The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Default Yamaha FG-421......anyone?

I'm looking for an inexpensive Yamaha, prefer a solid top. Only problem, there's so many to pick from! Just found this FG421 and unlike the others I have found, I cannot track down much info on this model. According to one source it was made in the mid 90's but nothing about the top being laminated or solid. Any help would be much appreciated! I found an FG461sa that is most certainly a solid top but it is twice as much money. I'm prepared to spend it if I have to but obviously not trying to if it's not needed.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weslacho View Post
I'm looking for an inexpensive Yamaha, prefer a solid top. Only problem, there's so many to pick from! Just found this FG421 and unlike the others I have found, I cannot track down much info on this model. According to one source it was made in the mid 90's but nothing about the top being laminated or solid. Any help would be much appreciated! I found an FG461sa that is most certainly a solid top but it is twice as much money. I'm prepared to spend it if I have to but obviously not trying to if it's not needed.
From what I've found, the 421 is all laminate. Here are specs from Yamaha's site:

Top: Spruce
Back & Sides: Nato
Neck: Nato
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Tuning Machine: Diecast Chrome
Finish: Natural
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 PM

I guess that was the main confusion. It doesn't say solid or laminated spruce for the top. Should I take it to mean that from now on?

Thanks so much for taking the time!

Lacho
Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Ok I found my answer and wanted to share for the next guy. First, the FG421 is not a solid top guitar. I found this chart helpful, I am sure it has been pointed out several times but I haven't seen it and didn't know to look for it. There is a chart on Pg 4. Insanely helpful to me right now. I was looking for info on another one I had found yesterday. I spent about 15 minutes looking for my answers and in that time the guitar was sold. I'll say it again, this chart is insanely helpful to me right now. I made it my desktop.

http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pdf/bro...rs/AG_sogo.pdf

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion