The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Default Taylor 812 12 Fret Owners (2014)...

I have a lovely new 2014 712e 12 fret, but I'm not in love with the Taylor electronics. In fact, I really don't need them at all. I was thinking about getting the 2014 812 12 fret without electronics, and was wondering if the 812 is really that much better in terms of volume and tone. Also, I don't want to rely on medium trebles to give a balanced response, so do lights work well on this guitar?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM

There is no doubt the new 812s are louder and have more sustain. But if you like the 712 I would not dump it because of the electronics.

I have guitars with the both ofthe current es systems. They work fine for me.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 AM

From a resale perspective I wouldn't drop the ES on that guitar - it will hurt the value when you go to sell. Just leave it in there and ignore it - you won't even know it's there!
Old 11-12-2014, 08:49 AM

Unless you can try a new 812 first I would hang onto the 712. You may find the new 812 tone isn't for you. It's certainly different but I wouldn't say it's altogether better.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Hi Guys,
It's weird that 512 and 812 12 fret guitars are built without electronics, but not 712 frets. Pulling out the electronics would leave 3 holes in the bridge and upper bout side, and the Tru Plug things don't look any better than knobs, at least to my eyes.

If I needed electronics, I'd probably go with the L.R. Baggs Lyric. On the rare occasion I do play plugged in, I'm beginning not to hate the noise produced by the ES2 system, but I play mostly fingerstyle.

The fear of getting a guitar online with tone I don't like is the reason I bought this 712. I was able to see it had a proper string height, as well as a decent amount of saddle remaining. As much as Taylors are easy to play, I've seen plenty that were a tad higher than factory spec, and with low saddles. Either the saddles were lowered to get close to specs, or the necks were set wrong. The local GC has a 314ce on clearance for $1,250. I thought about buying it for my son, but the e string has very little break angle, and the strings are above specs.
Even their tech said he'd like to see more saddle on that guitar. I've spent a bundle in the past year on return shipping fees, so....
Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
Unless you can try a new 812 first I would hang onto the 712. You may find the new 812 tone isn't for you. It's certainly different but I wouldn't say it's altogether better.
Could you please elaborate on the differences, Dodge? I've played the 712 12 fret and thought it sounded great, but I haven't played an 812 12 fret. Like the original poster, I'm wondering about the sound differences.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:50 AM

I would try to learn how to sue the new es. Are you using a DI?

Mine is run through a Fishman Spectrum Aura pedal and sounds great.

I agree about the tone. I just went to a Taylor Road show last night and tried a

few 12 frets. I liked them all and they are all different. Thats why they make all

the models.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post

I agree about the tone. I just went to a Taylor Road show last night and tried a

few 12 frets. I liked them all and they are all different. Thats why they make all

the models.
Yes, I'd like to learn how to sue my es system also.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 PM

Default Has your ES System hurt you physically or caused you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbayless View Post
Yes, I'd like to learn how to sue my es system also.
emotional distress or lack of consortium? Does it have cash or insurance? IF not, don't waste your time.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post

the models.
I want to plug into a small amp, and get true acoustic sound...all without any effort. Seriously, I backed the adjustment screws way out, turned down my treble and bass on the guitar, and it produces a pretty decent tone. I'm not looking for something to perform with, just a little boost at small gatherings. I played an ES1 314 and an ES2 814 at GC a couple of days ago, just to hear what ES1 sounds like in comparison. The amp wasn't turned up much, and the 314 was first. When I played the 814, I thought it was remarkably acoustic sounding. It took about a minute before I realized the guitar's volume was turned all the way off!!! It had that much more volume! Turning up the volume revealed string noise, but still a more acoustic sound. That guitar appeared to have its adjustment screws turned down pretty tight, but that was the end of ES1 saving the day.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Frank,

I have a Taylor 12-Fret from 2011, which is close but not exactly the same as the current 812 12-Fret. I typically use D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light gauge) and they sound great on the guitar. I would never use medium strings for the high E and B on any guitar, first because that's not the sound I want, and second, because those heavier strings kill my arthritic finger joints. My guitar has the 2nd generation ES and I took the battery out and simply ignore it.

- Glenn
Old 11-12-2014, 09:04 PM

Hi Glenn,
I tore the medium strings off immediately, and put on a set of EXP16's. Coated strings are another new step for me, and they did provide nice tone and volume on my 514 FLTD. I don't have any sets of EJ16's left, but I'll have to get some.

In another thread regarding Taylor using Elixir HD's, I noted it was very strange for a company that is known for easy playing guitars, to use strings that are more difficult to play. It's been said that Andy Powers designed the new 800 series to be used with medium trebles, hence my original question regarding loss of volume and tone with light strings. The shorter scale of my 712 made the medium strings feel better than they do on longer scale Taylors, but I'm always looking for easier playability.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Frank,

I have a Taylor 12-Fret from 2011, which is close but not exactly the same as the current 812 12-Fret. I typically use D'Addario EJ16 (PB, light gauge) and they sound great on the guitar. I would never use medium strings for the high E and B on any guitar, first because that's not the sound I want, and second, because those heavier strings kill my arthritic finger joints. My guitar has the 2nd generation ES and I took the battery out and simply ignore it.

- Glenn
Glenn... sounds like you and I have the same guitar It's my absolute favorite. I strongly dislike (ok...hate) the Taylor ES. I've bypassed the ES on both of my Taylors. I've basically left the "guts" in tack, including the v/t controls, and swapped the preamp jack with the Truplug end pin plate. I have a Schatten Artist SBT in the 12 fretter, and a K&K pwm/Fishman UST hybrid in my 414CE FLTD. Easy to put back to stock, if I ever decide to sell either guitar. A couple of days ago I mistakenly put on some Elixir HD "Lights" for the 12 fretter, thinking they were normal gauge light. What the hell was Elixir thinking? Just horrible... especially since after two left hand/finger surgeries...way too much tension.

Steve
'14 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE - OEM Fishman pup
Kala KA-ASAC-T - Solid Acacia Uke w/ JBB pup
Genz Benz Shen 80LT Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion