The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2023, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Question for those that use nickel plated guitar strings

Do you find that strings that are nickel plated are 'harder' on the fingertips? I recently installed a set of John Pearse Pure Nickel lights on my IRIS DF in an attempt to tame the overtones of that really loud and resonant guitar. It worked and they sound great.

But I seem to notice that my fingertips fatigue and hurt more quickly than with my other guitars which uses John Pearse PB or 80/20 New Mediums which are even a little thicker than the Pure Nickel lights. I will say that the guitar with the Pure Nickels does have a slightly longer scale than the others, so there is that.

I'm not a 'casual' player by any means. We gig several times a week and practice daily. So it's not like my fingertips are well callussed! Anyway, just thought I'd check with those of you in the great AGF hive mind that either play with or have at least tried nickel strings, especially the JP Pure Nickels.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:29 AM

Hi Scott,

Not precisely sure what you mean by “harder,” as it could mean a couple different of things. I string two of my guitars with Martin Retros, Curt Mangan Monels, or D’addario Nickel-bronze, depending on what I’ve got on hand (and the rest get 80/20’s or PB’s). I find that the nickel-based strings actually feel smoother under my finger tips than ones with bronze-based windings. The nickel-based strings almost feel like they are coated. I use slides in my playing (the fingers based slide technique, not the bottleneck technique), so the smoother feeling is something I appreciate. Trying to slide with aluminum bronze strings in particular feels like trying to slide on sandpaper.

If you are instead referring to string tension, is it possible that the nut slots on the Iris are a little higher?
Old 02-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Scott, I find the JP Nickels and Martin Monels are easier on my fingers. My guitars are "short" scale 24.95. I find that bronze/pb strings are stiff. You're thought about the longer scale guitar and added tension is probably right.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-21-2023, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

What you are experiencing could be a sign that you have an allergic sensitivity to nickel. I get an allergic reaction to both nickel (mild) and aluminum (much more severe) and that soreness is the first sign. If I continue to use the strings, I get redness and at the worst, blisters. Just keep paying attention to it. It might not get any worse if your sensitivity is mild. Because I have allergic reactions to certain metals and alloys, I have to pay attention when I try out new strings.
Best,
Jayne
Old 02-21-2023, 01:38 PM

I generally find NB and Monel to be smoother and a little easier on the fingers
Old 02-21-2023, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
What you are experiencing could be a sign that you have an allergic sensitivity to nickel. I get an allergic reaction to both nickel (mild) and aluminum (much more severe) and that soreness is the first sign. If I continue to use the strings, I get redness and at the worst, blisters. Just keep paying attention to it. It might not get any worse if your sensitivity is mild. Because I have allergic reactions to certain metals and alloys, I have to pay attention when I try out new strings.
Best,
Jayne
The strings are definitely 'smoother' feeling than the PB's and 80/20's I use on other guitars. By 'harder' I mean more difficult to play or at the very least more fatiguing on my fingertips.

I thought I had read somewhere about some people having an allergic reaction to nickel strings or other alloys so thanks for the above. I have not noticed any redness and certainly no blistering but I'll definitely pay a lot of attention for it.

I played two short gigs today with the guitar and I didn't really notice any discomfort during play (I never do unless it's REALLY long gig which we no longer play those). They are a little... sensitive right now but I'm not sure if it's just all in my head. Time will tell.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:38 PM

I'm not noticing any difference using the Pearse Pure Nickels vs PB's on my Larrivée's all L bodied 25.5" scale.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The strings are definitely 'smoother' feeling than the PB's and 80/20's I use on other guitars. By 'harder' I mean more difficult to play or at the very least more fatiguing on my fingertips.

I thought I had read somewhere about some people having an allergic reaction to nickel strings or other alloys so thanks for the above. I have not noticed any redness and certainly no blistering but I'll definitely pay a lot of attention for it.

I played two short gigs today with the guitar and I didn't really notice any discomfort during play (I never do unless it's REALLY long gig which we no longer play those). They are a little... sensitive right now but I'm not sure if it's just all in my head. Time will tell.

I hope that it gets sorted out through time. The allergy angle is likely a long shot as not that many players have the issue.
Best,
Jayne
Old 02-21-2023, 04:54 PM

It’s been awhile since I played the JP Nickels so I forgot what they were like. I don’t remember them being bad but obviously nothing that wowed me either. Between the Retros and D’addario NB I prefer the Retros for tone and tension/ feel, but both are nice on the right guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion