The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 PM

Default It's getting easier to play out..

I played my guitar at the senior center again tonight....60-70 people were there...I did good, I was able to follow along with the other players fairly well. I'm learning their songs and chord progressions...my fingertips didn't hurt at all, I was all over the neck of that guitar. One lady commented on my guitar, I guess she heard I paid $2,000 for it and she said I stole it. She would be happy to pay $2,000 for it. I tried out the California Fender tuner, and that worked out well for me. Again I was offered the main vocalist mic, but declined, just not ready for that yet. Maybe next week. I saw two guys there tonight that I used to work with years ago...one of them played guitar sang, and played harmonica...Again it was a good time and everybody went home happy. The seniors there love it !! It's fun night out for them and us.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-12-2014, 08:18 PM

I wonder who enjoys it more, you or the residents?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:20 PM

I applaud you!

If I ever get the nerve to play before an audience, it will be at a senior home. I just feel relaxed among older folks maybe because in my mind they are more forgiving, less critical than younger ones.

Good man djwayne.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm just glad you found your outlet and more importantly a way to give back. Sounds like a lot of fun...wish we had something like that here. I'd be all about that. Looking forward to your next report...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 PM

Good for you- and for the audience! That's what it's all about, making music and making people happy. Enjoy the experience! Keep it up!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:29 PM

A good time is had by everybody...this is a very big deal for the seniors, and they all come out regularly. This is their enjoyment. They love having people play for them, even if they aren't that good. One lady brings her crocheting project and works on it while listening to the music. Another lady was celebrating her birthday tonight and bought cake and ice cream for everybody !! It's a big party !! Ya I'm having fun, I get to play out with some really good musicians...I see some very interesting guitars...tonight one guy had a beautiful Ovation with a gorgeous top and rosette....it was really stunning, I never seen an Ovation that nice before.......anybody who has a desire to do it, I'd say don't wait, find a senior center and go for it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Great story! Think of all the seniors who are boasting about how much of a good time they're having because of all the joy you bring them!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 PM

That D-35 is magic. It just sounds so good with the other guitars, it's really nice. When everybody is playing the same chords it just all blends together very nicely. Buying that D-35 was a very good move.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-13-2014, 12:19 AM

And it will get easier year after year.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:13 PM

a quality guitar that's comfortable and inspires you to play is priceless. sounds like lot of fun...and playing with other musicians is an excellent way to get better faster. also playing in front of an audience hones another set of skills and forces you to practise the pieces so you can play them decently. and then people get to enjoy music. sounds like a great victory for everyone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion