The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-01-2024, 09:11 AM

Default Newbie to custom shop forum: Martin Custom Shop

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this (i'm a newbie as far as custom shop inquiries are concerned): if i am interested in a Martin Custom build, is there a list/directory of experienced custom shop builders by geographical location? the list on the Martin websites don't seem particularly well curated and I would like to go with a shop with more experience in making these builds. How am I supposed to discern between these dealers that offer custom shop or is their quality pretty much similar to each other? Thank you for your advice.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:12 PM

https://www.martinguitar.com/about-m...m-experts.html

My understanding is that there are different customshop dealers and for your case, I would recommend custom shop EXPERTA, link above.

As martin factory is in PA, I would recommend a CS Expert nearby, who can go to martin factory to pick up the materials for you, this is very important.
Also experts dealers have more options when customize your guitar.

GL with martin cs.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:59 PM

I would call the shops and ask to speak to the custom shop order manager and ask the questions. Not sure the geography means that much. Also, check out dealer who already ordered customs that might meed your need and are in their inventory, like Gruhns, Eddie's, MusicVilla, and our forum sponsors like Maury.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Do a google search on " Martin Custom Shop and Acoustic Guitar Forum 2024" and you will find good info. I put the year in just to narrow things down and to get current references.

All said, and I know this is not what you are asking, but given wait times and cost (recent threads on the subject), if it was me (which it is not ) thinking about a Martin custom build, I would also be investigating some of the smaller shops/single builders who make Martin-esque instruments. There are quite a few and many are very, very good. Obviously, if it's the Martin name you want, then Martin is the place to go!!
Old 05-01-2024, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

As noted, there are two tiers of Custom Shop dealers—regular and “Custom Shop Expert.” The regular Custom Shop dealers can order custom guitars, but if you want any Authentic features, you need to work with a Custom Shop Expert dealer. The CSE dealers are listed on Martin’s website:

Martin Custom Shop Expert Dealers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop