The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Laminate vs solid - how to tell?

Looking at websites for various guitars. The language is confusing to me. How do I tell if the wood is solid or laminate? Some say solid wood top and rosewood B/S. Does that mean the back is not solid?
And... does it matter? My price range is under a grand.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM

If it doesn't say solid than assume it is laminate. Very few websites will tell you it's laminate. It's "code" that if it doesn't directly say solid it is laminate. So in your example only the top is solid.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 AM

it's the usual marketing language. Mention everything that is good and omit everything that is not. Everything not explicitly stated is implicitly false

Last edited by bancika; 11-13-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:55 AM

For the top, the easiest way to tell is by observing the grain pattern at the edge of the sound hole.

The grain pattern on a solid wood guitar follows continuously into the curve of the sound hole, while a laminate does not.

But, when shopping online, the rule of thumb is that if it doesn't specifically say it's a solid top or solid back and sides, then it's NOT solid wood. Don't be confused by terms like "Select Spruce"... that's just a fancy way of saying it's laminate.

But also, don't feel the need to dismiss a guitar with a laminate back or sides. Many, if not most of them, are actually quite excellent for the money.

Last edited by Buck62; 11-13-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 AM

The 98% answer is that specifying solid top and not sides means laminated sides. Solid is worth more so it's almost always stated if it is. Except for the exceptions, solid wood guitars sound better. It's the top that matters most, however.

I guess it's the exceptions that are the trick, but you have enough budget to get a really nice guitar.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 11-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Grain pattern at the edge of the soundhole tells you about the top. For back and sides you'd want to see a grain pattern INSIDE the guitar that matches the grain pattern on the outside. If they're different, it's laminated. And be aware that unless the specs state specifically "solid <whatever wood>" you can assume it is laminated.

That said, depending on how a guitar is built the materials of the back and sides have a very small impact on tone. Some manufacturers use laminated sides almost exclusively ... stronger, easier to shape, almost no negative impact on tone. There are others with golden ears who will disagree. Personally, I prefer all solid woods, but it's really not for any empirical reason ... I've played some fine sounding guitars with laminated b/s.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:03 AM

I have a Washburn WCG55CE on order. It is all Koa but since it does not say 'solid' - that means it is laminate, right?

Do I / Should I care?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 AM

Imagine it. Your guitar is LAMINATE because it DOESN'T say so....When it comes to revealing to the new consumer what their guitar is made of, manufacturers are dark, shifty and dishonest as any criminal. It is very despicable. I often read every description of every maker...and how they word their adds. Disgusting.

If ever a law was needed to be passed for the protection of consumers...it is a law forcing all guitar manufacturers to reveal in plain words what you, the consumer are paying $1000+ for.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerinin View Post
I have a Washburn WCG55CE on order. It is all Koa but since it does not say 'solid' - that means it is laminate, right?

Do I / Should I care?
Nope... not one bit.

If it sounds good and feels good to you, then it is good!

Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 AM

Strum the guitar in question. Does it sound like your listening to a guitar while wearing ear muffs? If it does, there is your hpl.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 11-13-2014, 11:14 AM

The one rule you can go by on this topic: a manufacturer will *never* fail to trumpet the fact that any part of the guitar is solid. If top, back, sides are solid, they will say so. The flip side of that, as others have said, is if they don't say it's solid, it's not solid.

As far as whether to care or not, it depends on a ton of different things, many of which are personal to the owner/player. If you love the sound, don't expect much, if any, improvement over time, and got the instrument for a fair and acceptable price, then who cares? You might even find it's less fussy about environmental (humidity) issues, as 90-degree cross-ply construction increases strength.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 11-13-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post
Imagine it. Your guitar is LAMINATE because it DOESN'T say so....When it comes to revealing to the new consumer what their guitar is made of, manufacturers are dark, shifty and dishonest as any criminal. It is very despicable. I often read every description of every maker...and how they word their adds. Disgusting.

If ever a law was needed to be passed for protection of consumers...it is a law forcing all guitar manufacturers to reveal in plain words what you, the consumer are paying $1000+ for.
In respect to a novice guitar customer, you're right, to some degree. But, competition and the amount of people who are "in the know" dictates guitar pricing. In other words, cheap guitars are priced accordingly, as are mid-range guitars and expensive ones. Any company that offered a cheapo guitar at a ridiculously high price would be signing it's own death certificate and be out of business in short order.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post

If ever a law was needed to be passed for the protection of consumers...it is a law forcing all guitar manufacturers to reveal in plain words what you, the consumer are paying $1000+ for.
There's nothing dishonest about it unless they say the back/sides are solid when they aren't. If someone really cares, and they are unsure from the ad, they will ask the company/dealer. If they don't ask, then I can only conclude they don't care enough for it to matter.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Grain pattern at the edge of the soundhole tells you about the top.

Is this really true? We have an old beater that has simply got to be laminate, but looking at the edges of the soundhole it sure looks solid. Do they have a way to mask this?

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 11-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_hillbilly View Post
Is this really true? We have an old beater that has simply got to be laminate, but looking at the edges of the soundhole it sure looks solid. Do they have a way to mask this?
See the following pictures. If you are still unsure, I suppose you could put a mirror and light inside the guitar and see if the grain on the underside of the top matches the outside.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion