The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 01:18 PM

Default OMC recommendations?

I have a Martin OMCPA4, which I'm quite happy with. However the resonance and overall sound is maybe a 7 out of 10. My '70's vintage MIJ Conn actually sounds better. I'm thinking of getting a bit of an upgrade sound wise and am looking for suggestions. I definitely want an OMC or 000 14 fret cutaway with a 1 3/4 nut. Prefer USA, Canada,Europe or Japan made. Would a Martin OMC-18e or 28E kick it up a bit? I was also considering a Larrivee OMV-03 or OMV-40, Taylor 312ce, or Furch? I did try a Yairi WY-1, very nice, but the nut was quite narrow, not my thing. Thoughts?
Old 04-18-2024, 03:33 PM

You may want to consider looking at Eastman E8OM or E6Om. I can't comment on how they will sound compared to the other guitars on your short list. But comparing specs, they seem to be very similar.

The other Eastman models to consider are the ACx22's (their version of a Grand Auditorium).

IMHO, Eastman's are quality guitars and should (at least) be kept on your radar to evaluate. And you may disregard, because their workshop is in China. Totally fine. We're here to support each other and offer "free" advise.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-18-2024, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Do you mostly play plugged in, since you're starting with and suggesting models that have built-in electronics? I mean, are you wanting a better *acoustic* guitar, or one that sounds better plugged in? And, budget?

If it's your plugged in sound you want to improve (i.e., the 80 of the 80/20 rule is "plugged in"), then try guitars with electronics and pick one that sounds best plugged in. Otherwise, get an acoustic, and put a pickup and preamp in your budget. Buying an acoustic and then chasing a plugged in sound, when that's what you're really after, is not a fast way to happiness, IMO. (That's why the "amplification" sub-forum is the 2nd busiest here, if I had to guess.)
Old 04-18-2024, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

An OM-28 standard or especially Modern Deluxe will massively kick it up. Look at the OM-21 as well.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Do you mostly play plugged in, since you're starting with and suggesting models that have built-in electronics? I mean, are you wanting a better *acoustic* guitar, or one that sounds better plugged in? And, budget?

If it's your plugged in sound you want to improve (i.e., the 80 of the 80/20 rule is "plugged in"), then try guitars with electronics and pick one that sounds best plugged in. Otherwise, get an acoustic, and put a pickup and preamp in your budget. Buying an acoustic and then chasing a plugged in sound, when that's what you're really after, is not a fast way to happiness, IMO. (That's why the "amplification" sub-forum is the 2nd busiest here, if I had to guess.)
Good question - i'm primarily concerned with pure acoustic quality. As for budget - under $2000, new or used.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'd say if you want to expand your "palette" then you need to try a rosewood guitar, but if the cutaway is a must along with the OM size, you'll be in a limited market at that price range. Taylor comes to mind, and they [nearly] all come with electronics. Maybe a used 512ce - Guitar Center has a bunch close to your price range. Or the 322ce if you want to try something that's got a mahogany top - another direction in tone. (You have to read the details as many of the **2 Taylors have 12-fret neck join and slotted peg heads, which might sound good and look cool, but they can be a limitation on the outgoing side later.)

And, if you don't require a cutaway, well, there's a lot more options, though domestic rosewood guitars, like an OM-28 in that price range would be pretty hard to find, at least one that didn't need *something*, I'd venture.

With used guitars, you need to have access to a good tech that can evaluate something in whatever the return period is because it's no bargain if it needs hundreds of dollars in work, but, conversely, if it doesn't, you can save a lot over new.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

You can find used Breedlove Concert cutaways in the Oregon or Premier series from the USA production pretty easily under 2k and they meet all of your requirements.

When I played back to back with Martin OMC18e and a Taylor 524 limited the Breedlove was the winner.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:05 PM

Used Martin OMC AURA style 40. Try it.

https://reverb.com/item/9717771-martin-omc-aura

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion