The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor GS Mini with torrefied tops

Looks like Taylor is offering torrefied spruce tops on their newest spruce GS Minis.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with these and if they have any noticeable effect on the sound.

In addition, wondering if this might help with stability and humidification worries -- which would make it an even more durable guitar to leave out and around the house.

Last edited by Luckymud; 04-15-2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:30 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymud View Post
Looks like Taylor is offering torrified spruce tops on their newest spruce GS Minis.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with these and if they have any noticeable effect on the sound.

In addition, wondering if this might help with stability and humidification worries -- which would make it an even more durable guitar to leave out and around the house.
I recently purchased one of those from my local shop. Compared to my experience with previous GS Minis, the torrefaction certainly reduces some of the brashness of the guitar.

As far as humidity, it can get muggy in my area at times so I always keep my guitars in a case with a Humidipak regardless.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I recently purchased one of those from my local shop. Compared to my experience with previous GS Minis, the torrefaction certainly reduces some of the brashness of the guitar.

As far as humidity, it can get muggy in my area at times so I always keep my guitars in a case with a Humidipak regardless.
Thanks that's helpful and definitely something I want to hear. I miss my mini, and am thinking about getting this super basic no electronics, spruce top model.

I've seen some with different, seemingly lower quality gig bag --not the aero case, and not the normal gig bag, but one with curves that match the GS mini contours more. But they seem like they are less padded.

Which bag did yours come with?
Old 04-14-2024, 04:42 PM
AGF Administrator

The typical GS Mini hard bag that my previous ones came with.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:23 PM

I'm thinking a torrefied-top koa or hog GS Mini-e with a set of monels could be a serious Depression-era blues machine, or even a good all-arounder for an advanced younger/smaller student...
Old 04-14-2024, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
The typical GS Mini hard bag that my previous ones came with.
Great — thank you!
Old 04-14-2024, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn’t necessarily suggest that you do as I do, and your results may vary, etc., but for the last several years I have used my GS e-Mini Koa + as a “sacrificial” guitar that sits out all winter, in a room in which the RH is regularly in the 30% range and sometimes dips into the 20% range. It has held up fine without any adverse changes (no cracks, no change in action, etc.). The guitar is very robust even without a torrefied top. I’d love to hear one of these anniversary models.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily suggest that you do as I do, and your results may vary, etc., but for the last several years I have used my GS e-Mini Koa + as a “sacrificial” guitar that sits out all winter, in a room in which the RH is regularly in the 30% range and sometimes dips into the 20% range. It has held up fine without any adverse changes (no cracks, no change in action, etc.). The guitar is very robust even without a torrefied top. I’d love to hear one of these anniversary models.
Thanks -- yeah, that's my plan for this guitar. I miss having one out on a stand that I can just pick up any time I have two minutes.

I stupidly sold my GS Mini about 5 years ago, when I had an at-the-time toddler, and no guitar was safe being out in the open. Not sure why I didn't realize that those days would eventually end...
Old 04-22-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

So I went ahead and picked one of the Sapele/Torrefied Spruce GS Minis up.

Can confirm -- the torrified top definitely tames some of the brightness. I always thought my Rosewood/Spruce mini felt grating and strident. This definitely seems warmer and more balanced.

Also, why is this thing so loud? Wow, I don't remember my other Mini being this loud.

Excited to have a knock around, always-leave-out guitar that I don't feel like I need to baby again.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! GS Minis are fun little guitars.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'm thinking a torrefied-top koa or hog GS Mini-e with a set of monels could be a serious Depression-era blues machine, or even a good all-arounder for an advanced younger/smaller student...
FWIW Steve is right on about the Martin Monel strings on the GS Mini. I have a spruce and walnut mini and the Martin Retro are my favorite strings in that guitar. Tames the brash highs but not too much, just smoothes thing out and they last forever.

Congratulations on your new torrefied model. I didn't even know Taylor had brought them out, very cool
Old 04-23-2024, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Congrats! GS Minis are fun little guitars.
Yes, I forgot how much FUN these really are!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion