The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Default A New Parlor guitar is in the house

I've never had much interest in parlor guitars as I like my guitars bigger, not smaller. But I had been thinking a lot about getting a Baby Taylor or something just to have a small guitar that I could toss in the back of the car and I could play while sitting in the back seat or some other cramped quarters. I don't mind the burden of bringing a larger guitar on trips, but sometimes, something small is just more convenient.

I have played Baby Taylors a number of times but eventually decided it was just too small and I didn't feel good about its quality construction and long-term reliability. I knew I could never be happy with the sound of a small guitar, but still wanted one anyway. It was just a matter of finding something acceptable in sound and appearance.

I came across these pretty cool Washburn 125th anniversary parlor guitars and it seemed to fit the criteria. I never played one, but decided to buy it anyway because I thought it was a neat idea for an old guitar maker like Washburn (who makes some decent inexpensive guitars).

This one had an aged spruce top and koa back and sides. It has been distressed in appearance so that it looks old. The detailing is very interesting with nice purfling and fretboard inlays. The sound of it is actually pretty nice. It has a pretty deep sound although not I'll probably be very happy with it for its purpose.

Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 AM
happiness

Congratulations! I like the look of those Washburns, and the wood looks lovely.

But then I am a self-confessed parlour fan

Fliss
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
Very cool looking guitar! I have been intreguied with parlors lately too. My Taylor is only slightly larger but parlors just have such a cool vintage look to them.

How is the neck on the Washburn?
I forgot to mention the neck. I will have to take a picture of it because it is a VERY sharp V-neck. It's pretty cool and seems pretty comfortable. A different feel for sure.

I just thought that if I was going to get a small guitar, it should be something really unique but still inexpensive.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Pictures of the V-Neck

Here are some pic's of the v-neck. It's REALLY sharp, but not uncomfortable.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
There is none like you.

Very sweet indeed
Old 09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

very cool guitar indeed! how does it sound?

some of them old gibsons too have really sharp Vs. sometimes i think someone just sawed off a square let of a table and sawed that diagonally and called it a neck
Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 AM

oooh that is a purty one mac! What's the nut size?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:57 PM

Congrats on the guitar which I think is very cool looking. I played a couple at a store earlier this year and was impressed....
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Wow, that's a great looking guitar! I like the distressed look to it, the wood on the back looks pretty nice, I think.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfawlty View Post
...just to have a small guitar that I could toss in the back of the car and I could play while sitting in the back seat or some other cramped quarters.
I can't help but think of the scene in "Airplane" where the stewardess plays the guitar in the cramped quarters of the cabin, and keeps knocking out the little girl's IV tubes...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM

...AND....cue the GAS. Thanks a lot macfawlty.

From my limited internet searching so far, it's a difficult guitar to track down.

http://www.facebook.com/tylerhansenmusic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hansentj
Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 PM

To answer a couple of questions, the guitar sounds quite good for a small guitar, better than my expectation. It wouldn't be fair to compare it to the high-end parlors many on the AGF are always jonesing for.

The sound is deep and pretty loud, but not as warm as a hog dread, of course. The nut width is 1-7/8", so it feels like a full size neck albeit shorter. That makes it feel like you're playing a full size guitar. I've taken to the guitar quite easily. The V-neck does feel different. It's sort of blocky, but for some reason it's quite comfortable.

From what I understand, it is built to be a replication of their 1890's parlors and they only make between 125 and 250 of each of them. I think there are a few different models with different wood types that have been released so far. They aren't that hard to find on eBay and miscellaneous small guitar shops that may have ordered one or two. Guitar Center in my area doesn't carry Washburn.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 AM

congrats on your new parlor. I have had a Washburn R305S parlor for several years now and still love it! It is the reason I hardly ever play a dread any more. Hope you enjoy your parlor as much as I do mine!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion