The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2018, 03:18 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: 2014 SCGC H14, SS, 1.75", Hide

I'm in a big "trying to figure out what I like" phase right now, having taken up the guitar about a year ago. I've acquired Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, Collings, a Guild, Bourgeois, and this is my first Santa Cruz.

I have come around to smaller guitars with short scales, 1.75" or 1 13/16" nuts, and fret radiuses of about 16" or less, at least at the nut end. I'm not too picky about necks, but I'm still figuring that out to some extent. I'm thinking of getting rid of the dreads I've acquired, as I prefer to hold the guitar on my left leg--I started on classical, and continue to pursue it. If I do get rid of the dreads, then the "most powerful" one left will be a Collings 0003 12-fret, which I think will be fine.

The race right now includes the following. Not sure how many I will keep, along with the Collings 0003:

- Collings 001M
- Bourgeois OM SS
- Bourgeois 0 Country Boy
- and now this SCGC H14 SS

All of the others are mod-V, but the SC is round C-type.

I found this on Reverb. The seller--who has been great to deal with--had none of the customizations listed. It was effectively listed as a full-stock spec H. I emailed SCGC with the serial number and got this reply from Christine Webster:

"Thank you for contacting us, I’m happy to help! H-1476 was completed in 2014 and customized with a 1-3/4” nut width, short scale (24.75”) length, Adirondack braces with hot hide glue, natural finish on top/back/sides, thin black back strip, Indian Rosewood overlay and SCGC script logo headstock inlay. All other specs are standard to the H model..."

Seller says it looks brand new. It'll be here Friday.

FF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 Santa Cruz H 1.jpg (23.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Santa Cruz H 2.jpg (45.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Santa Cruz H 3.jpg (46.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Santa Cruz H 4.jpg (24.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Santa Cruz H 5.jpg (30.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Santa Cruz H 6.jpg (44.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Very nice guitar. I think you’re heading down a fun path and it looks like you’re picking some great choices to try out. The SCGC H you’re waiting for looks like a beauty. Let’s us know what you think when it arrives. Congratulations.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

That’s a beauty! Congrats! Like you I’m fairly new to the guitar world. Been playing for about 4 1/2 years. During that time I’ve cycled through 17 guitars...mostly highend Martins, Gibsons, Taylors. Finally settled on the two in my sig. it’s a fun journey, huh?

Old 08-22-2018, 07:16 AM

Wow. That's a beautiful guitar. And some killer upgrades. Congratulations!!

I'm on a similar guitar journey. I know I prefer medium to small sized, short scale guitars, and I'm working my way through various makers and woods in search of what I like.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 AM

Me thinks you're gonna keep that one!
scott
Old 08-22-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I saw this reverb listing. Looks like a nice guitar and a good price too!

Have fun

madhat.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Very nice guitar. I think you’re heading down a fun path and it looks like you’re picking some great choices to try out. The SCGC H you’re waiting for looks like a beauty. Let’s us know what you think when it arrives. Congratulations.
Will do. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
That’s a beauty! Congrats! Like you I’m fairly new to the guitar world. Been playing for about 4 1/2 years. During that time I’ve cycled through 17 guitars...mostly highend Martins, Gibsons, Taylors. Finally settled on the two in my sig. it’s a fun journey, huh?
Thank you. It is fun! Not sure my wife is having fun, but I've started to sell a few back recently, which has had a calming effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Wow. That's a beautiful guitar. And some killer upgrades. Congratulations!!

I'm on a similar guitar journey. I know I prefer medium to small sized, short scale guitars, and I'm working my way through various makers and woods in search of what I like.
Thank you! I didn't have this journey in mind when I started, but I have learned a lot. I think the fact that I started with a classical got me thinking about all of the ways guitars differ. I got to play a few and noticed that certain things appealed to me...

Then, when I got to thinking about a steel-string, I was already in that mindset. I'm not a social media guy, so the web's biggest contribution in my life has been the availability of secondary markets--for buying and selling. Forums like this one and Delcamp have also been very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Me thinks you're gonna keep that one!
scott
I'm certainly looking forward to it! It will be interesting to see how the neck profile fits. So far, I've only really decided that I don't like my necks too thin--causes thumb cramps when barring. I don't have long enough fingers and thumb to easily fret with my thumb, though I will damp with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
I saw this reverb listing. Looks like a nice guitar and a good price too!

Have fun

madhat.
Thank you! I will. Yes, it had been up for 8 months. I kinda wondered if there was something I was missing. The short scale is probably the turnoff for many. I have wondered if the short scale defeats the purpose of the deeper body to some extent. That is, Santa Cruz's description of the 'H' guitars mentions the longer scale as a factor in the design--the extra pressure on the bridge contributing to the "bigger" sound.

Christine Webster mentioned in her email back to me that they put low tension parabolic strings on the H. That made me think that the extra pressure from string tension wasn't critical, so to speak. In any case, I obviously thought it worth the risk.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion