The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

My Gibson L-130 had the best neck of any guitar I’ve ever owned. That’s why it was my #1 for more than a decade. The tone was blissful too. Just a great guitar for me. I would still be playing it if it had not been busted over a bed post by a drunken ex, but I digress…

I could play that guitar for hours and hours and never get the slightest bit of hand fatigue. That’s the real test for me. I have owned a few that were close to being that good, but none that are that good.

I will own another L-130 someday.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
My Gibson L-130 had the best neck of any guitar I’ve ever owned. That’s why it was my #1 for more than a decade. The tone was blissful too. Just a great guitar for me. I would still be playing it if it had not been busted over a bed post by a drunken ex, but I digress…

I could play that guitar for hours and hours and never get the slightest bit of hand fatigue. That’s the real test for me. I have owned a few that were close to being that good, but none that are that good.

I will own another L-130 someday.
I played the 635 W for several hours yesterday and it's freaking amazing. It's very high up there on my list of best playability... my current favorite has been my Alvarez-Yairi WY1, but the Gibson is edging it out... tone-wise, I'm still warming up to the Gibson. The cedar top on the WY1 just rings beautifully. The Gibson is different (as expected). The tone is quite pleasing, but it is different. It's a little darker... a little more reserved (if that makes sense). I feel like there is still some tone in the Gibson that isn't coming out yet. Is that what I've heard people refer to as a 'stiff top'? Maybe...

It will be fun to see if the Gibson continues to mature. It's from 2017, so it isn't a new factory guitar.

But as for the neck? Holy mackerel, that thing is lightning... and it so darn comfortable. It's pretty much taken top spot on my 'best value' acquisition list...
Old 04-22-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I played the 635 W for several hours yesterday and it's freaking amazing. It's very high up there on my list of best playability... my current favorite has been my Alvarez-Yairi WY1, but the Gibson is edging it out... tone-wise, I'm still warming up to the Gibson. The cedar top on the WY1 just rings beautifully. The Gibson is different (as expected). The tone is quite pleasing, but it is different. It's a little darker... a little more reserved (if that makes sense). I feel like there is still some tone in the Gibson that isn't coming out yet. Is that what I've heard people refer to as a 'stiff top'? Maybe...

It will be fun to see if the Gibson continues to mature. It's from 2017, so it isn't a new factory guitar.

But as for the neck? Holy mackerel, that thing is lightning... and it so darn comfortable. It's pretty much taken top spot on my 'best value' acquisition list...
I’ve never heard of a 635. I’ll have to look them up.

Gibson guitars, acoustic and electric have been lifelong favorites of mine, mainly because of their necks. I love their sounds too, but no other necks are as comfortable for me as a good Gibson neck (Gretsch too, on the electric side)…Not all are the same, of course, but the good ones for me are VERY good…They are typically the smaller bodied guitars, but I own a J200 and it has a fantastic neck as well..And it is anything but a small body.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:50 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Yes, I was reviewing it. I think already had a J-45 by that time, but that could have happened a few months later.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-26-2024, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

As long as the fret ends aren't poking out or it's super thin (under about .78") I'm usually good with it. Recently I owned a D28CAA (.81) and a J45 Legend (1.0") at the same time. I'm pretty adaptable although wide and thin aren't my favorite. I frequently switch between electric and acoustic so nut width isn't as important to me as shape. But if the setup is good and I like the sound of a guitar, I'll deal with the neck. But if I had my way they'd all be .88 - .93 or so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion