The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2021, 09:03 AM

Default Hazing ... and not the fraternity kind

Hello,

I got a line on an older (2013?) all solid-body guitar. It was listed as being in "excellent" condition ... which I thought was problematic for a guitar that old. So I called the store and got a friendly guy who told me in his opinion it is not in excellent condition cosmetically as it has some dings but no cracks.

However he added there was some hazing on the top. He did say there was nothing wrong with it structurally and the store does have I think a friendly return procedure. I certainly would think it could be returned just on the basis of it being advertised as being in excellent condition ... which to me certainly does not include a guitar with hazing and some dings.

So, should I be concerned? Mainly about the hazing but I am also somewhat put back by that to me misleading ad ... but I imagine that is just the opinion of whoever posted the online ad.

Thanks in advance.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-24-2021, 09:17 AM

Two thoughts. A) at least they were honest about condition on the phone, B) I would ask for pics to see how bad the hazing is. If its mild and in the normal spots, (where ones arm rests over the guitar,) then I would go for it and take care of the finish with Virtuoso Polish or one of the other fine finish restoration options for guitars, assuming its a guitar you know you want and the price is right.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Man View Post
Two thoughts. A) at least they were honest about condition on the phone, B) I would ask for pics to see how bad the hazing is. If its mild and in the normal spots, (where ones arm rests over the guitar,) then I would go for it and take care of the finish with Virtuoso Polish or one of the other fine finish restoration options for guitars, assuming its a guitar you know you want and the price is right.
Good idea. If somebody will do provide the pics. I do think my old (mid-70s) Guild D-55 had some hazing. In fact, in that area it was actually worn down to the wood. I was told the guitar had been owned by a local musician who played it almost daily at his gigs in the area. I owned the guitar for 20 years and it never bothered me in the least.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-24-2021, 09:31 AM

It wouldn't worry me too much so long as the price is right.

As for the ad being misleading... well to me, mint means mint, but anything else like excellent, good, average, etc means "for the age". A couple of very minor dings and a tiny bit of hazing in the usual places could still be reasonably described as very good to excellent for a 8-year-old guitar.

I'm very careful not to over-promise and underdeliver with guitars - i can't stand it when people say "excellent" and then the thing looks like its rolled down a concrete stairwell and I won't do it to other people, but some people are a little more "optimistic" about condition. Either way, I wouldn't let it put you off on principle - just don't pay more than YOU think it's worth.

Last edited by RalphH; 08-24-2021 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
It wouldn't worry me too much so long as the price is right.

As for the ad being misleading... well to me, mint means mint, but anything else like excellent, good, average, etc means "for the age". A couple of very minor dings and a tiny bit of hazing in the usual places could still be reasonably described as very good to excellent for a 8-year-old guitar.

I'm very careful not to over-promise and underdeliver with guitars - i can't stand it when people say "excellent" and then the thing looks like its rolled down a concrete stairwell and I won't do it to other people, but some people are a little more "optimistic" about condition. Either way, I wouldn't let it put you off on principle - just don't pay more than YOU think it's worth.
I agree with you about "for the age." Right now, for example, I'm looking to buy a "newer" used car and what you said applies here, too.

However in this case I looked up the website's policies on grading of used gear and "excellent" says an item will be free from scratches (and I guess dings, too), blemishes and other signs of wear.

So using this criteria, I would say it is not a guitar in excellent condition.
However, using the "age" formula, I still don't think it would be considered a guitar in excellent condition. Maybe very good or good.

Now if it was an older guitar (this is only about 8 years old max), I would think this would be an excellent-condition guitar.

It's a minor point and a good return policy is helpful.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-25-2021, 08:10 AM

B tw I passed on the guitar. For one, I also found out it has a cedar top, not solid spruce.

Also, nobody at the store called me back after I was assured somebody would contact me as soon as possible.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion