The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Default New (replacement) humidifier day - upgrade review

I didn't realize my humidifier had lasted six years (time flies!)

I bought *THIS* one back then

Well, the motor bearings wore out on one of the fans. I used it a lot and it ran non-stop at low fan speed for 3-4 months of the year so I guess six years of fan life is OK.

Well I was going to replace the fan motor ($35) and fan blade ($4) and the caster while ordering parts ($6) but that was $45, and for $150 I can get a brand new one with two new fans and new valves on the tanks etc,.

Home Depot stores price independently so shop around (our daughter worked there and said this is normal!) so one nearby store had this in stock for $188 and the next nearest store had it in stock for $150. That's ridiculous but I went to the next store and picked one up.

Well, the new unit is a massive upgrade over the prior. I seriously recommend upgrading if you use these models.

The new one has a much better humidistat, it has much quieter fans and humidifies faster (I assume because of higher air flow).

The old one's fill switch float was finicky. The new one's works well. The old one was noisy and seemed to always be on full or off without using the in between fan speeds, so I never used the auto feature - I just left it on F1 speed.

The new one actually works the way it's supposed to: at close RH% levels the fan runs slower/quieter, when the RH% is off by a larger amount the fan speed increases.

The new one works so well and so much more quietly I highly recommend it.

Also, it has a nicer control panel with clearly marked buttons and a better hygrometer display.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

So your new one is this same model, just newer? Just wondering since I’ve been looking at this same exact one on Amazon - meaning, the one you put in the link for.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
So your new one is this same model, just newer? Just wondering since I’ve been looking at this same exact one on Amazon - meaning, the one you put in the link for.
Yes exact same model but the newer version.

This model is private labeled as Essick, AirCare, Kenmore etc.

It comes in faux brushed aluminum or faux woodgrain finish but is the same exact unit.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Good to know - thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion