjoyment jamming by myself with my electrics and I don't have expensive boutique amps or very many pedals.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:54 AM

I've crossed paths on a few forums with the OP (haven't seen him recently however) and I'm 99% sure he hasn't given up electric either.

Like many of you have said, this isn't an either/or situation. I've recently come back around to acoustic after many years of focus on electric and I love it. It's inspired me and pushed me as a player. I'm glad to have both and don't see giving either one up
Old 04-25-2024, 12:45 PM

They both have their place ...Now if you want to carry another guitar and setup...thats the question

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion