The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2001, 09:08 AM

Post 614 versus 714

Hi friends,
I am giving serious consideration to trading my 710 in on a Grand Auditorium. I am considering a 614 and 714. What words of wisdom do you have for me to help me make the decision? Are both good instuments for heavy strumming and fingerpicking?

Thanks in advance.
Scott
Old 02-19-2001, 10:04 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Doc,
I have a 612 which I use strictly for fingerpicking. The guitar is extremely bright with superb high end but lacks some low end. I would expect a 614 would have better low end but would still be very bright, which is the nature of maple. The 714 being rosewood should be very balanced without quite so much brightness. The 600 series seem to be very popular as stage guitars because of their ability to cut through and be heard. If you are looking for a guitar for stage use I would lean towards the maple but for home use I would most likely choose the 714. But as is always the case you should play them side by side and get the one that is most pleasing to YOUR ear. You might find that the 714 is better for heavy strumming more than the maple 614.
Have fun!
Bill.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:29 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Lightbulb

For heavy strumming, I'd recommend seriously looking at the 814CE - which is about the same price as the 614CE. The 814CE with it's high-grade rosewood body and spruce top, offers good depth in the low-end, and really sounds great strummed. The 614CE is a great guitar, offering a more balanced string to string response. The cedar top of the 714CE lends a warmth and brightness that is great for fingerstyle, and good for strumming...

But since I've owned all three, I'd say the 814CE is the best suited for strumming.

J.R.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:33 PM

Hi, my question is why? I know change is exiciting,so do what feels good, but I think if you are used to rose wood, maple may be a hard ajustment.IMHO rose wood is the wood others are compared to, it is so rich,but any way I play a 714 and a 410r and I will have to admit the 714 [spruce top] is my fav.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:51 AM

Doc,
If your not stuck on the GA body size you might consider the 615ce for heavy strumming. Talk about POWER! The maple is very bright, yes, but the jumbo body size allows a great balance between the brightness of the maple and the full range richness you need when you're strumming.

I have one and use it primarily for heavy strumming in church, always plugged in. It also sounds fantastic when finger picked.

I agree with guitargirl, Rosewood seems to be what everyone compares everything elso to, but I have been comparing my 615ce to everything else and I gotta tell ya, I'm really getting used to that maple sound.

I recently acquired a 310KLE. The Koa is a nice compromise between the maple and the rosewood. For the money, the 300 series can't be beat! However, if you want a "nicer" guitar, the 600 and 800 series are the way to go. IMHO.

------------------
Later,
Chuck
- Psalm 150

[This message has been edited by ckgdrums (edited 02-20-2001).]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion