The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-27-2024, 06:16 PM

Default Vintage Gibson J-45 tuner replacement

Hello fellow acoustic guitar fans!

I am looking for ideas as to what to replace the old tuners on my 1955 Gibson J-45. The plastic knobs have bit the dust, so to speak. Crumbling, which I understand does happen. I would prefer to have a direct replacement for the 3-in-a-row tuners, and see that there is a possible contender with the Kluson 3-On-Plate Deluxe Series, as offered by StewMac. The specs state that it would be for a 1956-1964 J-45 though, and mine is a 1955. Any ideas as to if that would drop in for a replacement? I know that there are other versions out there, but they would require drilling a few new screw holes in the head stock. The guitar is in very good condition, otherwise. Thanks in advance!

DT
Old 03-27-2024, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF!

Why don’t you ask the good folks at StewMac? I’ve found them very helpful with similar enquiries in the past.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-27-2024, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Welcome to the AGF!

Why don’t you ask the good folks at StewMac? I’ve found them very helpful with similar enquiries in the past.
Thanks, David...good to be here! I did ask StewMac via email, but did not get a reply back after 3 working days. So...here I am!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:29 PM

I have had good luck with the stewmac golden age restoration tuners. I usually buy the relic version for old ones...and get the cream knobs, not the white.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:02 PM

Replace the buttons. Antique Acoustics are the best ones, available from Elderly.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Replace the buttons. Antique Acoustics are the best ones, available from Elderly.
John, thanks. I didn't see the buttons available at Elderly. I appreciate your help. Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2024, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
I have had good luck with the stewmac golden age restoration tuners. I usually buy the relic version for old ones...and get the cream knobs, not the white.
Hi bnjp! It appears as though the Golden Age tuners available at StewMac are open-back tuners, found on the older Gibson's. Maybe they would still work, but thinking that something like the original closed Kluson's on my 1955 J-45 would be better. Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-28-2024, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinator View Post
John, thanks. I didn't see the buttons available at Elderly. I appreciate your help. Thanks again!
Ha, I found the buttons at Elderly! Dohhh........

https://www.elderly.com/pages/search...ntage%20tuners

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair