The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-29-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
SEs are Asian, so they're cheap. It's not a U.S. guitar, but it should be fine.
Asian cultures have been making guitars for thousands of years. American's for hundred's. Do you think Asian luthiers have learned something in all that time?
Old 03-29-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Asian cultures have been making guitars for thousands of years. American's for hundred's. Do you think Asian luthiers have learned something in all that time?
Apples and oranges. The guitars he's talking about aren't hand-crafted one at a time by a single luthier. They are factory made and assembled in Asia to hit a low price point because Asian factory labor is much cheaper than USA factory labor. I don't think anybody is claiming that American luthiers are better or more talented. We're talking factory workers and wage rates.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Apples and oranges. The guitars he's talking about aren't hand-crafted one at a time by a single luthier. They are factory made and assembled in Asia to hit a low price point because Asian factory labor is much cheaper than USA factory labor. I don't think anybody is claiming that American luthiers are better or more talented. We're talking factory workers and wage rates.
This is of course true but opens a duality of topics. I own a Japanese acoustic guitar that was crafted by a singular luthier. I'd be comfortable in saying it's a level of precision blended with a palpable soul that is better (for me) than anything (boutique or not) on the planet. That discussion however for another day and thread.

The focal point of the responses here on this topic is the proffered phrase "SEs are Asian, so they're cheap. It's not a U.S. guitar, but it should be fine" which brings up a different topic altogether. First and foremost the idea of that post is (and specific to the PRS guitars in discussion) somewhat silly and wholly uninformed at best. However, and from a more interesting perspective, it certainly does raise the question(s) as to what exactly is going on that allows Asian Factory workers to produce such a high-quality instrument at such a crazy cost of entry.

The questions that come to my mind are 1) Are the factory, and factory workers overseen by PRS reps from the States? 2) If so how much are they involved in the ultimate QC outcome? 3) Or, in the alternative are the CNC (I use that term lightly and whatever current description of the automation process is appropriate) nature of our current world just so good as to allow for such great products at such reasonable prices?

In the end, however, the SEs and the Specials are amazing instruments that are undeniably inexpensive but by any measuring stick, not cheap.

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 03-29-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:04 PM

Interesting. They say that the body has a satin finish, but the neck is "semi gloss". Just as my Yam FS5 is. It is poly gloss finished and sanded with fine grit afterwards. If it's anything like my FS5, it will feel gorgeous. I can't stand the usual "satin finished" necks in that price range.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:38 PM

I just purchased an DGT SE gold top and it is so easy to play and top quality. Perfect guitar. I also bought a Bonnie Pink SE Custom 24 that I bought at a 170 dollar discount. Fit and finish is also impeccable as is playability. I’m going to put locking tuners on it and put a 57 08 core in the neck and a core Tremonti in the bridge. It will be my pink metal hard rock monster.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:45 PM

Slightly off topic, but PRS recently announced the release of an improved line of American-made S2 guitars -- the Standard 24, Standard 22, and McCarty 594. The big improvement is that they sport the US-made 58/15 LT pickups rather than the Indonesian "S" version in the previous models. The satin finish on the Standard is very nice, but there's also a nitro-gloss version. If you desire a US-made PRS, one of these might be your baby. I've got one in my Sweetwater Wish List.

Last edited by AX17609; 04-04-2024 at 02:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars