The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Default Best Guitar for the Money

Who do you think builds the best all around acoustic electric guitars for the entry level market, when it comes to tone woods, nut and saddle materials, tuning keys, neck, fit & finish etc? I would think the list would include

Seagull
Simon & Patrick
Boulder Creek
Breedlove
Yamaha
Takamine
maybe Guild or Ovation?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Taylor 110's are pretty amazing. I sold mine to a student because I picked up a nice used 314ce with a custom ordered Mahogany top. Try as I might- I couldn't find one flaw on that guitar. I loved playing it unplugged- but struggled a tad with the ES-T pick-up. It was good for smaller gigs but I couldn't dial it in for our larger gigs...

I played a Martin 000X1CE that I liked a lot too. Some of the newer lower end Breedloves with the square headstocks are pretty nice for the price.

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 AM

I can't say for fear of sounding like a Shill, bloomin' internet!

I will say all levels of Yamaha are very well thought through, from design to build quality, and you're pretty hard to beat them for the money.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 04-21-2011, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post

I will say all levels of Yamaha are very well thought through, from design to build quality, and you're pretty hard to beat them for the money.
I agree and would call Takamine a very close second...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-21-2011, 05:25 AM

Yeah, I played a 114 yesterday that was fantastic, and I dont even like Taylors ...lol !

Yamaha, Seagull and Cort all work well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone eskimo View Post
Taylor 110's are pretty amazing. I sold mine to a student because I picked up a nice used 314ce with a custom ordered Mahogany top. Try as I might- I couldn't find one flaw on that guitar. I loved playing it unplugged- but struggled a tad with the ES-T pick-up. It was good for smaller gigs but I couldn't dial it in for our larger gigs...

I played a Martin 000X1CE that I liked a lot too. Some of the newer lower end Breedloves with the square headstocks are pretty nice for the price.

Mike
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

I'd probably go with the Seagull. The Taylor 110 series has never done anything for me... maybe I just can't find the right one. The Japanese entry-level guitars are a pretty good value. I can even tolerate the Martin laminates as long as the top piece is sitka spruce.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:34 AM

My Taylor is tops, but for pretty small coin you can get an excellent used Takamine, very versatile and great plugged in. I actually use my Tak more than my Taylor when gigging, the Taylor is used more for special items. My Takamine is solid Rosewood/Spruce with a very durable finish and I paid XXX. The same specs on a Taylor will be much much more . . XXXX.
1950s/60s Baritone Ukelele K&K
2020 Fender Limited Edition Jazzmaster Pure Vintage
'65 Pickups, & Series/Parallel 4-Way
Fender Supersonic 22" combo

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 AM

I think my Martin OM-1 was a good buy.

Can you define "entry level market"?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
Who do you think builds the best all around acoustic electric guitars for the entry level market, when it comes to tone woods, nut and saddle materials, tuning keys, neck, fit & finish etc?
Hi Gw…
Harvey Leach.

I think either of the entry level Voyage-Air models (all laminate or solid top) would qualify as the best beginner guitars. Great construction, good action, solid ''light'' build, with the ability to grow with the player and be retained in the ''herd''.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I'd go with Yamaha at the lower end of the entry price spectrum, though I've seen some pretty nice Epiphones lately.

Up one step in price, I'd go along with people who like the 100 series Taylors. (Nothing wrong with the 200 series either) I recently bought a 110 to be sort of my couch guitar, but the tone seems to be something that just strikes me the right way. Between that and my Martin dread, I feel like I have enough of the tonal spectrum covered and it's becoming apparent that I'm not playing other acoustics I have all that much anymore.

IMHO - The 110e, at a slightly higher price, (versus using a soundhole pickup), is one of the best A/E guitars out there right now, better than a lot of higher end models from other brands. Obviously, YMMV...

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM

In terms of a good "entry level" acoustic for your money I really think Yamaha does a great job. I don't know that their sound will floor you (but I'm talking about $400 or less guitars here) but I find them to be consistently good sounding guitars that are made nicely. I've played several and own one. I always find them well put together (they aren't sloppy).

I've tried several Seagulls (laminate and solid back/side models) and didn't find the sound all that appealing (could be the strings though). However, they are generally well made.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I agree and would call Takamine a very close second...
I was recently playing low end guitars at GC. I preferred the EG-series Taks to the Yamahas. The selection was limited so it could have been they just didn't have the right Yamaha. I ended up with a Takamine EG363SC and am very happy with it. It's no Taylor (I absolutely loved the 314CE) but then it cost less than 1/3 the Taylor.

Everyone's ears are different so it's really just not possible to assume you will like what someone else likes. The only way to decide is to play as many as you can and pick the one you like.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 AM

No one such guitar for me to recommend. There are so many good values now. For anyone just starting, I say: Choose one that is easy to play, and then play it!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Blueridge BR-163. I have some $2000 guitars but my Blueridge cost me about $XXX with hardshell case and sounds like a $2000 guitar. Did need some set up work (saddle and nut work) to make it play like a $2000 guitar but it sounded like a $2000 guitar right from the get go.

Last edited by Fliss; 04-21-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: price
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Tone Chaser

Gostwriter,

I have long thought that the Yamaha LL6 really provides a lot of bang for the buck, used models even moreso. In fact, it is the guitar that I recommend to my beginning guitar students.

Cheers!

Jonathan
De la Rosa - Brazilian RW/Swiss Moon Spruce (Coming April 2012)

Maingard
Grand Concert - Brazilian RW/German Spruce (2005)

Tippin
OMT - EIR/European Spruce (2000) (Voicing updated 2006)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion