The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2015, 07:05 AM

Default Opus by Harmony

Hello everyone. This is my first post so if I do something wrong don't jump on me! I inherited an Opus guitar from my finally departed.....errrr I mean dearly departed fathers estate. (We didn't get along that well). So I've done a lot of digging and I know the guitar about 40 years old. Was harmony attempt to make a higher class guitar. I have pics but not sure about how to post. Anyway. ...if you're interested in seeing pics let me know how to post them or you can email me directly I suppose at [email protected] I'm not selling it. I'm getting it fixed up and then get back to playing after 20 some years. I just want to know more about it. Thanks for listening!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM

You're right about it being Harmony's attempt to build a higher-quality instrument, intended to compete with the better Japanese imports as well as the low-end domestic products (which weren't exactly enjoying a golden age of quality in the early-70's), and you're right to hang onto it as they're beginning to generate a bit of collector interest. FYI Vintage Guitar did a piece about them last month - check out their website...
Old 06-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Default Harmony Opus

Thank you for the reply! I will check out that article. I've done a bit more digging and I like the story behind the opus. I had mine rest rung today and was shown that the neck is warped. In 2 places in 2 different ways,. Odd but they said that with the narrow neck and the guitar probably sitting in different positions for years gathering dust and who knows about moisture....etc. is there any way to straighten a neck? I read an article about a man refinishing an Opus 10. US mm. ..that's a way beyond me. Like a different galaxy! Really interesting though. So mine also has an odd tag marking. It looks exactly like one that says OPUS 10. However, mine says OPUS... then X. ..then 1061. Thought it was interesting. It's fun to have something older and try to find out particular things about it.
Again. ..thanks for reply!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoppat View Post
...I had mine restrung today and was shown that the neck is warped. In 2 places in 2 different ways...is there any way to straighten a neck?
Most good techs - with the emphasis on good - should be able to do a heatpress for about $150; if your tech can't do the job, ask him/her about someone who can...
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 PM

Default Harmony Opus

Thanks for the info. Now I know what to ask!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:11 PM

The Opus line was only made '74 - '75. I played a couple when they came out. I thought the price tag was ridiculous as it was a Harmony and was about double the cost of the last Sovereigns. But in the end it did not matter as I could not live with the pencil thin necks.

I have run across two for sale in the past year. In fact, there was one up for grabs eBay which just closed this week.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:15 PM

Default Opus

Yes. 475 I think.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:50 PM

The irony today, of course, is something like the double pickguard Sovereign 1265 is worth double what any of the Opus lines brings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion