The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2023, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Default 1980s Lowden S-10 Discussion and Value

Hello,

I recently played a vintage Lowden S-10 in a local guitar shop built in the 1980s, and I absolutely fell in love with the instrument. It’s been well played, and has significant scarring where a pick guard would normally sit. Other small dings and dents are present across the guitar, but it is structurally intact throughout. It was the first Lowden I have ever played, and I thought the tone and response of the guitar was some of the best I have ever experienced.

The guitar is fitted with an old Fishman pickup, and is currently listed at $2000. I understand that newer Lowdens go for significantly higher prices, but to me, $2000 even seemed a bit high considering the age along with the wear and tear on the instrument. It’s a cedar top and mahogany back/sides, and I believe it’s an ebony fretboard.

Was hoping to get some feedback on others experience with Lowden guitars, and some advice on fair value of an instrument in this condition. Thanks in advance!

-Luke
Old 01-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Luke,

Welcome to the AGF! I've got a more recent Lowden, an F-25, but have kept a pretty close eye on used Lowden prices over the last few years. My first reaction at the price, not knowing the exact condition of this S-10, is that it's probably not a bad starting point, particularly if it's in good structural shape and doesn't need anything major.

From 1980-1985, Lowden's were made under license by the S. Yairi company in Japan, with production in N. Ireland resuming in 1985. You can likely ID which era this one is from by referencing the label shape/color. If you decide to pass on it, I'd be interested to know some details.

Best of luck with your decision and, again - welcome!

Austin
Old 01-08-2023, 07:39 PM

You can try posting on this FB page to try and find out more about the S-10:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/167570803423642

Pierre Muller there keeps a running record of Lowden serial numbers.

As what Austin has mentioned, S.Yairi were the OEM for George during 1980 to 1985. I have a S.Yairi YD-507 which is the same as the Lowden L25 and it is a fantastic instrument combining George's genius design and the exquisite craftsmanship of S.Yairi builders.

Just confirm that the neck angle is good and the pinless (some are pinned though) bridge is in good shape and there isn't any significant belly behind the bridge.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Austin,

Thank you for the reply, and I appreciate the warm welcome! I have been reading the forum for a bit over a year now, but have never contributed myself by posting. Hopefully this changes from now on!

Based on the link you provided, it appears that the guitar was constructed between 1985-1989. I appreciate the additional information, as I said, Lowden is a builder that I am largely unfamiliar with. Regardless, with the little I know about the history of Lowden, I can say that is indeed one of the finest acoustic guitars I have played, and extremely different than my go-to Martin HD-28.

I will keep you posted on my decision! I plan to return to the shop tomorrow to make a final decision on purchasing.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:10 AM

I think the Lowden S10 is the origin of the current Lowden O22......cedar over mahogany large jumbo.

Have a look on Youtube for the King of DADGAD, Pierre Bensusan playing his original 1978 ‘Old Lady’.....cedar over mahogany. Does the S10 look like that?

Edit: here is Pierre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luWveym90uE

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 01-09-2023 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Some history of Lowden Guitars for the OP here

https://lowdenguitars.com/about-us/

And here…

https://lowdenguitars.com/model-history/

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labarnes View Post
Hello,

I recently played a vintage Lowden S-10 in a local guitar shop built in the 1980s, and I absolutely fell in love with the instrument. It’s been well played, and has significant scarring where a pick guard would normally sit. Other small dings and dents are present across the guitar, but it is structurally intact throughout. It was the first Lowden I have ever played, and I thought the tone and response of the guitar was some of the best I have ever experienced.

The guitar is fitted with an old Fishman pickup, and is currently listed at $2000. I understand that newer Lowdens go for significantly higher prices, but to me, $2000 even seemed a bit high considering the age along with the wear and tear on the instrument. It’s a cedar top and mahogany back/sides, and I believe it’s an ebony fretboard.

Was hoping to get some feedback on others experience with Lowden guitars, and some advice on fair value of an instrument in this condition. Thanks in advance!

-Luke
It's a bit high for that guitar but it is a 40 year old Lowden. You are paying for the age. If you don't buy it soon, it will be bought because there are so few of that aged intact Lowden on the used market. I think the price is about right.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-10-2023, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Thank you everyone for the additional information and feedback, it all ultimately helped me reach my final decision.

So as of last night, I can officially say I am the proud owner of a late 80s Lowden S-10, serial number 88. I made a cash deal with the shop owner that afforded me a small discount of about $100, so I effectively paid $1900. The guitar was also fitted with a Fishman pickup that sounds incredible. Included in the original owner’s case was a capo and tuner as well.

I couldn’t be happier with the guitar and I feel I was able to get a fair deal that would’ve disappeared quickly had I not jumped on it. Now I just need to ensure that I keep it properly humidified in the dry upstate NY winter!

Would love to continue to hear other opinions from Lowden owners past and present.

-Luke A. Barnes
Old 01-10-2023, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Luke -

I was just about to inquire if you'd gone for it and in the time it took me to open the thread, there's your update! Well done!

Once you get the chance, you should snap a pic or two and then post them over in the Lowden Owner's Thread. I'll look forward to hearing your impressions as you two get acquainted.

Play in great health -

Austin
Old 05-04-2024, 12:44 PM

Default Lowden S10P 1989

Hi
Its my first time on here so I don't know the protocols
I have bought, played and sold a variety of Martin models which I found very enjoyable and instructive.
One day my luthier said to me have you ever played a Collings. He had one in his workshop so I gave it a look over and thought wow! He then said if I should ever get the opportunity to play a Lowden I should do so as they are fabulous guitars.
Very recently the opportunity arose and I ended up (after playing it first) buying a 1989 S10P which had been gigged, loved and well looked after although the scarring around the sounhole obviously could not have
been avoided.
But to me the bling on an instrument is irrelevant as is wear and tear from playing so I was amazed and delighted with the sound and sustain that this instrument produced. It is now my goto which has disappointed my D-18.
I am now curious to know how the modern Lowdens compare to this vintage and would welcome any comments
Cheers
John
Old 05-04-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gage View Post
.... I am now curious to know how the modern Lowdens compare to this vintage and would welcome any comments
Cheers John
Like most builders that have been around for decades, Lowden has improved everything that was already great about Lowden guitars. I've been playing Lowdens for many years and think their latest builds are their best ever. The Japanese builds are NOT Lowden builds. If you look at the authentic history (lots of lore out there), Lowden went through a couple of.... interruptions between George actually owning the factory again. Folks from Lowden work at Lowden, McIlroy, Avalon - hence the similarities between the 3. Lowden builds are my favorites.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 05-04-2024 at 04:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion