The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor 8-String baritone back/sides opinions

I have a Santa Cruz Brozman baritone but am thinking of adding another baritone to the mix. In particular, I'm considering the Taylor 8-string since it will add some tonal variety (i.e., sparkle with the octave strings) and also it's ready to go with a pickup for playing out, which will be useful for me. I'm also familiar with the discussion re: scale length; having once had a Tacoma baritone (with the 29" inch scale), I'm not looking to be talked into anything much beyond 27" or into the hand-built pricepoint since this would be a second baritone for me.

Does anyone have direct experience comparing the different "flavors" of Taylor 8-strings? I'm seeing rosewood, mahogany, ovangkol, and blackwood models currently available (on-line at least). My SCGC baritone is mahogany, and generally I prefer mahogany guitars to rosewood, although I don't know how much this preference will generalize to baritones. I'd love to hear others' thoughts about the different 8-string models/woods that Taylor is currently offering.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM

What type of blackwood does Taylor use on these guitars? I ask because African Blackwood and Austrailian Blackwood are not at all similar, I believe African Blackwood is a very dense rosewood while Austrailian Blackwood is in the koa family.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

"Hawaiian koa's close cousin, Tasmanian blackwood, is a fellow acacia wood species." (from the Taylor website)
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
"Hawaiian koa's close cousin, Tasmanian blackwood, is a fellow acacia wood species." (from the Taylor website)
That's what I figured, Tasmanian Blackwood and Austrailian Blackwood are different names for the same wood. I have nothing to add not having played these guitars, beyond that they can sound wonderful such as in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP2J3HWfBcI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion