The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE vs Yamaha LS-6M ARE

I'm both a huge Yamaha fan and a huge Epi fan, and own several of each brand. I'm going to be coming into a little pocket change, and am doing my research and zeroing in on several models.

Has anyone had the opportunity to A and B the two guitars I mentioned above, the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE and the new Yamaha LS-6M ARE? If so, which would you buy and why? I know I'd be happy with either. For a number of years the Epi Masterbilt AJ-500M has been my main workhorse.

I should ad that I need a guitar with a pu in it for open mikes and live performance. Which pickup is better?

Appreciate your opinion.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the Yamaha has a passive pickup. It would require a preamp.

I had a Masterbilt EF500rcce for years. I found the dual pickup system way better than average for built in electronics.

This is a bit of apples to oranges also. A dread versus a OM-ish body. All solid versus solid top. 1.75" nut versus 1.68". There are several other differences.

The Epi will have more volume and bass and the Yamaha will be more balanced.

FWIW I used to sell refurbs and have sold a lot of Masterbilts.

I think if you want variety the Yamaha is a good choice but there is a lot of pretty good stuff out there in that price range too.

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Charmed,

Consider Epiphone's IB64 Texan. The electronics are fantastic. Mine came with a bone nut and saddle (it was built in Indonesia in January 2014) and is a marvelous guitar (Solid top & back with electronics at just $399). It has high quality laminate sides which helps to not crack over time...very well suited to live gigging.

Last edited by cliffenstein; 11-13-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Yamaha has a passive pickup. It would require a preamp.

I had a Masterbilt EF500rcce for years. I found the dual pickup system way better than average for built in electronics.

This is a bit of apples to oranges also. A dread versus a OM-ish body. All solid versus solid top. 1.75" nut versus 1.68". There are several other differences.

The Epi will have more volume and bass and the Yamaha will be more balanced.

FWIW I used to sell refurbs and have sold a lot of Masterbilts.

I think if you want variety the Yamaha is a good choice but there is a lot of pretty good stuff out there in that price range too.

Roy
Roy, thanks, appreciate your opinion. Yes, they are a bit different. I was thinking the Yamaha cuz I do a lot of barehanded fingerstyle work these days and like a smaller bodied guitar for that kind of playing. I will check into the need for a preamp on the Yammie.

Big Masterbilt fan here, so something to chew on. I'm also going to be in the market for an Eastman slope dread as well, which will actually come before this purchase, so maybe getting a little ahead of myself.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffenstein View Post
Charmed,

Consider Epiphone's IB64 Texan. The electronics are fantastic. Mine came with a bone nut and saddle (it was built in Indonesia in January 2014) and is a marvelous guitar (Solid top & back with electronics at just $399). It has high quality laminate sides which helps to not crack over time...very well suited to live gigging.

Cliff, thanks. I've heard a lot of great things about the IB64 around this board and elsewhere. Another one to consider. One reason I liked the Masterbilt DR-500MCE was because it was a cutaway, which I don't yet have in my collection. Decisions, decisions. I also usually prefer to buy used, so this may also be a factor as far as availability.

By the way, for anyone interested, here's a really awesome one on Ebay for a ridiculous price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPIPHONE-INS...item418a4065f0

I have the money now, but I tend to be methodical and slow-moving in my acquisitions before I pull the trigger. The reason? Unlike a lot of folks, I tend to buy my instruments for life. I rarely, if ever, buy a guitar and eventually grow tired of it. Once in a while, if I see a ridiculous deal, I'll buy something specifically to fix it up and flip it for income, but I go in knowing that it's an investment and a business decision, not a permanent member of the family, and I don't grow too attached to it. I did that this summer on a gorgeous 1969 Brazilian D-35, which I sold within a month, but I already have an HD-28 that I love, so I knew going in I wasn't going to keep it.

Anyway, thank you. Great video too.

CL
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Roy, thanks, appreciate your opinion. Yes, they are a bit different. I was thinking the Yamaha cuz I do a lot of barehanded fingerstyle work these days and like a smaller bodied guitar for that kind of playing. I will check into the need for a preamp on the Yammie.

Big Masterbilt fan here, so something to chew on. I'm also going to be in the market for an Eastman slope dread as well, which will actually come before this purchase, so maybe getting a little ahead of myself.

Thanks!
You should look at the Eastman E6om. It is smaller than the Yamaha but WAY louder and with better tone and sustain. If you want a big sound you should also look at their GA sized stuff. My ac522 is more than a match for all but the best of dreads. Extremely powerful and good for fingerstyle too. Very veratile (but LOTS of overtones). It would blow a Masterbilt out of the room volume wise. The Masterbilt and Yamaha both are more fundamental sounding.

I think it will do both things that you seek in one tool. It's definitely worth checking out IMHO. Just my .02

Happy hunting,

Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
You should look at the Eastman E6om. It is smaller than the Yamaha but WAY louder and with better tone and sustain. If you want a big sound you should also look at their GA sized stuff. My ac522 is more than a match for all but the best of dreads. Extremely powerful and good for fingerstyle too. Very veratile (but LOTS of overtones). It would blow a Masterbilt out of the room volume wise. The Masterbilt and Yamaha both are more fundamental sounding.

I think it will do both things that you seek in one tool. It's definitely worth checking out IMHO. Just my .02

Happy hunting,

Roy
Yep, I'm a big Eastman fan as well. I've actually already decided on the E-10SS model once I pull trigger. I'm in the process of selling a Les Paul to finance that purchase, but I'm sure it won't be the last Eastman I buy. Wonderful guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion