The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2009, 05:48 AM

I bought a new HD-28 a few months ago after looking for a nice RW dread for a few months. I tried SCs, Collings, Huss & Dalton, Bourgeois, amd Martins. I must've tried a couple of dozen HD/D-28/35s at various stores. They all were very nice guitars, but I decided I'd wait and buy the guitar I just couldn't leave without. I found an HD-28 that I had to have, and bought it. To me, its the sweetest sounding, nicest playing guitar I tried. My advice, try before you buy....
Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 AM

I recently bought a 000-15 sight unseen, sound unheard. I like it a lot.

I also recently bought a D-16GT sight unseen, sound unheard, I love it to death.

I both cases, I'm very pleased. The D-16GT I got from Sweetwater.com who, despite being 'bigger box' than some of the smaller online dealers, treated me awesome for that purchase. The other upside to buying from Sweetwater is they have a 30 day no hassle return policy on everything including guitars. I appreciate the 48 hour tryout period most online dealers give, but honestly, we all know it takes more than 48 hours to really get to know a guitar. I mean, you can tell a bad egg right away, and you can usually tell a prime catch right away, but that gray area in between where most guitars falls calls for a little more test driving.

Luckily I did not need that 30 day policy on the D-16GT, but it was there if I needed it. Heck I've been playing it for weeks, and if I decided tomorrow I just didn't like it, I could still return it. (some one would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands though).

To sum it up, I have been very pleased with buying guitars online, and have also been very happy to not have a guitar that's been manhandled on the floor of my local Guitar Center or even Mom and Pop. It's a nice thought that my guitars went from Martin, straight to my dealer, opened once for an initial inspection, then kept in the case in a proper environment until I ordered it, then it was inspected once again before being sent to me.

I would also like to add that my D-16Gt from Sweetwater was perfect right out of the box. Did not expect it, but I've been playing the snot out of it without a single adjustment.

good luck, and fear not the online guitar purchase (especially with a good lengthy return policy).

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 12-12-2011, 10:33 PM

I like to try out my guitars before I make a purchase. I think you do "bond" with an instrument and in all my guitar purchases they were all made in store vs online. Usually during a Black Friday or a time of year when prices are really discounted. I know there may be an argument against buying in a store but for me I really like that bonding experience.

So far I've been very pleased with my guitars and as you can see one of my Strats is over 20 years old! Older than my kids it's one of my most valued possessions! My Taylors are also. I have played them a lot and they all have a special memory...

So...that's me. Lately I've been intrigued by custom guitars and of course price wise I know these guitars will be much more expensive but if I could find the the right one I guess I would be willing to pull the trigger! The other evening I saw a program where the singer was playing a McPherson and the guitar asides from looking so beautiful had an incredible tone! You can immediately see the quality of the instrument. So yes...I'm spoiled when it comes to guitars. Probably my only real expensive vice. (bad choice of words...) Used to be golf but that's kind of tapered off...

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015

Last edited by trek1500; 12-13-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorGA8 View Post
My only concern is that after reading many posts on the forum, I should be playing the guitar before buying and that I cannot just expect a great guitar.
I have bought many guitars without having heard or played them first. Almost all have been great guitars.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:16 PM

Default A Collings Digression

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
[snip]

Personally, I think the best Martins are made by Collings. I'd be checking out a Collings D2H. Collings are really cool. I want one...
I alluded to that sentiment when I reported on my visit to The Mandolin Store -- back in July, I think it was.

I had spent the better part of a day trying out several D-size Martins. Along the way, the salesman sneaked in a used but pristine Collings (a D2H, as I recall). To my ear its sound bore very little resemblance to what I consider the Martin sound.

It had what I could only describe as an intense clarity or chime-like sound. It's easy for me to imagine a Taylor fan liking that sound, less so a Martin fan.

Back to the OP: How did you come to desire a D-28? I ask because I thought I wanted a D-18GE; then when I played one alongside several rosewood Martins, I realized that it just wasn't for me. My favorite that day was the HD-28V. I wonder if it would still be so if I were to repeat the experiment. In the past my perceptions have changed over a fairly short period.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

It depends on whether you want to be certain that you like the tonal qualities of the guitar you buy. Each guitar in the same model has tonal differences. I ordered a Taylor 814 new once that didn't sound as good as several I subsequently played. The same thing happened with an R Taylor which I ended up replacing with one that was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned. For about a year I looked for a Martin HD-28. I ordered a new one and it sounded good but just didn't quite do what I wanted. I bought another one used (also without playing it) that wasn't quite what I wanted. After that I decided to only buy one I had played and was impressed with. I played them in a dozen or so shops in several states till one day I picked one up and that guitar just grabbed me like no other I had played. I bought it. It continued to be a guitar that had that same effect on me every time I played it. I sold it only after making the decision to stop trying to play dreadnoughts because of a right shoulder problem. I'll never forget that guitar.

I believe Taylors are more consistent than Martins but if I were you I'd count myself fortunate and buy the next one only after you find one you can play and that really grabs you.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Larrivee L-03
Old 12-13-2011, 02:26 PM

I've probably played a half dozen or so D28s, and all - except for one - was a dud.

The one I loved was from 1983, and I should have bought it but I didn't have the money.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM

.................................................. ....
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Although most of my guitar purchases have been online, I think given a choice, trying before you buy has to have the advantage. I understand your concerns about others having handled it before you in a shop situation but the opportunity to hear, feel and fit with the guitar far outweighs the 'already played' aspect. Have to say though my online purchases have rarely disappointed. I would second the advice to extend your trials to HD28,OM28 etc.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Default My Experience

Since I'm a lefty, I've not always had the luxury of "trying before buying."

I bought a D-28 sight unseen in 1980. The guitar sounded okay, but not great. I never bonded with it, and sold it after 25 years.

Just recently, I bought a OM-28V sight unseen. It blew me away! A truly fabulous guitar that has the warm and woody sound for which Martin is known. It is quite possibly the best-sounding acoustic I have ever played for that particular sound.

I love my Taylors also, for their own individual unique qualities, but the OM-28V is something special.
Taylor 615CEL (2006)
Taylor 714CEL (2009)
Eastman MD515L
Gibson CS-336L
Fender Stratocaster (1974)
Fender Hotrod Precision Bass
Luna Ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion