The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2023, 04:24 PM

Default New strings from Elixir for string test

I’ve done Elixir string test before. Never much difference I thought with the strings. The current strings I got I think are the best I’ve had. The bass has a real thump to it that was first thing I noticed. Second was these strings although light sound like medium strings. There not as bright as what is on my FG5 which are light gauge also. I put the test strings on one of my backups I use for bluegrass a 2016 E20D Eastman. I’m in the first couple days of testing these strings I’m interested to see how they play out over the next month.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:29 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibby View Post
I’ve done Elixir string test before. Never much difference I thought with the strings. The current strings I got I think are the best I’ve had. The bass has a real thump to it that was first thing I noticed. Second was these strings although light sound like medium strings. There not as bright as what is on my FG5 which are light gauge also. I put the test strings on one of my backups I use for bluegrass a 2016 E20D Eastman. I’m in the first couple days of testing these strings I’m interested to see how they play out over the next month.
I got my set yesterday and plan to put them on my 000-28MD this weekend.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:20 PM

I posted a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. There is something different about this set of Elixirs. They do seem to have more bass response but also sound like they have more volume. I've been very impressed with them and when I called Elixir they "implied" this might be a new string that "could" come out if there was enough positive feedback on them. Unfortunately I started the trial period a little late and so when I went to rate them a month later before sending them back they said the trial was over and just to keep the strings. I really do hope they come out with this string because it's a winner IMO.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:34 PM

New strings from Elixir for string test

Didn't know about a test, but what was the gauge used?

And/Or did they do something different with the composition/manufacture of these sets?

I usually prefer Elixir strings for most of my guitars.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 01-25-2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
New strings from Elixir for string test

Didn't know about a test, but what was the gauge used?

And/Or did they do something different with the composition/manufacture of these sets?

I usually prefer Elixir strings for most of my guitars.

Be well and play well,

Don
Light gauge is what the test set is. As I said they sound like mediums more volume. Bigger bass response also I played them 2 hours today and recorded 2 flat picking standard and a bluegrass gospel song. I really liked the mid and high end especially on Salt Creek which has a lot of picking on the high end. Very clear highs and strong mids. More like I get with the mediums I use on my HD28 and the E20D which I use for bluegrass.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

What makes them different?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-26-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Unfortunately they never tell you....

I'm just glad I'm on their trial list. I've probably gotten at least five free sets of strings from Gore over the years. And with my collection, I need all the help (free strings) I can get.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:36 AM

Luckily, I think Elixir Nano lights are already perfection, no need to "improve" them!
Old 01-26-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Elixir did something read my 2 posts above for your question. I play Elixir mediums on my bluegrass dread HD28 these lights sound more like mediums feel like lights. Will they have a new string or tweak what they offer they send out test sets Ive done them once before....I would like to have a couple sets of these.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

I play mainly Elixir nano lights in PB and 80/20. I only check my mailbox once a week, so I should see if my PB set came in. I think Elixir nano lights are perfect too, but these could always set a new level of perfect. I just got some D’Addario XS and those are much better than the old EJ/EXP so it’ll be fun to go one-on-one with those.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Funny... I signed up for the trail but didn't hear anything from them for 2 1/2 weeks. In the past, I'd always either received the strings or gotten an email from Elixir saying they were on the way...

My only 6 string (Goodall Concert Jumbo) had a set of Elixir 80-20 Nanoweb strings on it that were approaching 12 months! They were sorely due for a change, so, when I hadn't heard from Elixir, I went ahead and changed them with a set of phosphor bronze Nanoweb strings. Did the whole deal on the guitar - cleaning, dusting was.polish (Music Nomad is GREAT stuff!), cleaned and oiled the fretboard and polished the frets... the guitar plays and sounds fantastic!

And then I receive an email from Elixir, saying I've been chosen as a participant in the trail and the strings are on their way! Dang it! I wrote them back and told them that I wouldn't be able to do the trial, as I"d just changed the strings on my guitar, I was unwilling to take the new ones off to try their trial set. Even asked if I should send the trial set back to them, unused.

They responded within a day and said to keep the strings and go ahead and use them when I will... said my input was valuable and that I could do the trial whenever I chose to use the strings! Bless their hearts, but I doubt they truly mean for me to do the trial-thing in 6 months!

Of the 6-8 trials I've done for Elixir, there have been a couple of sets that were just remarkable, and I told them so... one set was SO good, that I wrote them, nearly begging them to let me know when I could buy that particular set! Never got a response though.

Good to hear that this new set is so good... hopefully, I got the same "trial set" that's being talked about here!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion