The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvingriff View Post
Eastman hands down,....
In this pony race there is no hands down winner. We all should know that brand purchase is at best unreliable and unpredictable. The buyer needs to sample the instruments available to him and made a decision based on what sounds and plays the best for him/her on any given day.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 AM

I've played a couple of Recording Kings in stores. Not sure if I played that particular model. The ones I've played had a very thick v-shaped neck that I found to be kind of awkward. I guess this is meant to be a vintage feature. I've seen posts where people say they've gotten used to it and now love their guitar, but if you're going to move back and forth between this and another instrument it might be an issue.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil02131 View Post
I guess this is meant to be a vintage feature. I've seen posts where people say they've gotten used to it and now love their guitar, but if you're going to move back and forth between this and another instrument it might be an issue.
It's a take on the Martin 000-28vs basically, I have this neck profile on the ros-627 and also on my Martin 0-28vs, when using either of them and switching to a non V-neck there is no issue at all.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 AM

As someone else said, I believe the answer you're looking for is Larrivee.

At the price range you mentioned I would be looking at the the Larrivee 3 series guitars. Check out www.larriveeforum.com for more information from Larrivee-heads.

Or if you're interested in a Guild GAD-30 I'll be happy to sell you mine! It's spruce/mahogany with the antique burst finish that they don't make anymore.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Default and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
In this pony race there is no hands down winner. We all should know that brand purchase is at best unreliable and unpredictable. The buyer needs to sample the instruments available to him and made a decision based on what sounds and plays the best for him/her on any given day.
I find myself in agreement with this, but the logic has evaded me until this moment.

With the lack of stores or outlets in my area, it is hard to get a first hand acquaintance, so my only defense is to go for quality - percieved quality (or to drive several hundred miles).

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM

There is no answer, just opinions.. Mine would be Eastman, but the guitar that speaks to you is the one you should buy. Another opinion from me is.... I've played quite a few BR and RK guitars, but they have never spoken to me, so I have an Eastman... it did

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion