The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2001, 06:42 PM

Cool YOU WONT BELEIVE IT!!!

My Wife and I went to the music store today(almost tripped over the red carpet) and had decided to but the last 310K left in the area.(I missed the other one bad). As I played it and found yet another super sounding guitar I then tried a 310kce. Im sorry but the 310KCE just didnt talk to me so I just decided to grab the 310K. Took a beating on the last one and wont make that mistake twice( no offence chuck) but You cant buy a better guitar than a 310K for the money. While at the store I tried out a 514CE that I had tried before but this time I had my wife stand in front of me so some of the sound could come back and get her opinion as well. To make a long story short. I now own a 514CE and have a 310K in layaway. I just ran out of money!!! My wife likes the 514CE so much she insisted I buy it. I got what I considered a good deal on it and its a 2000 model. Cedar top, mahoganey back and sides. tortise shell binding , diamond inlay and of course gold grovers. This thing is pretty nice sounding stright out of the box. Will it sound better or worse will time? Sounds great with the blender system and even sounds good unplugged. Sounds better than any acustic/electric I own unplugged with a EQ type pick-up system. I think I will try this one as my stage guitar. Give me some input on this guitar from other owners and tell me what you think. JW
Old 02-17-2001, 07:20 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

You've discovered cedar. The sound is incredibly clear and warm. My 714CE is my most "played" Taylor guitar, by far. The sound is just.... well... you obviously know now.

Congratulations on another fantastic instrument! I sure hope this forum isn't contributing to your rapidly decreasing cash flow.

J.R.
Old 02-17-2001, 11:42 PM

I enjoyed the 714-BCE I had ... but I just couldn't get used to having a hole hacked into the side ... so I ended up trading it for a Goodall Rosewood GC with a cedar top ... which I traded for a Goodall Ebony Parlour with an Engelmann top ... but I couldn't get the thought of cedar out of my mind ... so now I have a Goodall Koa GC with a cedar top ... and I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 02-18-2001, 12:21 AM

Howdy JW

Wow....... how did you get your wife to get TWO Taylors??? Pretty amazing! I know that when i can get to marry, that's not gonna be an easy thing to do.

Oh well! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

------------------
Blessings
nick
Old 02-18-2001, 02:58 AM

Well, luckily I'm not married to any of you guys ... I have enough trouble keeping my numbers down ... and my husband doesn't even play! Last year I actually got my number down to 11 ... but it's back up to 16 at the moment ...
Old 02-18-2001, 03:18 AM

None taken, James. I appreciate the deal!

My wife is slowly coming around to the idea that one guitar sounds different than another and that they are, in fact, collectors items like you would collect fine jewelry, etc.

With 3 Taylors in the stable now and my eye on a Big Baby for an alternate tuning stage guitar at church, she is a difficult sale, but I'll keep working on her and she'll come around eventually.

Congratulations on the new axe!

I'm with JR though, you should take a break from the forum so you can build up your cash reserves again. Just kidding!

Have fun and knock 'em dead with that new guitar!

------------------
Later,
Chuck
- Psalm 150
Old 02-18-2001, 08:14 AM

Cool

I think the K14C really changed my mind over Cedar. The cedar-koa is the best two tonewoods Ive heard together and makes my K14C a overall winner. But I wouldnt play it onstage. Its just way to nice and no electronics. The cedar in the K14C is a very nice peice of wood. The 514ce is not near the grade but for a guitar with that big blender system in it it sounds super unplugged. I will practice with it several weeks before going on stage for the simple fact the nut is wider than my stage guitars 1 3/4 over 1 11/16. that 1/16 of and inch seems like a lot when your playing aggressive. I do like the blender system because it has so many possible sound adjustments. I still dont like electronics for acustics but it is a necessary evil for stage. The mahogany seems to make the 514ce briter as opposed to the K14C almost to the point you would think it was maple. I think it will make a wonderful stage guitar. My wife really likes it, so much so she insited I buy it. I didnt even have to sell one in this case. I think Im about done buying Taylors for a while. I have a pretty good arsonal of them right now. 310K(home next week)Big baby, 514CE,K14C, 910B and of course the mystrious 355kleespwkw (koa,limited edition,electric, special,who knows what)(My designation) and that covers some pretty good ground. Sorry dont like the 12's. I was rather disappointed at the 310KCE unplugged, but I never plugged it up so I guess its not a fair evaluation. Its not the forum that makes me want the taylors its the great sound. Ive been buying guitars all my life( well since I was old enough to push a lawnmower)Its just Ive found the guitars Ive always looked for but could never find. As close to perfection in acustic as Ive found. BOB!! Build ME a LES PAUL!!!!!. JW
still want a baby-k but im waiting for them o put a koa top on it. Maybe special order? how would it sound?
Old 02-18-2001, 07:50 PM

Oh My!...buddiesorg is a Lady...
Old 02-18-2001, 09:14 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by gmccall:
Oh My!...buddiesorg is a Lady...
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????JW
Old 02-18-2001, 11:25 PM

Well, some might argue with you about that ... but my husband enjoys getting me guitars ... in fact, right now he's already figured out the next THREE guitars I'm going to get ... one's a macassar ebony Goodall ... the other is a Brazilian Rosewood Taylor (unless the Gray Whale comes in first)
Old 02-19-2001, 04:48 AM

Mmmmm brazilian rosewood Taylor. nice! Which model are ya thinking about getting buddies?
Randall
(BTW: I'm too lazy to check, but is buddies.org you're own site?)
Old 02-19-2001, 01:48 PM

Probably a jumbo. I already have a GA and a GC brazilian Taylor.

Yep, my website is http://buddies.org. I haven't updated my guitar pages for awhile ... and I only have 3 of the guitars pictured there now ... I did quite a bit of trading last year.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:14 PM

Wink

Howdy buddie

Hey~ you go to Biola??? The famous Biola University at La Mirada?? Guess what?! I am a freshman there! I'm doing the Christian Ed major there, and planning (hopefully) to go to Talbot after i complete the undergrad~

Wow! What a small world after all!

Hopefully, i'll see you around campus hehehe

------------------
Blessings
nick
Old 02-20-2001, 08:40 PM

Well, I went there ... no longer a student. I got my BA in Liberal Studies/Elementary Education and my MA in Education. I guess that's another thing I haven't updated on my page. <sigh> I haven't had time to update much for quite some time.

I wish you the best ... some of my best friends went to Talbot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion