The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
The wings on the headstock wouldn't bother me at all, since they're not visible from the front because of the rosewood headstock plate, and my guess (without seeing it myself) is that the joints are in the headstock only and don't continue down into the neck....
What about the heel (not that it will affect tone)?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheof View Post
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I've been wanting one for a long time and finally got it. It plays and sounds fantastic and is going to be handed down to someone in my family one day.

Having said that, I've been doing a little research and would like to check a few things with those better informed than me.

My D-18 looks about as plain-Jane as they come: plain spruce top with medium grain, "mahogany" back and sides. I say "mahogany", because I understand that Martin is using Sapele, which is reportedly somewhere within the mahogany family, albeit costing about half the price of traditional mahogany (whatever that is). The wood on my D-18 is also quite darker in color than what I'm used to seeing mahogany look like on guitars. In comparing it to the mahogany on my Gibson Hummingbird, the Hummingbird is much lighter in color and has a reasonably interesting appearance. Is Martin cheaping out on the new D-18 while promoting the new forward bracing and other "upgraded features"?

In addition, the headtsock on my D-18 also has "wings": pieces if wood about 1/4" wide on each side of the headstock which is only visible from the back. This too, I believe, is a process used to cut costs and wasn't the way the original D-18s were built. I realize that most Gibson guitars have done it that way for as long as I know, so that's not any kind of departure for Gibson. But is it a departure for Martin?

Lastly, Martin appear to no longer describe the neck wood as mahogany, but as "select hardwood". What is that??

Again, I love my D-18. But I'm curious to know if it's really the same D-18 that they used to make in recent decades, or has this model evolved into something rather different?

Anyone care to comment short of flaming me for pointing these things out and questioning them?

? I just got one. The neck is mahogany. It doesn't have wings. Most have dark mahogany and they always have. Is this some kind of trolling or something?

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
That's definitely mahogany. No question.

And lighter than I expected it to look, based on your description.
Thanks. I guess I was comparing it to my Hummingbird which is a lot lighter, plus some internet photos which usually look more like my Hummingbird too.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Mine is a million miles from plane Jane. The figured glossy mahogany back and sides look like a custom guitar.

It is, isn't it? an MFG Custom.

Gorgeous, by the way.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_hillbilly View Post
? I just got one. The neck is mahogany. It doesn't have wings. Most have dark mahogany and they always have. Is this some kind of trolling or something?
No trolling here. Just trying to learn about my new Martin. If anyone thinks I'm trolling, re-read my OP and also consider that, like many others, I have invested a lot of money in my guitars. I know a lot about many aspects of electric guitars, but not as much about acoustic instruments.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
What about the heel (not that it will affect tone)?
Not sure if it's a hypothetical question, but on a Martin neck with wings, the only thing affected is the outer edges of the headstock. The heel, neck shaft, and central portion of the headstock are one piece as always.

Their newer two piece necks are joined right down the middle, but that design has been trouble free for many other manufacturers. Don't see any reason to think it's a problem here.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 PM

So related to this... in a modern Martin guitar, is it safe to assume that the neck on your guitar is one of 2 things...

1. If your headstock has wings, then the rest of the neck is 1 piece?

or ...

2. If your headstock shows no wings, then you have a joined at the middle 2 piece neck?

It's not possible anymore in a regular production model to have a completely 1 piece neck *and* have no headstock wings?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbonline View Post
So related to this... in a modern Martin guitar, is it safe to assume that the neck on your guitar is one of 2 things...

or ...

2. If your headstock shows no wings, then you have a joined at the middle 2 piece neck?

It's not possible anymore in a regular production model to have a completely 1 piece neck *and* have no headstock wings?
It doesn't fit that formula as far as I know. Necks could have centre joins and/or wings. Or neither.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbonline View Post

or ...

Most martins have one piece necks, wings or not. Many martin necks are one piece without any wings.

Not that any of that matters at all. A one piece neck is not superior to a 2 piece neck
Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Guest 1928

I wouldn't say "most" at this point. Most of the Style-28 and above maybe, but not most in general.

Many Martin necks are one pice, but I'm seeing more wings and two-piece center joint neck. I have never seen a neck with a center joint AND wings. Based one standard lumber dimensions, I don't think that would be a practical neck for them to make.

This is what I've seen:

1. traditional one-piece
2. wings
3. two-piece center joint, no wings
Old 11-13-2014, 01:08 PM

I think my 2012 D-18 is far from "plain-jane" ... the classic appointments like the tortoise pick guard/binding, aging toner treated sitka top, and the open back tuners are quietly understated, but very nice.

My particular example made in early 2012 doesn't have wings on the head stock, but it wouldn't bother me if it did.

Finally, IMHO there is a very distinct difference in the look of sapele and mahogany. The D-18 is definitely not sapele.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 11-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
A one piece neck is not superior to a 2 piece neck
I think this is generally true, especially if your concern is strength. A well-constructed glue joint can be, and usually is, stronger than the wood it binds.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Default new d-18

The new D-18 is great. I had one and only got rid of it when I got my CEO-7. The sound to my ear was close. But, I do wish I 'd kept it....if nothing else just for the history. I really don't think Martin will make the D-18 in it's current form for long...I think it's too close to the much more expensive D-18GE..and to me the neck is much better. I wonder if the D-18GE sales have gone down?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
The new D-18 is great. I had one and only got rid of it when I got my CEO-7. The sound to my ear was close. But, I do wish I 'd kept it....if nothing else just for the history. I really don't think Martin will make the D-18 in it's current form for long...I think it's too close to the much more expensive D-18GE..and to me the neck is much better. I wonder if the D-18GE sales have gone down?
I don't think you'll be seeing the d18 go away, probably ever. There would be an uproar of disapproval.

I think the standard d18 probably outsells the GE by quite a bit. I wouldn't be all that suprised to see the GE gotten rid of, or changed significantly. A lot of people don't like the big neck
Old 11-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Well the difference in retail of $3,500 for the D-18GE vs. the retail of $2,250 for the standard D-18 will save you $1,250, more if you count the tax. With that $1,250 saving you could buy about 1,250 boxes of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (less of course if you set some of that aside for hot dogs and Pepsi).

I just checked the spec's on Martins web site, and for all that extra it seems you're getting:
-1935 Sunburst finish
-Adirondack top
-Adirondack bracing
-Brazilian head stock face plate
-Full-width saddle (as opposed to the drop-in type)
-Wider neck at the 12th fret
-Modified V neck profile

Though I'm sure the D-18GE totally smokes, it seems that those features are more directed at a niche crowd rather than commoners like me. So I agree and wonder if the sales of the D-18GE are past their peak. However, on the other hand, Martin will always have a place for the standard D-18 (along with the 28, 35 and 40-styles and maybe even the 15, 16?).

Business and marketing I understand, acoustic guitars and the woods they're made of, I'm a noob.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion