The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

hey, ted - can you confirm that the mahogany top version is solid? it's listed where i've seen it as "Tropical mahogany top" where the spruce top version is listed the same places as having a "Solid Sitka Spruce" top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
One of the best A/B comparisons I have heard Mike. Through my headphones the Spruce had more clarity while the hog top has more warmth but they are certainly quite close tonally.

I would love for you to do this again in a few month after the Mahogany has had time to open up. In fact I would love to hear the difference between this recording of the new hog top mini and after it has opened up.

Thank you Mike!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Anybody who talks bad about the GS Mini obviously hasn't played one. It's been one of my all time favorites in my collection. So easy to play... Especially for me since I've had multiple shoulder sugeries. That aside... My buddy thinks it sounds better than his full size Taylor and I agree! They are light and portable... I wish Taylor would make a high end model of the GS Mini!
Old 01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mike,

That was really enjoyable! Really good playing and an excellent comparison of the guitars. I can see the value of both spruce and mahogany tops for different kinds of playing. I am one who has had no interest in playing the Taylor GS Mini, even though I own 3 other Taylor models. But your sound file has made me rethink my lack of interest. I am going to have to try out this GS Mini now.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-29-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
hey, ted - can you confirm that the mahogany top version is solid? it's listed where i've seen it as "Tropical mahogany top" where the spruce top version is listed the same places as having a "Solid Sitka Spruce" top.
Yes Patti, the soundboard is solid Mahogany.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

definitely try one if you get the chance. i was quite surprised by how good the gs mini spruce sounds in person. i guess i was expecting something like the baby taylor or at least a smaller sound, but the gs mini really does sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Mike,

That was really enjoyable! Really good playing and an excellent comparison of the guitars. I can see the value of both spruce and mahogany tops for different kinds of playing. I am one has had no interest in playing the Taylor GS Mini, even though I own 3 other Taylor models. But your sound file has made me rethink my lack of interest. I am going to have to try out this GS Mini now.

- Glenn

thanks

gotta try one of those in person.

now if only taylor would come out with a 1 3/4" nut version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Yes Patti, the soundboard is solid Mahogany.

Last edited by patticake; 01-28-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 PM

Wow. Nice playing and nice sound. I was so ignorant that I thought the GS mini wasn't a "real" guitar.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Interesting how some folks prefer the hog and some the spruce. They're both great guitars. I love the sound and look of my spruce top but very keen to have a play on a hog when I run across one.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, thank you for the A/B comparison.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Mine...sorr fixed linc

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7GG...e_gdata_player

Sent from my iPad

Last edited by ahorsewithnonam; 01-29-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:42 AM

awesome playing and awesome comparison... both sound great, but I'm glad I have a spruce gs mini

"If I find in myself a desire which nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
-CS Lewis
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 AM

After listening to the clip again.... I've definitely warmed up to the mahogany top (pun intended).. it definitely has a warm and mellow sound that I like. They both sound incredible for small body short scale guitars. I've heard that the clip in PU isn't that good, but I think it depends on playing style.
Again... great playing. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Mkel12,
Based on YOUR playing I'd buy both! Thanks for the well-down A/B.
dj
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM

I purchased my spruce top mini in Oct. 2011, and continue to be very pleased with its sound, feel and intonation!

Yesterday, I went to my local Taylor shop to see if they had a Mini Hog, and much to my delight....they had just received one the day prior. I played it for about 45 minutes.....both strumming with pick and fingerstyle. This guitar sounded really nice to me and others that were in the store. It definitely offers a "warmer" sound and doesn't project quite as well as the Spruce top mini......especially when playing fingerstyle. It's warmer sound offers a nicety and uniqueness of its own that is very satisfying to play. Setup and intonation were fantastic and felt great in my hands.

Guess what......there was no way I was going to leave the store without buying it!!

Some will ask.....which do I like better? My answer is BOTH, but for different playing styles and sounds. Those that prefer the typical brighter Taylor sound will probably prefer the spruce top....those that prefer a warmer and possibly richer sound for lack of a better description will probably prefer the mahogony. Both sound great to me and are very fun/inspiring to play!

BTW....nice playing OP! I also really liked the A/B comparison video by fazio!!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Fixed my link above. Had wrong video before.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
http://soundcloud.com/mike-kelly-4/gs-mini-ab-test

Here is a comparison of the tones from my 8 month old spruce top mini and my 2 day old mahogany top mini.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Great comparison and excellent playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion