The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Guitar stands with shorter back leg

So I'm looking for a stand for my nitrocellulose finished guitar. Many well known stands have a shorter leg in the back so the stand lean backwards. How can this stable? Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-15-2018, 08:24 PM

Default stand

Virtually every stand has the guitar leaning backwards some. That keeps it from being balanced, tippy, and able to "fall" in either direction - off or on. Leaning back some, its weight help to keep it on the stand.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 PM

Exactly. Keep it tilted back keeps the center of gravity lower and more centered over the area between the stand’s legs. All of this increases stability. I’m picturing a Hurcules stand, for example.

See: http://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age11...ty_/index.html

This is why I keep my stand’s neck height just high enough to keep the bottom of it off the floor (and use a right angle cable) and no higher than necessary.

Hope this helps keep your guitar safe!

Stan
Old 02-15-2018, 08:44 PM

forget those cheap stands and a-frames. I use Ultimate Stands S100's. It is a hanging stand, folds relatively small (unlike Hercules), durable (unlike Hercules), no moving parts (unlike Hercules), not expensive. Nitro safe.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

I have a couple of the Ultimate GS100 (1000?) stands that I use, both around the house and on stage. I like them a lot, they are quite stable (even when they get "bumped" a bit!), and the legs have a soft covering that seems to be some sort of synthetic microfiber similar to the "new style" guitar cloths... and they do not mark up my nitro-cellulose lacquered at all, even over extended periods of time...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-16-2018, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks all for your ideas and thoughts. Love that little physics tutorial!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion