The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Default Overnight Shipping Price Estimate For Accoustic Guitar

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to ship an acoustic guitar overnight through FedEx or UPS? I'ts roughly 700 miles going from Cincinnati, Oh to Columbus, Ga.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Humanist

I'll go out on a limb:

Depending on the size of the box, anywhere from $175 to $250...as an estimate.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I'll go out on a limb:

Depending on the size of the box, anywhere from $175 to $250...as an estimate.
I'll go on that limb with Larry.

You do know you can go on either shippers site with the weight and dimensions and get the quote directly, don't you? You can also estimate the cost of insurance. Make sure you measure correctly. They won't round dimensions down at the shipper!
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 AM

Be very careful that you have measured dimensions and weight accurately. I recently sold a guitar on ebay--a backpacker, which certainly weighed very little, but due to the dimensions of the package rather than the weight, UPS charged $40, and this was for standard shipping. I had already quoted the buyer a lower amount, which of course I had to adhere to. With overnight shipping, you could really get burned. Good luck!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut
Old 07-26-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
I'll go on that limb with Larry.

You do know you can go on either shippers site with the weight and dimensions and get the quote directly, don't you? You can also estimate the cost of insurance. Make sure you measure correctly. They won't round dimensions down at the shipper!
That's the problem, I don't have the shipping carton and don't know the dimensions. Here's what's going on. I have someone who is buying an acoustic guitar and wants to pay with a money order (He doesn't have paypal). He want's the guitar shipped overnight and needs to know the shipping total so he can send the money order before he leaves on a ten day vacation on Friday morning. I need to scramble today to get the total amount for overnight shipping.

I'll look up UPS and Fedex and try to figure it out.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 AM

Size of shipping box is critical since they frequently charge on a size/weight scale. Do you know the buyer? This sounds similar to some Craigslist scams ( especially if he is having you ship it to a relative as a gift...). Check with your local guitar shop about getting a box, if you can't get one there you'll probably have to buy one from a shipping store and that could add to the total cost. Good luck.

Last edited by jgmaute; 07-26-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
That's the problem, I don't have the shipping carton and don't know the dimensions. Here's what's going on. I have someone who is buying an acoustic guitar and wants to pay with a money order (He doesn't have paypal). He want's the guitar shipped overnight and needs to know the shipping total so he can send the money order before he leaves on a ten day vacation on Friday morning. I need to scramble today to get the total amount for overnight shipping.

Unless I knew him personally I'd be very wary of this exchange. In my mind it has scam written all over it.

He doesn't have paypal, he is leaving and needs the guitar now, he wants to have the guitar before you get the money order, etc. Before I'd pay that kind of money for a guitar to take to a temporary location I'd wait until I got back. Money orders aren't safe anymore.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 AM

Most of my guitar shipping boxes run 40-48" by 18-20" by 9".
Those dimensions will put FedEx or UPS shipping cost into a "size" bracket that will accept the weight of the guitar & box. I think the dims added together can't be over 108" or it will go to another price point.
This should give you some info to calculate on the "cost to ship" on either site.
UPS insurance only goes to $999 where-as FEx will be able to insure at higher amt.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiller1952 View Post
Unless I knew him personally I'd be very wary of this exchange. In my mind it has scam written all over it.

He doesn't have paypal, he is leaving and needs the guitar now, he wants to have the guitar before you get the money order, etc. Before I'd pay that kind of money for a guitar to take to a temporary location I'd wait until I got back. Money orders aren't safe anymore.
I'm a trusting soul, but I agree with Tom. This sure sounds like a scam. I would NOT ship the guitar until you have your money, if you lose the sale because of that, well, better to still have your guitar. If the buyer becomes cranky, simply ask him/her where they can order ANYTHING and receive it before THEY have payed in full?

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I agree with other's who have posted you should be cautious in this deal.

Going back to your original question about overnight shipping charges, they have gotten really high. I recently shipped a guitar from the midwest to the west coast, via FedEx. With insurance ($5000) it cost over $200 for 3 day (it happened to get there in 2), and that was a discounted price because I set up an account with them. I believe the websites may quote $300-$350 for overnight.

UPS stores sell a guitar shipping box (somewhere under $20). It's a really good box, but it is bigger than many guitar shipping boxes; it is over the 108" limit that USPS imposes (but UPS/FedEx will ship it but they add more for the size). What you need really depends on the size of your case and how much internal padding you want.

If you can live with 2 day shipping, and stay within the 108" box limit, USPS seems to have the best price.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 07-26-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM

It's going to be well over $200 - probably close to $300. If I were you I'd find a Taylor/Martin box (anything 108" or under) and use USPS Express. It will run about $90 to $120 with full insurance, and it's usually overnight. Keep in mind if you use a box bigger than 108", it will be astronomically more expensive for USPS.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that deal, but you'll want him to use USPS money orders. They can check them for fakes at the post office and give you cash immediately.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I think it is around $350.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

If the money order is bogus, and you don't find that out until after you ship the guitar, you will be out even more money for the overnight shipping. To be safe, you would need to receive a USPS money order in time to verify it, before packing and shipping the guitar. If anything goes wrong, how will you reach him on his 10 day vacation? This sounds like a clever variation on a classic scam, where you are sent a phony cashiers check that your bank will cash, only to have it returned as false a week later.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiller1952 View Post

that was my feeling exactly beware money no object, if you don't plan on paying with real money.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion