The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-11-2024, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Dave Bianchin OMC - Swiss Spruce - FBT Mahogany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Thanks for showcasing Dave’s work, he’s a fine builder and better person.
And so far - that rosette: mmm-mmmm! Delicious!

Steve
Thank you Steve I'm happy to showcase Dave's work on this build. I'm sure that Dave will appreciate your complements as a friend and because of your body of work as a master luthier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I concur with everyone's assessment about David and Julie as well, great people and devoted guitar lovers.

I love a story like this, B.I.G. at work, a simple conversation starts on the back deck and the next thing you know, a new beautiful guitar is the result which by itself makes the world just a wee bit better.

The woods and rosette look fantastic, great choices.

Thank you Tom and Kathy for hosting these B.I.G. luthier shows at your home. So many of us are richer from the friendships we have made at these events and the connections that have led to guitar purchases at the show and subsequent commissions with the exhibiting luthiers. I'm glad you like the tone wood selections and rosette design we went with on this OMC build.

Below are pictures taken following Dave successfully bending the side pieces for this highly figured Fiddleback Tree Mahogany, a crucial step as sets of this wood sold out quickly and replacement pieces would be next to impossible to obtain.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 03-12-2024 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Coming along nicely and everything looks awesome! Can’t wait to see and play it once you get it. Same with your Aboudid when that one comes!! 🎸🎸
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

This is coming along beautifully!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-13-2024, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Bianchin OMC Swiss Spruce - FBT Mahogany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Coming along nicely and everything looks awesome! Can’t wait to see and play it once you get it. Same with your Aboudid when that one comes!! ����
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
This is coming along beautifully!

Jim and Mike, thank you for your generous comments on the progress of this build!

Below is a picture of the FBT back with the ebony backstrip and purfling installed along with a picture of the top wood with the green dyed maple burl and abalone rosette installed.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 04-17-2024 at 05:43 AM. Reason: wording
Old 03-13-2024, 07:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Doug was very kind in referring to bending the sides as a crucial step. In fact, I was super nervous about it, with all that short-grain fiddleback flame. Thankfully, it turned out well. I want to give credit to Mark Hatcher, who has built a couple guitars from the FBT, for corresponding with me about the process. The helpfulness and support of both luthiers and players in this community is pretty special, and I very much appreciate it. Thanks to all.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Bianchin OMC - Swiss Spruce - FBT Mahogany

Dave, I never had any doubt you'd pull off bending the FBT side pieces

OK, in reality, we both breathed a little easier when that step was complete. I'm glad Mark Hatcher shared his knowledge/experience bending "The Fiddleback Tree" Mahogany. One of his FBT builds was a commissioned Josie (SJ) model for me!

So, Dave shared a pre-weekend progress report. He has completed the side assembly and the top kerfing is attached. He will profile the bottom edges before installing the other kerfing. The ebony bindings were also successfully bent.

A nice touch, I noticed that he used some of the FBT mahogany on the end of the neck block.

Also, the top and back are profiled and the preliminary top thickness is done.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 03-31-2024 at 06:10 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-16-2024, 05:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Doug was very kind in referring to bending the sides as a crucial step. In fact, I was super nervous about it, with all that short-grain fiddleback flame. Thankfully, it turned out well. I want to give credit to Mark Hatcher, who has built a couple guitars from the FBT, for corresponding with me about the process. The helpfulness and support of both luthiers and players in this community is pretty special, and I very much appreciate it. Thanks to all.
Thanks for the mention Dave. I’m glad that worked out for you! It’s looking great!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 03-20-2024, 06:08 PM

I had one of Dave's estrella classical guitars along time ago and loved it. The wood he used was fantastic!

This build looks gorgeous. I'm excited to watch it take shape!

To Dave - congratulations on making it to your 50th build!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL_Guitar View Post
I had one of Dave's estrella classical guitars along time ago and loved it. The wood he used was fantastic!

This build looks gorgeous. I'm excited to watch it take shape!

To Dave - congratulations on making it to your 50th build!

Thanks for chiming in JL and Mark!

Dave uses hot hide glue for installation of top and back braces. He provided a few pictures of the initial stages of that process.

He's using Lutz Spruce for the top bracing (along with a laminated bridge plate) and Sitka spruce for the back braces.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:42 PM

Looks like he uses a fan bracing on the top. Was that said earlier, if so I apologize.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good eye, Tom! I’m using a hybrid pattern. There is an X-brace, with fans in the lower bout. At BIG three years ago, I was really impressed with Joel (Two Hands Guitars) and Steve’s (Edwinson Guitars) guitars. With their blessing I have used my interpretation of that system on two guitars, and really liked it. Doug was looking for a “modern” sound so I’m using that pattern again. So, big thanks to Joel and Steve (and Doug)!
Old 04-08-2024, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Below are the some pictures and comments I received from Dave this morning:

"The first photo shows the fan braces being glued on the go-bar deck."

"In the second, I'm sanding the dome onto the rims"

"In the third, all the braces are glued and rough-carved, and fitted to the rim".

Dave will be able to add more info and answer questions about the hybrid bracing pattern he is using on this OMC build.

Stay tuned!
Old 04-13-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Bianchin OMC - Swiss Spruce - FBT Mahogany

Dave now has all the braces and brackets glued and is doing the final fitting of the back.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

That's looking great. I am intrigued by the X fan, but overall, there's a lot going on there! When looking closer at the finished braced top, I like the simple, yet nifty engineering where the transverse brace is being anchored to the sides with those little wedges. Plus it appears that it's tied to the neck block snuggly. I assume this is to keep the neck anchored to a stiff and strong body that will hopefully lesson its chances of needing a neck reset in the future, no?

Regardless, after meeting Dave a few times at B.I.G., it's a joy to be able to see his work.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, Doug, for posting again, and thanks, Dan, for your kind comment. You’re right about the bracing in the upper bout. It comes, originally, from David Russell Young’s book from 1975. I have used it on every guitar I have built except for one. Interestingly, that one is the only one that has needed a neck reset. Thanks for following along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop