The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 06:16 PM

Default NGD: Eastman ACTG1 (with a question)

Great little guitar. A/B’d a lot with a GS Mini, and had to have this one. I could see preferring the Taylor’s lower-key tone, but this was more dynamic and sustained better. It really is an interesting blend of big and small sound. Playability was a wash for me, and they’re just about exactly the same size. Eastman has better Specs with ebony and all solid.

Love the pinstripes.

Question: I’m tempted to remove the pickguard to visualize the bookmatch the little pock mark between the sound hole and the bridge. Terrible idea? Does this get messy?
Old 02-06-2024, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenOR View Post
Great little guitar. A/B’d a lot with a GS Mini, and had to have this one. I could see preferring the Taylor’s lower-key tone, but this was more dynamic and sustained better. It really is an interesting blend of big and small sound. Playability was a wash for me, and they’re just about exactly the same size. Eastman has better Specs with ebony and all solid.

Love the pinstripes.

Question: I’m tempted to remove the pickguard to visualize the bookmatch the little pock mark between the sound hole and the bridge. Terrible idea? Does this get messy?
I have many Eastmans (including the ACTG1), but I have never wanted to
remove the pickguard. No idea what they are using to attach it. I think the finish is thick enough to survive removal, but I would probably email them and see if they had advice.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
I have many Eastmans (including the ACTG1), but I have never wanted to
remove the pickguard. No idea what they are using to attach it. I think the finish is thick enough to survive removal, but I would probably email them and see if they had advice.

Good idea, thanks. If it’s at all risky I’ll just let it go. But I do think it would look cool to have that little mark mirrored. Also, I seldom use picks, likely even less on this guitar.

Did you ever add a pickup to the ACTG1?
Old 02-08-2024, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I just bought a used E1OM PCH. It came yesterday.

It is the cutest little thing. I intend to remove the pickguard and replace it with a tiger stripe L00 pickguard I have in my drawer. I assume (time will tell) that it is attached like other piskguards and can be removed by heating the surface up with a hair dryer to loosen the glue, then pealing it off.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:34 AM

Please follow up with how pickguard removal goes!

After a few days, I really like the guitar. It brings out creativity and style, and thats what I want out of a new guitar. Also, you pair this with the right recliner, and it allows for the laziest of playing positions. Half-watching an episode of 30 Rock I've seen a dozen times and picking on this 3/4 guitar 3/4 prone in plush comfort: that's a nice evening.

It didn't bother me so much at the store, but switching between dread and this one at home--the nut width is a bit of a bother. I'll get used to it, but I also have pretty small hands. I could see it being a dealbreaker for some.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I had a new Eastman OM whose pick guard I removed. It was easy to get off. There was a tan line, which took a little more effort to erase. Details are here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=616742
Old 02-08-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I had a new Eastman OM whose pick guard I removed. It was easy to get off. There was a tan line, which took a little more effort to erase. Details are here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=616742
Wow! Couldn't have asked for more. Thanks a ton for replying with this.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Nice get! The sooner you lose the pickguard, the lesser the tan line will be.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-20-2024, 06:53 PM

Two week update. I love this thing. Such a cool tone: some low end (relative, at least) with the small body charm. I started out wanting a parlor--and taking an antique one on as a project, and though this is less traditional, to my ear the mini-jumbo is a favorable tone. I chose this (painfully) over a Yamaha CSFTA on clearance for the same price. It's a dream to play on the couch. Rings and rings and rings. Loves fingerstyle.

Downsides are the nut width--though not too big a deal for me. It's also pretty jarring to go between this and my main--an LL16. However, doubletracking these two sounds amazing. If I was more confident I'd show you. Maybe if I can ever get it clean enough.

Strong recommend to anyone that's the least bit curious. Maybe I'll get the Taylor, too.

Last edited by woodenOR; 02-20-2024 at 07:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion