The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 04:16 AM

Default Possible Taylor QC Issue?

I like to ask Acoustic guitar players and collectors if this is a common look or issue? "Rippling on the neck (I can see & feel) and a White Line" I've never had this before.
This is my 2nd 314ce LTD 50th Anniv. Builders Edition within a week of each other. This guitar has two areas of concern, am I being overly critical or a perfectionist?? (could you live with this?)
I've also owned 514ce, 714ce, 814ce currently 114ce, also Martin D16, D28, HD28, D45 as well from small builders. Thanks for any help or suggestions...Over all the guitar plays, sounds and looks beautiful, other than the issues.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

You've probably already tried a damp cloth but could there be some residual buffing or polishing compound in the neck-to-body joint interface?
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-22-2024 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:25 AM

I think the white line would bother me a bit, considering it's a builder's edition and all. I don't know if I'd return it or not.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:40 AM

"Over all the guitar plays, sounds and looks beautiful."

This is the most important thing. Unless there's a gap at the neck-body joint, I'd be leaning heavily towards these words. It would not bother me in the least. But it's your money, not mine. As someone suggested above, you might be able to wipe it out.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:55 AM

Thank you guys, I'll try to rub out the "white line" the "Rippling in the wood" was bothering me, because I've never had that with any other Acoustic guitar I've own/owned.

So far "this is a wonderful site"....
Old 04-22-2024, 06:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantraSky View Post
Thank you guys, I'll try to rub out the "white line" the "Rippling in the wood" was bothering me, because I've never had that with any other Acoustic guitar I've own/owned.

So far "this is a wonderful site"....
The rippling typically comes from "machine chatter" as the neck is CNC carved. When the bearings are going on the CNC machine it can cause this. I've felt it on a couple of Taylors.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

+1 on the buffing compound.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The rippling typically comes from "machine chatter" as the neck is CNC carved. When the bearings are going on the CNC machine it can cause this. I've felt it on a couple of Taylors.

Bob
Thank You Bob, I just spoke with Taylor and Customer Service said it's within QC tolerance and there would be no structural problem of any kind, but for myself "I don't like it" Returned....

Mike.

Last edited by MantraSky; 04-22-2024 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:39 PM

I would play it and enjoy it, so long as it does not effect the integrity of the build, or the sound.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Thank You Bob, I just spoke with Taylor and Customer Service said it's within QC tolerance and there would be no structural problem of any kind, but for myself "I don't like it" Returned....

Mike.
Glad to hear you returned it. That sort of thing would bother me as well. If you pay that kind of money for a guitar you should be the one putting the marks in it. I know there are others that wouldn't think twice about it. But if you're here asking questions I get the feeling it would have bothered you down the road as well.

I'm a big fan of Taylor and their customer service so I hope this won't deter you from buying another Taylor.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:22 PM

Default a thought

I am amazed at this thread. Negatively amazed. I can't recall ever before seeing such resolute nitpicking.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Mike.
That neck is within QC tolerances??? Wow...standards have changed and folks keep lining up to defend them for some reason.

Hope you find a good replacement.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:41 PM

Possible Taylor QC Issue?

I like Taylors.

But I find the "ripple" unacceptable.

Maybe the white line is decorative detailing?
Wider whole picture available?

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-24-2024 at 10:49 PM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 04-25-2024, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I am amazed at this thread. Negatively amazed. I can't recall ever before seeing such resolute nitpicking.
LOL, check out any Ovation thread that comes along.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 04-25-2024, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
That neck is within QC tolerances??? Wow...standards have changed and folks keep lining up to defend them for some reason.

Hope you find a good replacement.
Hello, I've owned a Taylor 514ce, 714ce, 814ce and currently 114ce and None of them have these "ISSUES" as the Two 314ce LTD 50th Anniv. Builders Edition I received and returned.

It's not the cost, it's in the detail that I look for! I did consider the 814ce Builders Edition but I can actually See the "Four Piece Top" I know it's rare but I prefer a two-piece. When I spoke with Taylor Customer Support, I was surprised in their response? because in the 30 Acoustic guitars that I've own/owned (also Martin, Adamus and others) I asked them
"If a top had a Black Stripe" running through a Straight-Grain Clean top would they accecpt it?" they said Yes?? CS said if it's part of the natural wood, they'll Pass it. I understand that Taylor have to "Defend" their opinion and standards, "That's fine" just like the Rippling they said it was from the wood "settling" like Quilt Maple or Flame (My Suhr and Anderson guitars you can see in the tops).

And yet I still Love my Taylor guitars!!! I just never seen the Ripples before, it's New to me. It's only "nitpicking" for someone that Just Doesn't Care??? or someone that's never had a beautiful guitar.

I'm more of a Electric guitar player, some of my guitars: Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, PRS, Fender, Ibanez, Warmoth, TK Instruments etc.

My Warmoth builds...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion