The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Observations on the Qualities of Picks/plectrums.

It is a popular subject at present, and rightly so.

Comparisons of 40p thin celluloid unbranded picks to Blue Chips and so on continue, but might I throw a little light on this without promoting any make or type.

Asking about which pick to use is something I often get asked. It is like asking whether you should have a cheap/expensive large /small guitar = in that (I believe) it might be better to think about what is the best tool for the job.

What DO we want in a pick? Let's think about that for a moment because not all seek the same qualities:

Some want something for gently stroking up and down six strings at a time, whilst some require something to give them precise single notes with the best sonic qualities. Many are somewhere in between.

What does a pluck/plectrum do? It provides an alternative point of contact to strings apart from bare fingers/nails.

So what do we want of it? Varying by taste, I'd suggest that we choose based on a number of variables - comfort, attack, tone, speed, and , inevitably cost.

Everyone rightfully has their own opinions, and many simply don't care , and some of us are obsessive about these factors. Let's break it down:

Comfort: Any hand tool should be ergonomic. Whatever it does for someone else, if it doesn't work for you it is because you are using it wrong or simply need another tool.
for some a very stiff pick give too much resistance whilst for others (like me) a soft bendy pick is hard work to control and gives poor tone.

Whilst the most common shape is the teardrop (351) I found that discovering the large triangle (346) gave me a lot more control and comfort.

A common complaint is of a pick slipping from ones fingers - and I have found that this is best avoiding by licking your pick before you play and not holding it too tight (the tiddlywink effect).

Thickness is a common topic because, along with material, it governs the make up of the sound of the picked string.

Hardness of material –often associated with thickness is also a factor.

There are different aspects of the sound of a picked string - and (I think) they are: attack, bass/treble balance, power, and speed.

Attack: that degree of "click" at the start of the released string- i.e. the sound of impact of the string.
Bass/treble balance: the thinner the pick the less control and the more treble will be accented, and the vice versa. Too thin - clacky, too fat, dull.
Power: The mass (and material) of the pick plus the energy put in by the player, governs the degree of movement/agitation of the string.
Speed: the friction occurring between the string and the pick – governed by the material, the angle/bevel on the trailing edge of the pick, AND the angle of the point coming into contact with the string – analogous to a cutting tool

The ideal combination – it would seem to me (using a pick on a flat-top guitar) is a comfortable pick which gives you some initial attack, followed by a powerful tonality – evenly balanced attack from treble middle and bass, and an easy transport across the string(s) enabling speed where necessary, without causing excessive tiredness in the picking hand.

As far as tonality – IF your instrument is biased towards the treble, a thicker pick might help redress the balance.
If over bassy, then perhaps a harder, if not thinner pick might help.

Please note -the above are my observations developed over some years of playing but they are opinions only - not facts, although I hope some of this at least might be of some help.

So, I'd welcome the opinions /input of others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion