The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Sure we all have limited time, but you can't play every waking moment. If after you've played what you feel will move you forward, go ahead with whatever recreational time waster you choose.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-02-2024, 04:02 PM

I think 'Deliberate1' hit upon an important meme: 'functional art'. I don't know of, or know, any folks who get rhapsodic over their clarinets, for example. I think that observation has some very long legs.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think 'Deliberate1' hit upon an important meme: 'functional art'. I don't know of, or know, any folks who get rhapsodic over their clarinets, for example. I think that observation has some very long legs.
Deliberate1 here. Your endorsement of my comment is most kind, but, respectfully, a tad off the mark. To be sure, "Rhapsodic In Blue" makes us clarinetists positively swoon.
The clarinet is also known, even by those of us who love it, as the "misery stick." I have never heard anyone defame a guitar like that.

David
Old 04-02-2024, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Sure we all have limited time, but you can't play every waking moment. If after you've played what you feel will move you forward, go ahead with whatever recreational time waster you choose.
How about coming up here to Canada for some spring fishing. mmm fresh Walleye.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:00 PM

Something to consider from Claude:

Yes, there are unique and individual characteristics among clarinets, similar to acoustic guitars.

Some key points about uniqueness in clarinets:

- Wood type - Clarinets are typically made from grenadilla (African blackwood), but other woods like maple, ebonite, and even plastic can be used. The wood choice affects the clarinet's tone and response.

- Manufacturing quality - The precision of the clarinet's bore, keys, and pad fit can vary between individual instruments, even from the same maker. This impacts the clarinet's intonation, ease of play, and overall sound.

- Key work - The quality and adjustments of the clarinet keys, mechanism, and springs can be unique to each instrument. This affects the clarinet's response and feel.

- Mouthpiece - The mouthpiece is a critical component that can vary widely between individual clarinets. The facing, tip, and other properties of the mouthpiece greatly influence the player's tone and articulation.

- Player customization - Many professional clarinetists will have their clarinets customized or adjusted over time to suit their playing style and preferences.

So while clarinets have more standardization than acoustic guitars, there is still a range of unique characteristics that make each individual clarinet have its own distinct sound and playing feel, similar to the variations found in fine acoustic guitars. The player's skill and preferences also shape the clarinet's personality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion