The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2024, 02:22 PM

Default Contact mics?

I'm interested in the Schertler DYN P48 and the C-Ducers. There aren't too many demos of these, especially not the C-Ducers. However, I think I've heard enough that I'm interested in trying one (possibly both). I'd mainly want to use them for recording - has anyone used them for this, and if so what sort of processing was required to bring out the best in them?

As for usability, I think the Schertler might win out, as the putty seems to make it easy to install and reposition. I think the adhesive tape required for the C-Ducer would be less convenient, and I'm worried it might damage some finishes. I've also tried emailing and phoning C-Ducer, but not had a reply to my queries, which puts me off a bit. However, it's just one person company (I think I spoke to his wife when I phoned) and I suspect they're past retirement age, so selling and supporting C-Ducers probably isn't their main thing.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:15 PM

I hadn't seen a C-Ducer for many years until quite recently, they seem to be making something of a comeback, or else - tulips again.

On first listening I thought they were awful but I now know at least some of that was my own lack of experience and understanding of the possibilities so I'd quite like to try another, possibly on a fiddle. I don't think they capture the initial transient of a guitar very well but a more sustained note might be a different story.

I have a Schertler Dyn-G that's been sat in a lovely wooden box for at least 5 years now without being used. It's ok but not really the "Gold Standard" for Gypsy Jazz or archtop that some folks would have.

Consider also the AKG c410/411, much more useful format, excellent for finger picking, good mid-range not much bass.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:40 AM

Thanks!

I was aware of the C-Ducers years ago, along with Barcus Berry pickups etc. I've never tried any of them, so it's a bit of a risk.

The only demo I've heard is on the Larrivee forum, and it's from 2010. Someone bought one, and compared it to a Neumann KM184 mic. The first demo they posted sounded bad, but the second one seemed to be a very close match. I think most of the difference between the good and bad examples was to do with positioning, but they also mentioned EQ, although they didn't give any details.

There are a few more demos of the Schertler, but some of those don't sound great. Again, that might be down to positioning and processing, but some examples seem good. Perhaps they pick up a percussive 'thud' if you strike the strings with your nails.

What didn't you like about your DYN-G?

I've also listened to some demos of other instruments, but they're less helpful. I remember thinking that some seemed a bit 'synthetic' or compressed, but I can't remember which pickups they were now!
Old 04-22-2024, 08:15 AM

In case you might be interested in a 3rd option, I'm a big fan of the MSP pickup from 123Sound in Japan. It's a contact mic that uses a strong magnet to hold very tightly to the surface of the instrument. This gives it excellent bass response. It's likely that it will require a fair amount of EQ to get it to sound 'mic-like' but once you get things dialed in I would say it is on par with any of the $500+ dollar contact mics on the market.

I've been using one on my hammered dulcimer for the past 2 years and I've yet to find anything that captures the sound as accurately.

MSP Pickup from 123sound

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 04-22-2024, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

The AKG C411 can be worth a look too. I rarely use mine simply due to form factor and convenience, but it can get a usable live sound from most stringed instruments. As someone who plays a few different instruments I'm keeping it around as a problem solver because of that.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 04-22-2024, 10:50 PM

I put a cheap ($7?) contact mic on the back of my autoharp and created a wave map for my ToneDexter. It sounds pretty good. I haven't tried it on a guitar, however.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-23-2024, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
I'm a big fan of the MSP pickup from 123Sound in Japan.
A Magnetic Sandwich Pickup? I can sense the attraction...

It's an interesting option. I couldn't see many demos on acoustic guitar, and the two or three I watched didn't sound particularly good. I wonder if having a fairly hefty (I imagine) object clamping both sides of the soundboard might reduce the vibration of the top. I;m also thinking it might be slightly fiddly to install, as I'd probably have to use the magnet positioner wire. I'm still interested in it, and may give it a try. I'm just trying to weigh up my options - I'm also including the AKG C411 which I haven't yet looked into.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification