The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 AM

Default Feeling dumb with my average ears

I've noticed that a lot of things that people really hear I just don't, and at times it makes me feel I'm missing out on a party somehow.

I've spent a fair amount of mone...er...time researching this, and I don't hear a difference in these things.

1. Plastic, rosewood, bone, ebony bridge pins. I can swap them all, and I have a big baggie. My ears don't hear a thing.

2. Bone versus Tusq saddles. Nope.

3. P/B versus 80/20s. They both sound "jangly" for a couple days when I put them on, and 80/20s. seem to die quicker. But I can't really tell a difference.

4. Cutaway versus non-cutaway dreads. The former is supposed to be missing something that I don't hear.

There are some things that holler difference to me still, and for these I'm glad.
1. Different woods. Mahogany versus Rosewood. Love 'em both, but rosewood seems bigger to me. I've played a few of the exotic woods, but the big break is mahogany/RW to my ears.

2. Guitar sizes. An 00 versus a dread, I can sure hear. An OM versus an 00, not so much.

Am I alone here? I follow these discussions here on AGF and have great respect for the wonderful palette of opinions and preferences. I just really wish I could hear more. Age, I suppose.

Richard
Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 AM

I am right there with you on this.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 AM

Nope, you ain't alone. I'm with ya on about 95% of what you list. Pins, especially. Brass, bone, plastic, ebony... you name it, they all sound the same. I *DO* like the different looks, though. Saddles... same thing. Woods... well, maybe. You're right, with me it's probably an age thing.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:53 AM

You're hearing the important stuff.

But, depending on your age and relative exposure to loud sounds over your life (music, guns, airplanes, jackhammers, etc.) you might have lost some high frequency hearing, which will affect some of those finer distinctions.

In fact, that is my theory on the growing popularity of mahogany relative to rosewood. Old guitar players naturally tend to lose some of that frequency hearing due to age; many older guitar players who've played all their lives have also played or listened to a lot of loud music (either as gigging musicians or at concerts or both) over the decades; many younger guitar players spend their days plugged into their iphones with earbuds blaring...

Good for the mahogany market!

P.S. Hearing loss is SO gradual (usually) that you have no idea how much you're missing without a test.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chordpounder View Post
... I just really wish I could hear more. ..
I believe there is an element of training and practice involved to improve hearing.

Repetition of exposure to any sound makes it more accessible to your listening comprehension of it.

If we set aside the physical impact of aging that can get in the way, and just focus on different components of the sounds one at a time, there is a starting point.

So whether it is the tonal difference between two body styles of guitar, or, a question of who is playing what in a particular tune - repeated replays will do more to educate your ears than anything else I can think of.

For example:

For songs:
Pick one instrument and listen to the song over and over to see how much more individually you can 'hear' that instrument with each replay.

Start with the Bass (if there is one in the song!) and then each other instrument.

For instrument comparisons:
Pick the song or songs that use the entire neck, and use that song t across all the choices for the fairest assessment.

Let us know if you find anything that helps!

yours in tune,
amyFB

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM

Every field of interest that generates "enthusiasts" is full of stuff like this. In the audiophile world it includes cables, power conditioners, rocks you put on top of your equipment, etc.

Bicycle people debate the merits of frame materials, disc brakes, tire width and pressure.

Guitars are no different. Some people hear huge differences, some hear subtle ones, some hear none at all. Some tell the truth and some bend the truth (to themselves, or to others, or both).

To some extent you can train or "educate" your ears by listening to as many different options as you can find, as often as you can. But in the end you go with what makes you happy.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Nope, you ain't alone. I'm with ya on about 95% of what you list. Pins, especially. Brass, bone, plastic, ebony... you name it, they all sound the same. I *DO* like the different looks, though. Saddles... same thing. Woods... well, maybe. You're right, with me it's probably an age thing.
Pins can make an audible difference, just not to everyone as evidenced by several mile long threads.

But even those that do hear the difference are the first to say it is not a large difference. And not being able to hear the difference just means you get to save a few bucks not having to try out every type of pin.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Richard;

Join The club,
Just like any another hobby or interest. The participants need to have topics to argue about. Most are hype. Exactly as Craig said it.

For instance in the Audiophool world, Cryogenic connectors ( faster response, Higher Frequency response ), Gold plated plugs ( better transfer of electrons ), Special Cryogenic treated Wall sockets ( for more pure electricity ). All a great selling feature designed to take the fools money.

If you can't hear a difference, Does it really matter then ? I think not, most of the differences are going to be out of your hearing range anyhow. Can you imagine if everyone agreed on everything. Where would that leave the Forum ?

Dan
Old 11-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chordpounder View Post
Am I alone here?
Nope, not alone, actually you're probably in the majority. Some of the threads are so silly they make me want to giggle.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 AM

My best friend has been a musician for 30+ years and is just now starting to hear differences in tone.

I have been playing guitar seriously for a short time but have been a musician for 20 years. Tone was a huge element to me straight out of the blocks, even as a beginner.

I think that part of it is having a "trained ear" but i also think that some people are just more sensitive to tonal changes.

Just my .02

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Guest 213

If I were you, I'd look on that as a blessing. Same goes to folks who say they can't tell the difference between a plywood guitar and a luthier-build instrument. That will save you sanity (on the former) and your pocketbook (on the latter).

Old 11-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Buy a guitar that sounds good to you and don't change anything. That's always my take on it. Be happy that you don't have such a finite ear that you hear every little nuance. Leave that to the luthiers and nitpickers.

Todd
Old 11-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
Pins can make an audible difference, just not to everyone as evidenced by several mile long threads.

But even those that do hear the difference are the first to say it is not a large difference. And not being able to hear the difference just means you get to save a few bucks not having to try out every type of pin.
Yeah, I know. That's why I didn't belabor that one. Brass pins really LOOK great to me.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM

There are things that I can pick up when I A/B them but not when I hear them individually. Plus, I'm a firm believer that in most cases, things only need to sound good enough. If I'm thinking about what wood your guitar is made of, whether it's laminate or solid, the strings you use, you have failed in your musical performance.

Having said that, there are a lot of things I'll spend money on that I don't HAVE to. I do realize that I'm sniffing corks, though, and that it doesn't really make that big of a difference. I won't argue for or against my choices in those cases.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:21 PM

I read your post with Andy Rooney's voice in my head and it was pretty funny .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion