The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default Man vs. Strings

I've been on a run trying various coated strings on my two 000-12s (EIR/Adi and Maple/Carpathian). Just thought I would share my observations. These are, of course, one man's opinion...YMMV.

I tried Elixir, D'Addario EXP and Martin Lifespan light gauge PB sets on each guitar. Here are my observations:

(1) The Martins and the D'Adds were less snappy out of the box than their regular counterparts. i.e. they sound more broken in right away. Similar with the Elixirs to say John Pearse.

(2) They all settled in to their optimum sound after an hour or two of play time. I liked the tone of all the strings during this phase. The Elixirs lasted the longest in this phase, the EXPs the least.

(3) Within a two or three weeks they all degraded into a "semi-dull" tone. Noticeably degraded tone from optimum, this tone caries on for a long period. Regular strings would be in their tonal death decay at this point.

Overall, I would say the coated strings all gave some extra time with really nice tone. My favorite guitar/string combo was the EXPs on the EIR guitar. I bought several of these sets and will use them on this guitar. After this I will go back to regular strings.

NOTE: The maple guitar is less forgiving with the strings. I chalk this up to to the more transparent tone of this guitar.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 PM

thanks for sharing your EXPeriences (couldn't resist). I have a set of EXP .13's sitting in a drawer. Tried a set and it was ok but went back to Martin MSP3200's, just seems to work best on my Breedlove. It's interesting how different string set makes/models will play so differently as they do
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM

Why coated?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Why coated?

It all started with the EIR guitar. I really liked the tone of D'Addario EJ16s on there, but they died rapidly. This led to trying EXP 16s in an attempt to get the same tone with longer life. Then the others mentioned.

The maple guitar came along and I tried the same strings on that guitar.

In the end, I just prefer uncoated strings...particularly on the maple guitar. Just put John Pearse PB lights on there for the first time. We shall see...

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion