The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Boucher Torrified Maple

Anyone had their hands on one of the newer Boucher torrified adi, torrified maple Grand Reserve guitars? They sound really great on Youtube demos. You can only tell so much from that of course. I wonder if Boucher will be torrifying other back and side tonewoods. Geez though, the price is getting steep on some of their efforts lately....
Old 02-01-2024, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Anyone had their hands on one of the newer Boucher torrified adi, torrified maple Grand Reserve guitars? They sound really great on Youtube demos. You can only tell so much from that of course. I wonder if Boucher will be torrifying other back and side tonewoods. Geez though, the price is getting steep on some of their efforts lately....
Yep...the prices have increased...like so many other things? I also listened to a JP Cromier YT video of the Grand Reserve Dread. It was quite impressive. JP is the reason I bought my first Boucher. The second one was totally on the shoulders of Robin Boucher! Great guitars and the Vintage Reserve models (although pricey) must be spectacular instruments.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-01-2024, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yep...the prices have increased...like so many other things? I also listened to a JP Cromier YT video of the Grand Reserve Dread. It was quite impressive. JP is the reason I bought my first Boucher. The second one was totally on the shoulders of Robin Boucher! Great guitars and the Vintage Reserve models (although pricey) must be spectacular instruments.
I can see myself getting a used one. Cannot justify the new price, no matter how great. I watched a couple of Roger Schmidt's demos from Brickhouse and he seemed genuinely knocked out from the sound as a real player and music maker.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can see myself getting a used one. Cannot justify the new price, no matter how great. I watched a couple of Roger Schmidt's demos from Brickhouse and he seemed genuinely knocked out from the sound as a real player and music maker.
Bought my SG-21 from Brickhouse after watching Roger's video of it on their website. He's a fine player. And he is very excited about the GR series as he has a right to be. Interesting watching the difference between Roger Schmidt (primarily a fingerstyle player) and JP CRomier who uses a flat pick and a thumb pick. Nice to get two different playing styles but that GR Dread sounds great in both their hands. Like you I can't justify the new price either. Even the price used (if someone is crazy enough to sell their's?) will probably be tough to swallow?

Last edited by llew; 02-01-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:18 PM

Yes the new reserves are nice.You would not go wrong with a non reserve guitar as they amazing.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:22 AM

Boucher guitars are probably the best bang for your buck boutique acoustic. I'm biased as I own 2, but it's because they are simply THAT good!

Yes their prices have increased, for example I bought my BG-151 for 6,200 CAD plus tax in May 2023, 6 months later, this model now sells for 7,600 CAD plus tax, due to the increased prices and rarity of Madagascar Rosewood.

They are stellar guitars.
1980 Yamaha SJ-180
Old 02-02-2024, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I had the chance top pick up a SG-52 new from a Canadian shop for 3650 CD a while back and I didn't move quick enough on it. Stupid of me as that was a phenomenal deal?!?

Old 02-02-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I had the chance top pick up a SG-52 new from a Canadian shop for 3650 CD a while back and I didn't move quick enough on it. Stupid of me as that was a phenomenal deal?!?
I've had that happen, it sucks. I just think that when something is meant to be it'll be.
1980 Yamaha SJ-180
Old 02-02-2024, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCGM View Post
I've had that happen, it sucks. I just think that when something is meant to be it'll be.
Yep...I agree!

Old 02-02-2024, 08:47 AM

I can't imagining anybody selling a Boucher after they had bought one, unless they fell into financial distress. Every single one I have come across has been unbelievable, and they are kind of for me what I wish Martin was. I have not seen any of the Grand Reserves yet, but I am sure they are glorious. Robin and his people just keep getting better and better, which is incredible. Shout out to Roget Schmidt and J.P. Cormier, two great players and fans of awesome guitars.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if other tonewoods will be torrified, or does maple have material properties making it more effective for the process.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
I'm also waiting to hear from someone who's played one...My Boucher is just unreal playing and sounding...a rosewood lovers dream I don't think I could ever depart with. I'm re-amazed every time I pick it up. But I love the less complex more fundamental tone of a good maple guitar and the torrified maple Grand Reserve's sound great on the internet clips...really piano-like. I might have to keep it under my bed because there's no more room in my closet for another guitar, but I can tell you I'm Jonsen for a Grand Reserve HG-166 or an SG-161.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 02-05-2024, 10:17 AM

I, too, am waiting for my local Boucher dealer to get one of the Grand Reserves. If it is anything like my Private Stock (flamed maple) OM, I just might have to buy one. There is nothing like actually playing a Boucher. They really are phenomenal, IMHO.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:22 AM

Y'all have to stop all this gushing language about Boucher. I'm a happily married man and I want to stay that way. Y'all are giving me gas pains pretty severely.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:16 PM

Default Torrified Maple

Yes, Bouchers are absolutely that good. They are spectacular guitars. I had the chance to play the GR-SG-162-T that is currently at Music Gagne in Quebec and it was really unique. Roger Schmidt describes the in-person sound of the torrified side/backs in his videos, from the player's perspective it's really impressive how the sound comes out of the sides and back, more than a non-torrified guitar.
I've found that guitars tend to sound similar on videos (it's harder to apprecite the nuances of the sound), but in person Bouchers are so dynamic, especially compared with other boutique guitars. If you have the chance to compare them in person, they are game-changing. It's surprising how much sound the Bouchers produce, and how good they sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion